Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old January 29th, 2007, 02:28 AM
Uniquest Hero and Classic Drafter 2008

Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker
Scenario Compilation

There are plenty of maps to be had in this section, but many are provided only as battlegrounds, with the details left up to the player. This isn't bad - I kinda like doing my own thing - but I thought I'd put together some kind of tool to fill this void.

Dunno if this will help anyone, but I put together a list of elements that have been seen in official heroscape scenarios. I may change some of the categories around as things develop. I've tried to keep the official wording on many, but some are simply "too wordy" and have been paraphrased. My aim is for this listing to give people more ideas for their own scenarios, or for it to be used for impromptu scenarios on existing maps.

I've only surveyed official scenarios and some of Chicano's. I've added one or two elements from my own maps and scenarios. Eventually, I'd like to see elements added from other members' scenarios - I know there are a lot of them out there, but I haven't delved that deep just yet. Please post if you have anything you'd like me to add. With that said, here it is:

Heroscape Scenario Compilation

Setup

Only Unique Heroes may be played (The Meat Grinder – Carvin’ Marvin)

Terrain Tiles

(Water) All figures except Soulborgs must roll the 20-sided die for survival upon entering any water space. If you roll a 1, your figure is destroyed. If you roll a 2-4, your figure takes 1 wound. Double-space figures roll only once to cross when using the same water space on the same turn. (RTTFF – Fall of the Dumatef Bridge)

(Water) The waters around the shelf are highly contaminated by Marro Plague. When rolling for Marro Plague for figures adjacent to hounds, also roll for figures standing on water tiles. This particularly virulent strain of Marro Plague somehow also affects Soulborgs. (Kahrma – Marrden Lair)

(Water) Over the water tiles and the island itself blows a constant wind of rannveig, so no flying is allowed over those tiles. (Chicano – Bridge Switch)

(Lava Fields) Add +1 attack and +1 defense to any hero figure that does NOT receive a wound after rolling for lava field damage. A figure may only receive this bonus once. (Kahrma - Vulcan Wellspring)

(Sand) Due to the recent rains, all sand spaces have turned to mud. Each figure uses up 2 moves on each sand space. (MS – To Take Barrenspur)

(Sand) Conquer Land: Sum the points for each player’s Hero figures standing on sand tiles. Add an additional 50 points for each Hero standing on sand tiles at level 3 or higher. The player with the most points gains a +2 movement bonus for all friendly units without flying ability. (Chicano – Squad Mission)

Reinforcements

(Players 1, 2, and 3 start with 350-point armies) At the ends of rounds 2,3,4, and 5, Player 3 rolls for reinforcements on the 20-sided die and uses the following chart to determine reinforcements:
1 = No reinforcements this round
2-5 = 25 points of reinforcements
6-10 = 75 points of reinforcements
11-15 = 125 points of reinforcements
16-19 = 175 points of reinforcements
10 = 200 points of reinforcements
(RTTFF – Fall of the Dumatef Bridge)

At the end of every round, all players with figures still on the battlefield may roll the 20-sided die to see if their reinforcements have arrived. After Rounds 1 and 2, any player who rolls a 16 or higher may place reinforcements. For all other rounds, players only need to roll an 11 or higher to place reinforcements. Reinforcements are placed as follows: draft (roll for draft order, if needed) or bring pre-made 160-point armies that have not previously been destroyed in the game. Army Cards with “The Drop” special power can’t be chosen. Place reinforcements in your original starting zone, and use them as part of your army. Each player can only receive reinforcements once, if at all. (MS – Winter Holdout)

Mass Effects

Deadly Storm: If the game reaches the end of round 8, a violent, unforgiving storm rages through the battlefield. Each player rolls the 20-sided die. Starting with the lowest roller and continuing clockwise, each player rolls 6 attack dice. Players must assign any skulls rolled to one or more figures as wounds that are undefendable by normal defense or special powers. If the damage destroys a figure, remove it from the battlefield. You cannot assign more skulls than are needed to destroy a figure. After all players have rolled their 6 attack dice, roll the 20-sided die again to determine a new low-roller. Play continues until only one player is left. The last player to survive the storm wins the game. (TT – The Deadly Frozen Wellspring)

Storm of Frozen Shards - At the end of each round, before order markers are placed, the last player in the round to take a turn rolls the 20-sided die to determine if the Storm of Frozen Shards affects the round. If you roll 15-20, nothing happens and play continues normally. If you roll 1-14, the storm suddenly engulfs the battlefield. In turn order, affected players must roll 6 attack dice and assign any skulls rolled to one or more figures as wounds that are undefendable by normal defense or special powers. If the damage destroys a figure, remove it from the battlefield. You cannot assign more skulls than are needed to destroy a figure. If a player is eliminated during the storm, the other player immediately wins the game. (TT – Storm of Frozen Shards)

Deadly Gas – At the end of every round, the deadly gas is one level higher. (At the end of Round 1, the gas covers level 1 and all water spaces on the board. At the end of Round 2, it also covers all of level 2, and so on.) The gas cannot rise above level 5. (MS – A Toxic Mist)

Divine Destruction: At the end of the round, after the last order marker is revealed and the turn taken, remove the entire high level of the battlefield. Any figures, ruins, and glyphs on this level are destroyed. The only tiles that will not be removed are water and sand tiles on level 1. (The Meat Grinder - The Gawds Must Be Crazy)

Wind Storm: There is a storm raging in the swamps, so there can be no flying or parachuting. Army Cards with “The Drop” special ignore that power and are placed just like other figures. (MS – Under Tempest’s Cover)

Nightfall: The battle begins towards the evening. It’s getting darker, so range is lowered as the game proceeds. All ranged attacks, normal and specials, are lowered by the increasing darkness. R-Range is always at least 1. At break of dawn (round range begins to return to normal. . Round 1 = range –0. R2=r-2; R3=r-4; R4=r-6; R5=r-8; R6=r-8; R7=r-8; R8=r-6; R9=r-3; R10+=r-0. (Chicano – Melee’s Night)

Glyph Usage

Force Multiplier: If a player occupies the Glyph of Brandar, the power of any other glyph that he/she occupies becomes multiplied by 3. For example: If a player has one figure on the Glyph of Brandar and one figure on the Glyph of Astrid, the power of the Glyph of Astrid is Attack +3 for all of his/her figures. (TT – The Deadly Frozen Wellspring)

Protection: The Glyph of Brandar is an artifact that provides a protective aura from the Storm of Frozen Shards for a player’s entire army. If a player has a figure on the glyph, he/she is not affected by the storm. (TT – Storm of Frozen Shards)

Minefield: Glyphs, including Glyphs of Brandar, are shuffled and placed symbol-side up on the battlefield. When a figure steps onto a glyph, the glyph is turned over. If the glyph is a Glyph of Brandar, the figure has stepped onto a mine. An opponent rolls 4 attack dice for the explosion damage. The figure on the glyph and all adjacent units roll defense separately. The explosion destroys any ruins adjacent to the glyph. Treat other glyphs according to normal rules. (Chicano – Marro Minefields)

Bridge Control: The game starts without the bridge. The player who first occupies a Glyph of Brandar must place the bridge in one of the two positions. The team/player who holds the most Glyphs of Brandar has control over the bridge. Each player of this team/this player can rotate the bridge to another position one time during their turn. If both teams/players occupy the same number of Glyphs of Brandar, all players can rotate the bridge one time during each turn. The bridge is rotated with all figures on it. If a figure occupies a field marked by grey dots (bridge bases), that figure is destroyed when the bridge is placed or rotated onto that field. If a figure leaves an engagement due to bridge movement, the figure does NOT receive leaving engagement attacks. (Chicano - Bridge Control)

Squad Mission: Two ruins are placed 3 hexes apart in a rectangular fashion. The Glyph of Brandar is placed in the center. When at least 3 non-flying members of a squad enter the ruins, one squad figure may capture the Glyph of Brandar. During turn marker placement, the player holding the Glyph of Brandar may place it on any squad army card with at least 1 figure remaining. Up to 3 destroyed figures from this army card are then placed in the player’s starting zone. The Glyph of Brandar is then taken out of the game. (Chicano – Squad Mission).

Wellspring activation: When a single-based hero figure steps on a Glyph of Brandar, the Glyph is placed on that hero figure’s army card. If the hero is destroyed, the Glyph is placed where the hero was standing. If the hero was destroyed by an adjacent singe-base hero, the Glyph is placed on the destroying figure’s army card. If a hero figure is adjacent to a wellspring while carrying the Glyph of Brandar, that hero may activate the wellspring before moving or attacking. Wellsprings of Healing (marked in yellow on map) - All friendly single-base heroes standing on may remove 3 wound markers. The activating hero is not healed. Wellspring of Revival (marked in green on map) - Up to 2 destroyed friendly squad figures from one army card may be placed in your starting zone. Each Glyph of Brandar can only be used once. Each Wellspring may only be activated twice. (Chicano – A Hero’s Mission)

Treasure: See Victory Conditions, below.

Special Rules

Strong unknown forces have always interfered with the use of any summoning powers. Figures that are successfully summoned must roll the 20-sided die. If a 19 or 20 is rolled, the figure is safe. If a 1-18 is rolled, the figure is destroyed. (FOTAK – Ambush at the West Barbican)

Lingering Spirits: Any Unique Hero that is destroyed is immediately placed on another Unique Hero card that player controls. A Hero receives +1 attack and +1 defense for each destroyed Hero figure on its card. If a Hero is destroyed and there are destroyed figures on its card, those figures are removed from the game. The Hero that was just destroyed may still be placed on another card. Heroes with spirit special powers add their spirit bonus in addition to the normal +1 attack and +1 defense bonus. (Soulrazor Canyon – Lingering Spirits)

Grass is Greener: Any figure that makes it to their opponent’s starting zone receives +1 attack and +1 defense while it remains in the zone. (Soulrazor Canyon – The Grass is Greener)

Carvin’ Marvin: The glyph of Mitonsoul is placed on a Unique Hero army card to represent Carvin’ Marvin (CM). In between rounds, before placing order markers, if no figure is possessed by CM, all figures roll the d20. The low roller is possessed by CM. At the end of the round, each player, in turn order, takes a turn with CM, even if he/she has no figures left. CM gets Move+4, Attack +4(to adjacent attacks only), Defense –1. CM loses all special powers (including flying) but gains Disengage and cannot be Mind-shackled. CM must engage and attack another figure, if possible. If no figure can be engaged, CM must move his full distance towards a figure and either use a range attack, or attack himself rolling no defense dice. (The Meat Grinder – Carvin’ Marvin)

Victory Conditions

Kill’em All! Destroy all of your opponents’ figures to win the game. In multi-player games, each player may have orders to destroy a particular player’s figures for the win.

Kill all of the....(from scenario involving one team of 5 squads of Marrden Hounds) If using 2 armies against the hounds, keep track of how many hounds each army kills. If/when there are no hounds left on the board, score 30 points for each hound killed and add this to the point value of the surviving figures in your army. Divide points for squads (i.e. if using Izumi Samurai, each surviving Izumi would be worth 20 points). Whoever’s total point value is highest, wins. The hounds win if no other figures are left on the board. (Kahrma - Marrden Lair)

Round limit: At the end of round (X), whoever has the most points on the board.

Objective: If a player has a figure on the Glyph of Brandar at the end of a round, then that player gets the (insert objective here) and wins. If no one has gotten the (objective) by round (insert round # here), then player X wins.

Capture the Flag 1: Reach you opponent’s flag before your opponent reaches yours.

Capture the Flag 2: Reach your opponent’s flag and carry it back to your starting zone. Instead of attacking, an unengaged figure may move onto and take their opponent’s flag. A figure that is carrying the flag cannot fly and must subtract 1 from their normal movement. If a figure that is carrying the flag is summoned or destroyed, the flag remains where the figure stood before being summoned or destroyed.

Take down the (castle) flag: Players are allowed to take down the Flag to win the game. To take down the Flag, a player must move a figure onto the orange start space with the X that is next to the Flag. This figure must be unengaged when taking down the Flag. After moving, instead of attacking with this figure, he/she may take down the Flag and remove it from the game. (FOTAK – The Siege of the West Barbican)

Zones: A player wins if, at the end of a round, he/she has control over two of the three zones. To have control of a zone you must have at least one figure, and your opponent cannot have any figures, in that zone. (VW – The Unexpected Battle)

Glyph Control: A player wins if he/she controls all or (X) number of glyphs for one entire round, starting from the initiative roll to the close of turn 3.

Grass is Greener: You win if all of your figures are in the opponent’s starting zone and there are no enemies in it. (Soulrazor Canyon – The Grass is Greener)

Scout: Player 1 takes one Glyph (including Glyph of Kelda) for each of his Unique Hero Army Cards, and secretly places one Glyph symbol-side up on each of those cards. The Glyph of Kelda represents the secret scout. If player 1 moves a Unique Hero onto the (objective), and it is the scout (with the Glyph of Kelda), then Player 1 turns over that Glyph and wins. If Player 1 does not get the scout to the (objective) by the end of round (X), then Player 2 wins, even if Player 2 has no figures left on the battlefield. (MS – Under Tempest’s Cover)

Shifting Assassination: Destroy all of your opponent’s figures that belong to a card with the “X” order marker on it, or destroy the other player’s army. (Soulrazor Canyon – Marked for Death)

Bridge: If the attacking team solely occupies the bridge, the attacking team wins (RTTFF – Fall of the Dumatef Bridge)

Treasure: Players get points equal to the treasures they recover. Glyphs are placed symbol-side up on map. When a figure lands on a glyph, the glyph is placed on the figure’s army card. When the figure returns to the start zone, the glyph is placed in your pile. If the figure carrying the treasure dies, the treasures remain where the figure died. Glyphs count as much as their bonus (i.e. Brandar = 0, Astrid and Gerda = 1, Valda = 2, etc.) and are not revealed until the game has ended – when one figure or no treasure is left. (The Meat Grinder – Carvin’ Marvin)
Old January 29th, 2007, 02:41 AM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Very cool list. If I have the time to make some cool maps, I'll try out some combinations of the stuff here. Definitely helpful, thanks!

317-149
C3V Brainstorm
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old January 29th, 2007, 08:48 AM

Bixby knows what's in an order marker Bixby knows what's in an order marker
Thanks Kahrma.

I have been compiling a similar list of our custom scenarios and other ideas I have gleaned from this site. This is a real bonus for me and my efforts. Thank you. Awesome work and much appreciated.

I think Scenarios are teh heart and sould of the longevity of this game. The variety of scenarios is one of the main areas this game gets to constantly redefine itself.

Namaste.
Old January 29th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Uniquest Hero and Classic Drafter 2008

Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker Kahrma knows what's in an order marker
Thanks you two! Update: some of Chicano's scenarios added.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios