Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old January 1st, 2015, 01:21 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthias Maccabeus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:

15. Star Wars: Imperial Assault - 11 (Yes I've only had it less than 2 weeks and no I haven't been this excited about a game since Heroscape or maybe Descent. If you like Star Wars and Descent this is a MUST buy. I am looking forward to all this has to offer. I even played the Skirmish mode and enjoyed it as well)
A friend of mind from my group was at our event last night for a little while and said that he has played the first 3 missions of Imperial Assault and was disappointed, kind of like with Descent 2.0.

He said it seems like it's totally goal orientated and that you just run by the bad guys to try to complete your goal. So basically ignoring the dude with the heavy laser cannon to move past him and try to destroy something or other, meanwhile taking a hits from the laser cannon dude. The thing he said about this one mission is that you only have like 6 rounds to complete the mission and can't spare a turn to attack.

He said it was similar to Decent 2.0 for him in that you would just run by big bad monsters to get to your quest or whatever. Seemed kind of wonky and unthematic that you didn't have to deal with the bad guys.

Another buddy has this and we may start this in a couple weeks. He also wants to continue Galaxy Defenders next week and alternate between that and Imperial Assault. We'll see how that goes.
If you take away the round limit you have Descent 1st edition all over again. I personally like the round limits because it limits the game time to an hourish. Otherwise you're playing four hour missions. I don't know about you but that's much harder to fit in with my current situation in life. However in 16 years when all the kids are gone, I'm game!
I am only about 10 years away, although my 8 year-old already likes marathon games like Shadows of Brimstone and Robinson Crusoe. Luckily, I get to play the long games at work every day, so we might try removing the round limits and see what happens.
Old January 1st, 2015, 01:29 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:

15. Star Wars: Imperial Assault - 11 (Yes I've only had it less than 2 weeks and no I haven't been this excited about a game since Heroscape or maybe Descent. If you like Star Wars and Descent this is a MUST buy. I am looking forward to all this has to offer. I even played the Skirmish mode and enjoyed it as well)
A friend of mind from my group was at our event last night for a little while and said that he has played the first 3 missions of Imperial Assault and was disappointed, kind of like with Descent 2.0.

He said it seems like it's totally goal orientated and that you just run by the bad guys to try to complete your goal. So basically ignoring the dude with the heavy laser cannon to move past him and try to destroy something or other, meanwhile taking a hits from the laser cannon dude. The thing he said about this one mission is that you only have like 6 rounds to complete the mission and can't spare a turn to attack.

He said it was similar to Decent 2.0 for him in that you would just run by big bad monsters to get to your quest or whatever. Seemed kind of wonky and unthematic that you didn't have to deal with the bad guys.

Another buddy has this and we may start this in a couple weeks. He also wants to continue Galaxy Defenders next week and alternate between that and Imperial Assault. We'll see how that goes.
If you take away the round limit you have Descent 1st edition all over again. I personally like the round limits because it limits the game time to an hourish. Otherwise you're playing four hour missions. I don't know about you but that's much harder to fit in with my current situation in life. However in 16 years when all the kids are gone, I'm game!
I am only about 10 years away, although my 8 year-old already likes marathon games like Shadows of Brimstone and Robinson Crusoe. Luckily, I get to play the long games at work every day, so we might try removing the round limits and see what happens.
My oldest would probably be fine with marathon games as well. However the problem is what the two and three year old are doing during the marathon when daddy isn't "paying attention".

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old January 1st, 2015, 01:38 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Oh I'm not disagreeing, I was just repeating what one friend said. The round limit wasn't so much the thing, but the not fighting was more the issue for him.

I understand though that as a campaign, it doesn't need to be a hack and slash fest for every game. Not having the game or rules, I don't know if the missions change much to allow for more combat based ones or if they are all run away types where the rebels are always trying to avoid combat. Perhaps some people want to see some of the combat aspects be played out in the campaign. I don't know if it was not focused on much in the campaign because there is also the skirmish rules that allow for the combat to be the highlight.

Personally, despite what one friend says, I think I'll enjoy it. I never played Decent, so it will all be new to me.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 1st, 2015, 08:45 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Helm View Post
I have a question for anyone who has purchased King of New York. Is the promotional card, "Monster Idol" included inside the box as one of the 66 cards? Or is it truly an exclusive card that was given out at Gen Con and on some pre-orders?

I'm getting mixed signals from the limited info on the net. Some seem to suggest that it was given out as a preview card that is included inside while others label it as an exclusive promo card. I'm looking to eventually purchase King of New York and some folks on ebay are selling it with the Monster Idol card. I'm trying to determine if this is a scam and the card is sealed up in the box.

Thanks for any help with this.
I just looked through my recently-acquired box to verify; there is no Monster Idol card in the box as it comes.
Thanks for verifying that, Jim. Unfortunately for me I'm now going to hear about the "need" to find that card from my kids. I haven't ordered King of New York yet so maybe I can find it somewhere available with the promo card... I doubt it though. Maybe I should just break my kids out of the the completist mentality and let them know that it isn't going to happen.
Old January 1st, 2015, 08:58 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

We played Survive: Escape From Atlantis for the first time today. This is the 30th Anniversary Edition Amazon had on sale a few weeks ago. The components are first rate, with a large, sturdy, colorful board, with similarly large, sturdy bits. No punching, either!

This game does not play like something that's 30 years old. It was 10 years before Catan, for heaven's sake, in an era when the only two genres were "roll and move" and "abstract." And yet there's tile-laying, a form of score tracking, and direct player interaction. The tiles are even integrated with the cards! Such a clever game.

We had fun. KidScaper would have won but his last swimmer got stranded two spaces from shore, and the volcano blew early, ending the game before he could score the little #3.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old January 1st, 2015, 10:25 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Yeah DS, Survive seems like it was ahead of its time. Good game.

Tonight my daughters and I just got done with 5 games of Pairs. We played 4 with the base rules, but rather than having each game having one loser and the rest winners like the rules called for, we played all the games and added the scores from each game to find the one player with the lowest score to be the one winner. The 5th game was with the Venture variant of the game that came with the Professor Elemental deck. It was some quick fun.

Old January 1st, 2015, 10:36 PM

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Interesting. The bonus game with the Professor Elemental deck is for 2? I might have to break that out. I felt silly for getting 4 of the decks, but the art is so clever I have no regrets.

= =
Old January 1st, 2015, 11:00 PM

Oliver Upshaw knows what's in an order marker Oliver Upshaw knows what's in an order marker Oliver Upshaw knows what's in an order marker

Got in my 14th game of Ars Victor and another game of Eight Minute Empire: Legends over Christmas. Looking forward to the Expansion for EME:L that is due around March.

"Ms. Wolversham, you are authorized to return fire!"
David Weber The Short Victorious War
Old January 1st, 2015, 11:09 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Interesting. The bonus game with the Professor Elemental deck is for 2? I might have to break that out. I felt silly for getting 4 of the decks, but the art is so clever I have no regrets.
No DS, the bonus game for Professor Elemental is for 3-8. I played with my twin daughters.

I should have gotten a few different decks. Next time I order a game, maybe I'll add deck or two of Pairs to the order. Though I have been ordering a few things lately and need to hold off for a little bit. I just ordered Splendor on Monday as it was the deal of the day for $20 at MM. So I should get that tomorrow or Saturday.

Did you see the Companion PDF on BGG for Pairs that has all the bonus games in it?

Old January 1st, 2015, 11:14 PM

No, I sort of knew it existed. It makes a difference when it's printed on glossy paper inside the tuck box. I'm old fashioned that way.

= =
Old January 1st, 2015, 11:28 PM
Prickly Cactus

I agree. I'd rather have an official booklet with all the variants, but they aren't putting one out, so there we go

Old January 2nd, 2015, 02:55 AM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

Gloom and Android: Netrunner. Gloom is a card game with transparent cards in which you want to make your family as miserable as possible and then kill them off to lock in their negative self worth points. You can play cards on your opponents' cards, like making their family members happy and then killing them off to give them more points. Once someone has killed off all of their family members the points on all the (un)dead characters are counted and the player with the lowest amount of points wins. Point values will be placed on one to three of 3 spots of the modifying card, and when these are stacked they cover certain point values of the cards below it, and only visible point values are counted. Look it up, the mechanics are real cool and intuitive. The art is fantastic.

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games