Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion
Marvel Discussion General discussion, units, rules & FAQs specific to Marvel HS

Old August 11th, 2007, 02:06 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
After ten months of waiting I can finally give MY first impressions. We played two games of strictly Marvel. The first we played was the Hulk Mad scenario, which I thought we pretty fun. I played Hulk and got most of my kid's army down to near death. Once Abomination was able to hurt me then the tide turned.

The second game we played with 5 on a side (didn't add up points) and that was a blast. It lasted a decent amount of time, too. I had Spidey and Venom and Spidey avoided almost all attacks while Venom had trouble running from any of them. Doom never mindshackled but not for lack of trying. Thanos knocked out Silver Surfer in one shot, which was neat to see. Cap got several opportunities to throw his mighty shield, not for great effect but it whittled down Abomination, Hulk and Iron Man. Thanos came back! That was great. Thanos and Spidey found themselves against Hulk, Abomination and Red Skull. I took out Abomination finally and the little one moved Red Skull up between Thanos and Spiderman and succeeded on the Death Dust roll.

Simply awesome game. Next we'll probably throw them in with the regular HS armies and see what happens. I imagine she's going to be adding Hulk to her Vydar army on a regular basis, while I'll probably be relying on the Cap/Minutemen combo.

WalMart can suck it.
Old August 11th, 2007, 02:48 PM

Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker Kepler knows what's in an order marker
I picked up the Marvel set last night and I love it. The figs are very nicely done (among the best in HS). I am not a comic book fan, but have some familiarity with the good guys at least. For each one I think they capture the essense of the characters pretty well. Not much terrain, but I knew that going in.

My son and I played a game this morning. I used a lot of regular scape terrain. It was map with 5 hills of height 8-12. There was a section of concrete on one side and a section of asphalt on the other, with a road of concrete connecting the two (the road went through a single hex gap between two hills in the middle).

I played the villians and he played the heros (we used all the figs). Red Skull did very well for me (the DoD SA took out CA and Spiderman). His Silver Surfer took out 4 of my 5 guys. The battle came down to SS vs Thanos. It was close but he won.

I like the game a lot. I can't wait until we combine it with classic HS.
Old August 11th, 2007, 03:31 PM

TweetyBird has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetcurse
Not a lot of real tactics. Just a lot of running up and hitting. With so much ground to cover it was much easier to simply send heroes one at a time to fight so order markers were fairly irrelevant. In a smaller map that effect is reduced because everyone pretty much starts already engaged.
I've experienced a lot of this even in regular Heroscape, but the problem is definitely more pronounced in the Marvel set. As a result, many of our games have had a very one-note feel to them, wherein the best approach is usually to keep activating your strongest unit until it's destroyed, at which time you begin repeating the process with your second-strongest unit.

Quote:
I would suggest when playing a big map to allow order markers to work like this:

No more than one order marker per card when there are three or more of them. Allow double marker on a card only when there are two cards left, and triple order marker when there's only one card left. This should help increase team work and reduce cruise missile play.
That's exactly what we've begun doing, and it has helped the thematic feel of the game at least a little bit.

Other games I'm currently enjoying:
BattleLore
Capes & Cowls
Return of the Heroes
Old August 11th, 2007, 04:17 PM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker
I have always thought that I would definitely mix Heroscape and Marvelscape together, but after playing 4 games of Marvelscape on its own, I rather like the new game separated.

I will probably mix the two 'scapes occasionally, but I really like the quickness of Marvelscape. If I don't have time for the 1-2 hour strategyfest that I usually like to play, I can get in a quick game of Marvelscape before dinner. Also, even though I do wish there was a little more, I think the terrain looks great. I hope they come out with another box like this one with 10 characters and more terrain (with a new obstacle or two of course). I think it was well worth the $24.99 plus tax I paid for it though.
Old August 11th, 2007, 05:47 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSisforcoolkids
I have always thought that I would definitely mix Heroscape and Marvelscape together, but after playing 4 games of Marvelscape on its own, I rather like the new game separated.

I will probably mix the two 'scapes occasionally, but I really like the quickness of Marvelscape. If I don't have time for the 1-2 hour strategyfest that I usually like to play, I can get in a quick game of Marvelscape before dinner. Also, even though I do wish there was a little more, I think the terrain looks great. I hope they come out with another box like this one with 10 characters and more terrain (with a new obstacle or two of course). I think it was well worth the $24.99 plus tax I paid for it though.
Yeah, I'm enjoying having a Marvel map set off to the side. It's great for a quick throw down match or something to play while the next big classic war is getting set up.
Old August 13th, 2007, 12:12 AM

fejkl Woo who?
Just got it tonight at WM with the kids along. Played a 4-player, 2-team game. I chose Doom, son had Venom. Other son had Spidey, and daughter had SS.

Doom came out and did nothing. SS KO-ed Doom with one hit. So it's Venom vs. all. After Spidey and Venom roll an INSANE amount of successful Spider Sense rolls (yes, even Venom), Venom finally takes out Spidey. It was really sweet, though, as Venom would roll 4 hits, only to have Spidey Spider Sense away. Then Spidey charges back, only to have Venom Spider Sense away. Very much like their fights go sometimes.

SS, meanwhile, couldn't roll more than 2 hits when Venom didn't Spider Sense, and Venom kept saving. Every time he rolled 4 or 5 hits, Venom would roll a 14 or higher. Finally, Venom rolls 4 hits and KO-s SS...we win.

Next game just vs. daughter. I had Abomination and Red Skull, she has Hulk and Iron Man. Abomination makes quick work of Iron Man thanks to him rolling no defense. Abomination pounds Hulk up to 9 attack before succombing to the Smash. Hulk turns around and rolls 6 hits on RS, but I roll 2 saves. Next turn, Dust-of-Death hits the 20...Good-bye Hulk.

In all, the scuplts are sweet. I love the fact that I can just pick this up, play with my kids, and be done 20 minutes (or less) later. Very fun to have this, and it's nice and small so it takes up very little room at our kitchen table.

No signature here. Just keep moving on.
Old August 13th, 2007, 12:56 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I bought it for my son's birthday (this Sunday) but haven't played it yet. I will say I am extremely dissapointed with the amount of terrain and do not see buying any more of the master sets to get more terrain...with that said I am going to guess that we are either going to fully integrate the charachters into HS or else we may go with a more traditional square board, mainly because we can build great city scapes with building model kits, legos and paper buildings
Old August 13th, 2007, 01:25 AM

ROM has disabled reputation
I got the game out for the first time today to take it for a spin. I had no one to play against so while not an "official" game it did give me an opportunity to see the how the mechanics of the game work since I've not played the classic HS either.

I had an all-out 5 on 5 heroes versus villains battle. The Red Skull failed a DOD attempt on the Hulk with his first turn and never got another chance as he was killed before his second turn. It was awhile before another character went down but then it was Doom, Venom and Surfer.

This leads me to my first rules question. I had Spider-Man adjacent to Abomination and moved him one space which would place him between Abomination and Captain America (to get the bonus, natch!).

1) If you move a character that is engaged to a spot that keeps the character engaged to the same character do you still roll for breakaway?

I wasn't sure, so I rolled and Spider-Man took his final wound. (what a way to go). Abomination followed, which left Thanos (with 5 wounds) against Iron Man, Hulk and Captain America. Thanos went down and the heroes prevailed. Iron man was the only figure to not receive any wounds.
Anyway, I can't wait to introduce this game to my nieces and nephews.
Old August 13th, 2007, 01:42 AM

Temprit is surprisingly tart
At first I really didn't like it, But it's starting to look sweet. And seeing what figures are in the 1st wave It's looking really sweet.

Super Skrull

"Showing off is the fool's idea of glory."
Old August 13th, 2007, 01:51 AM
"Blame it on me" (was #3...)

Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Sweetcurse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
You do not roll breakaway if you remain engaged. Basically you can dance around each other freely.

Sweetcurse is Sujoah...

in the
Perth Keep...
Old August 13th, 2007, 02:08 AM

ROM has disabled reputation
Quote:
You do not roll breakaway if you remain engaged. Basically you can dance around each other freely.
Great. I'll keep that in mind.
Old August 16th, 2007, 06:17 PM
Forum Moderator

ChilliDog knows what's in an order marker ChilliDog knows what's in an order marker ChilliDog knows what's in an order marker
Well, last night I was at Wally World and noticed that the HS was all moved. Hmm, interesting. I finally stumbled upon it and upon the shelf, next to the Wave 5 and MS that had been there forever were 3 sets of Marvel Legends. I hadn't originally planned on getting it but as I thought about it...why wouldn't I? So I picked it up for $25 last night and my brother and I are about to start our third game. I love it. Can't wait to get the expansions.

Guess who's back, back again? Chilli's back. Tell Skahen.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Marvel Discussion