Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old September 10th, 2007, 06:01 PM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
The Book of Raelin the Kyrie Warrior SotM

The Book of Raelin the Kyrie Warrior SotM
Swarm of the Marro - Master Set 2

If you cannot see the Army Card graphic, check Hasbro's Unit Page for stats and special powers, plus "character biography" and other non-game unit info.

Character Bio: Raelin the Merciful, Raelin the Resolute, Raelin of the Spear. All of these brave names and many more sing the praises of one of Jandar’s boldest champions. A unique creature even among her own race of Valkyrie, she flies through the skies filling her enemies with dread as they see her approach in the distance. Few characters have her speed and strength in combat, and her mere presence on the battlefield becomes an inspiration to all allies around her. Her Spear of Gerda has become a famed weapon as its blue energies protect all those around her.

With the certain knowledge that Raelin is guarding an ally’s back, friendly forces become better able to defend themselves, turning into killing machines as she protects their flank. Common troops flock to her side in support of her attacks, as her spirit and brave deeds are an inspiration to the allies surrounding her.

Flying above the canopy of the Ticalla Jungle, she’s the perfect scout, ignoring the thick vines constantly pulling on the rest of Drake’s squad. Complex land features like jungles, swamps, and mountain ridges mean nothing to her. Her powerful wings carry her through the skies.

(Hasbro)

-Combinations and Synergies-

Synergy Benefits Recieved
  • - ATLAGA - Kyrie Leadership - adds one movement space

Synergy Benefits Offered
  • - EXTENDED DEFENSIVE AURA: All units that you control within six sight spaces.
    *All units that you control within six sight spaces add one additional die when rolling for defense.

Power Ranking and Master Index
  • - TBA

Unit Strategy Review
  • - TBA

Last edited by Revdyer; February 9th, 2011 at 10:07 AM.
Old September 10th, 2007, 08:10 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun
The old one definately will still see playtime, but this one is pretty cool too. I just got the set and played the campaign and she cleaned up on the Marro hordes. Being able to attack everyone adjacent to her with a normal attack that can add height advantage, glyphs and whatever else is really helpful.

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old September 10th, 2007, 08:12 PM

STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker STAROCEAN980 knows what's in an order marker
But she's still Raelin. So she goes down fast if you throw her out there.

My maps:

R.I.P. Ugly-Caco
Old September 10th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaknight
The old one is better, maybe not cooler but better.
I would have to see. I like the idea of actually being able to use Raelin offensively. Her Whirlwind Attack is great, and furthermore, she can go a bit farther and still confer her (admittedly lower) Defense bonus.

Old September 10th, 2007, 09:29 PM
Most-CoNvincing Visionary

ProfessorDocker Woo who?
The change in New Raelin's Defense Aura seems like it was made to stop the rampant "supah defense" combos. It makes sense to me.

!Docker

ProfessorDocker is telling a story...
in the ALIZARIN CAVE...
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:47 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metaknight
The old one is better, maybe not cooler but better.
I would have to see. I like the idea of actually being able to use Raelin offensively. Her Whirlwind Attack is great, and furthermore, she can go a bit farther and still confer her (admittedly lower) Defense bonus.
Except that Raelin's stats aren't that great at all. All it takes is one unit to tie Raelin up, and her Whirlwind Attack is completely wasted. In addition, even assuming she gets height, she is a melee attacker, forcing her to make the ever-fatal rush towards ranged. It takes exceptional maneuvering for the new Raelin to do any damage that is notable, and with that in mind, I'd rather draft something else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorDocker
The change in New Raelin's Defense Aura seems like it was made to stop the rampant "supah defense" combos. It makes sense to me.

!Docker
Except that it doesn't at all, since people can still draft the Old Raelin. Admittedly, if I wasn't a stickler for rules, I would use the New Raelin's sculpt all the time.

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I'm very comfortable with the old Raelin, but I think we'll all grow to love the New. That larger range is going to be more handy than the extra defense and having figures closer together.
I'd love to read a discussion on when New Raelin would be used and with what units. Putting scenarios and layouts aside, what units would benefit most from New Raelin's extended, but less potent aura?

Here were some of my choices:
AE (spread about on a layout and with a longer aura range, they might all be able to benefit).
Highlanders - they (and their Champion) can be all over the board, giving up the heftier defense, but be a little more mobile
Gorillinators - fast and out front or in back, they could benefit from the aura to shore up their defense.
Blasts/Glads - help out the Blasts' weak defense and give those Gladiatrons a bit more survivablity.
Zooommmmbies 4 Defense Zombies? Nuff said.
Reavers - the headache got a little more.
EI -as their Stealth Flying allows them the chance to advance ahead sure that they have a bit more insurance to fend off attacks.
Old September 10th, 2007, 09:53 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour
I'm very comfortable with the old Raelin, but I think we'll all grow to love the New. That larger range is going to be more handy than the extra defense and having figures closer together.
I'd love to read a discussion on when New Raelin would be used and with what units. Putting scenarios and layouts aside, what units would benefit most from New Raelin's extended, but less potent aura?

AE (spread about on a layout and with a longer aura range, they might all be able to benefit).
Highlanders - they (and their Champion) can be all over the board, giving up the heftier defense, but be a little more mobile
Gorillinators - fast and out front or in back, they could benefit from the aura to shore up their defense.
Blasts/Glads - help out the Blasts' weak defense and give those Gladiatrons a bit more survivablity.
EI -as their Stealth Flying allows them the chance to advance ahead sure that they have a bit more insurance to fend off attacks.
I disagree with some of those...
AE: Your assuming that the AE not only don't drop on the first round, but that Raelin can get to where they're going to drop without getting slaughtered in the process.
Blasts/Glads: Really, it's just soooo much easier to keep Rae adjacent to the Blasts. The Blasts are rarely moving anyways, so it's benefical if they have 2 extra defense instead of just one. Admittedly though, I don't have the Blasts.
Reavers: I see Reavers as a "Fire and Forget". I'd rather use the rats as fodder to allow me to move some other units into posistion, like a Q9/10 plus Old Raelin combo. I don't see the worth in using the New Raelin with the rats. If you really wanted to increase their defense, you could increase their defense to six with the Old Rae, and rush her back when you're finished distracting.
EI: It would help if the EI didn't have to be constantly on the move. They have one of the biggest bullseyes in the game on their heads, and they need to move like a prescisioned assasin squad to avoid being slaughtered. Frankly, if I have to move the New Rae at the same time I'm moving these, the EI are going to get slammed hard.

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old September 10th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Grindmaster

allskulls has disabled reputation
I like the old Raelin but the new one is more my style. I like to be on the attack and I love melee units. The 6 range aura +1 will help melee more effeciently than the 4 range +2. I used her with Drake 2, Sonlen and a couple of squads of Sentinels. She kept my Sentinels in the battle longer than they should have been and with her keeping her distance, when my Sentinels were done, she came into the battle at full power (she did get a dragon healing though). She took out some WoA's and a few Marro before going down. Counting the assists she gave the rest of her team, she was well worth the points and then some.
Old September 10th, 2007, 11:42 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody the Marro Stinger
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hex_Enduction_Hour

I disagree with some of those...
AE: Your assuming that the AE not only don't drop on the first round, but that Raelin can get to where they're going to drop without getting slaughtered in the process.
Blasts/Glads: Really, it's just soooo much easier to keep Rae adjacent to the Blasts. The Blasts are rarely moving anyways, so it's benefical if they have 2 extra defense instead of just one. Admittedly though, I don't have the Blasts.
Reavers: I see Reavers as a "Fire and Forget". I'd rather use the rats as fodder to allow me to move some other units into posistion, like a Q9/10 plus Old Raelin combo. I don't see the worth in using the New Raelin with the rats. If you really wanted to increase their defense, you could increase their defense to six with the Old Rae, and rush her back when you're finished distracting.
EI: It would help if the EI didn't have to be constantly on the move. They have one of the biggest bullseyes in the game on their heads, and they need to move like a prescisioned assasin squad to avoid being slaughtered. Frankly, if I have to move the New Rae at the same time I'm moving these, the EI are going to get slammed hard.
AE: Would old Raelin be better for the paratroopers? Or no Raelin at all? Why? Regardless when the Drop occurs, they're most likely going to be spread out and on high. I'd take New Raelin over old Raelin almost always with these guys.
Blasts/Glads: See, I like this one a lot as the upgrade Kyrie can be more offensive while nearly enhancing everyone. New Raelin can hop in among multiple Cyber Clawed opponents and deliver 3 attack dice to each where the Glads only get two - and only if they're activated themselves (which isn't likely to happen in a Blasts/Glads combo). If the spacing is correct, she is still enhancing the Blasts if she goes forward. I agree, the 'sooooo much easier' Old Raelin is a blessing to the Blasts in back, but I've done their army with only Old Raelin helping. As well, I tend to see the Glads go down sooner than the Blasts. If this begins to happen Blasts are always encouraged to go forward and enhance the Homing Device. Again, if I have multiple figures running around the battlefield, I'd like to enhance as many as I can, rather than just the few closest to Old Raelin. I think a very strong argument against New Rae with the Blasts/Glads is the points allotment. 80 works perfect with multiples of 140.
Reavers: I'm thinking New Raelin is the version you want with fast melee figures who don't need to be clustered and can be anywhere and everywhere on the board. I'd never take Old Raelin out to enhance Reavers. She becomes one big target. Rather, let the Reavers go out and hold positions wherever. Allow 6 ranged defense aura to assist where possible. She may not be an automatic shoe-in with Reavers, but again, I'm thinking fast, stand on their own, melee figures.
EI: If they're moving like a precise assasinating squad, they're not going hellbent to the front line. They're hoping about over ruins and trees and smacking where possible. Again, New Raelin's aura is there to assist as many as possible - including Kiova. Again the points issue with an EI makes me wonder if New Raelin is needed.
Old September 12th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
I agree with HEH on his choices. I still wouldn't necessarily use new Raelin all the time, but he purposefully chose units that either have lots of mobility or that you need to spend lots of order markers on. Either way, they'd benefit from having extended range. 1 more D is better than none at all.

Zombies especially. They're a squad that once you start moving, you have to keep moving, or your opponent will just start killing them all off. Additionally, if Raelin is 5-6 spaces behind your furthest zombies, any ranged squads will have to go well into brain-eating range to shoot at her.

I like the idea of EI too. 2x EI + Raelin= 400 points. 2x EI +Raelin+ Marcus = 500 points. Either one could be great in a map with lots of elevation, water, or cover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old September 12th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik
I like the idea of EI too. 2x EI + Raelin= 400 points. 2x EI +Raelin+ Marcus = 500 points. Either one could be great in a map with lots of elevation, water, or cover.
Even at 490, I think 2x EI + new Raelin + Kiova might be better, because everyone flies. On a rugged map, Marcus might cost more in his own order markers than he offers in faster EI movement.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units