Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old July 11th, 2010, 12:01 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness
In-house Meta Game

We all know what the Tourny meta-game is- All swarm squads and multi attack heros, rats and bacon etc. But what about YOUR Meta-game? Let's say you owned every heroscape figure but the B- or above. What would the Meta-game look like? If you owned all unquies? No 4 man squads? Or no ranged squads? What you have, your and your friends favorites, hated figures, customs, custom rules etc. determines your in house Metagame. I have a quite melee (Maccabius) friendly situation. I don't have Q9, the 10th, only 1 squad of the 4th, Blastrons missing there glad friends, no Braxas, and no Nilflem. The only real theart ranged theart to melee squads are my 4 squads of stingers, which are more of a theart to heros that anything. To lower the theart of melee squads, I bought three squads of WoA. That really slowed down the Dominant steamroller (I don't own KoW) but I started to get more worried about the rats, which my friend is really slowing our games down with. Suddenly my replousers had a pourpose! And it goes on and on. What is your in house Meta Game?

Mimring>Krug. 'Nuff said.

Last edited by Arrow Grut; July 11th, 2010 at 10:12 PM. Reason: I'm just hoping Oncara won't come up with something witty oh wait- He did!
Old July 11th, 2010, 12:19 PM

Odin_Osgard knows what's in an order marker Odin_Osgard knows what's in an order marker
Re: In-house Meta Game

For the longest time our House was hero oriented. Units like Charos were the most feared. We did team games so Taelord was actually a big threat. The Marro Warriors have always had really good luck with us.

Dund is just tricky, that's all.
Old July 11th, 2010, 12:21 PM
a lot of people... think I'm a girl

tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby! tubafication rolls all skulls baby!

Minions. Minions and more Minions.

Then Snipers.

My friends and I live for the thrill of rolling small amounts and getting large amounts in return.

EDIT: So I guess they are supposed to be below B-?
OH well.

I love birdies and butterflies and rainbows and unicorns and glitter.

Last edited by tubafication; July 11th, 2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old July 11th, 2010, 01:02 PM

Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby! Kaiser Cat rolls all skulls baby!

Tul-Bak-Ra and the dividers/drudge, if you're talking about nothing above B- level.

My in-house meta-game=10th regiment, Hydra, Braxas, and Orcs.

Spoiler Alert!
...In the Dream Cave...
Old July 11th, 2010, 01:49 PM

Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness

This is actually a very interesting concept. Especially in situations like mine where I rarely have more than one common figure. One of the most popular and feared units at my table is Major Q10. Red Skull is also popular because of the flexiblility he gives heroes. Our in house metagame remained fairly unchanged until wave 9. Atlaga a the Protectors were the only units to truly affect the in house metagame. Otonashi sort of affected the metagame, but only because we needed a filler. The elementals (once again fillers) and the Hydra were the only units from wave 11 to make an impact. I'm expecting that the Iron Golem and Werewolf lord will make an impact, but I'm not sure about anything else from wave twelve.

Old July 11th, 2010, 03:27 PM

chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness chaoserver wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My metagame goes through phases, usually at least two people are taking some combo or figure not often used. Generally one person will take a scary good army, or two will after seeing the firsts. What I mean by phases though is one person will use phantom knights in large numbers, clear house, and inspire more to use them, as one of my friends did, or something like killing off all range and using four squads of WOA like I did. Also some very good units may not be taken for several games, there was a time Krav was completely forgotten about, before one person drafted them, another did, and ultimately they got back to seeing almost every game.
Even though in a 4 player game players can team up on someone, Q9 really just is not smiled upon. Braxas and Cyprien hit the board nearly every game(at least one or the other does).
Old July 11th, 2010, 09:08 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness Arrow Grut wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiser Cat View Post
Tul-Bak-Ra and the dividers/drudge, if you're talking about nothing above B- level.

My in-house meta-game=10th regiment, Hydra, Braxas, and Orcs.
When I said nothing b- or above or that was just an example, oh well.

Old July 11th, 2010, 09:10 PM
The Dark Lord on his dark throne

Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth Sherman Davies is a man of the cloth

Here in Brooklyn, our local metagame is largely dictated by chas' collection and our mostly shared philosophies towards the game. Chas owns one of all uniques and only two of most squads, with a few obvious exceptions like Zombies of Morindan and Marro Drones. Raelin and Major Q9 seldom hit the table, but Kaemon Awa and Kelda are mainstays.
Old July 11th, 2010, 09:14 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

My meta-game is to have fun...tournament, home or otherwise
Old July 11th, 2010, 10:12 PM
Treasure Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
My meta-game is to have fun...tournament, home or otherwise
Aha! I knew you'd come up with something witty!

Old July 11th, 2010, 11:12 PM

nuk is surprisingly tart

I have a pretty good collection, but I mostly play with my nephews and son. They pick units they find fun (Krug), and I try to pick an interesting army that won't crush them.

Workers of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains.
Old July 12th, 2010, 08:43 AM

AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness AMIS wears ripped pants of awesomeness

My older son sticks with soldier (Sgt. Drake/AE/10th) then he fills in with whatever. I tend to stick with the Marro - Mostly Drudge and Grubs with Tor-Kul-Na so I can lose quickly and help them stick to the rules (yeah, that's it ). My youngest loves the incredible chomping abilities of Grimnak mixed with Viking and Heavy Gruts.

Normally, about the halfway mark of a three way game, the game breaks down to my youngest (who is three) yelling CHOMPCHOMPCHOMPCHOMP which could be considered cute but he storms accross the board forgetting there are rules and tossing figures aside that he chomps on while my older son gets upset about him "ruining" the game (he's only 6 after all).

That's when my true 'In-house Meta Game' breaks out as I console one and try to make sure the other isn't destroying the figures.

Once my wife or I manage to extract Grimnack from the unnatural monsterous grip of the young one and we put him to bed, I do a quick 300 pts battle with my oldest son before he goes to bed. My wife can often be seen in the background shaking her head at me and .

I'm not complaining here it's all part of a really good life.

Just when you thought it was all right, someone made it alright.

Good trades with - Porkins / xraine69 / mac122 (x2) / frylock / Ztimster (x2) and probably others I forgotten to mention...sorry.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles