Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:22 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Osama Bin Laden dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typhon2222 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee View Post
Quote:
To put it more bluntly: if we had minded our own business over the last few decades, nobody would have felt any need to fly an airplane into a skyscraper in Manhattan.
But what exactly is "our own business"? Over those last few decades we've been one of the, or even the only, major players on the world scene. What happens globally IS our business.
Sure, but we didn't somehow just happen to wake up and find ourselves a major player. We actively made ourselves a major player globally by projecting our own power, imposing our own will, and deciding that we somehow had the right to police the world which is to say, to impose our own policies on the world. Understandably, some resisted that.
Moral relativism is a luxury you can have in the cheap seats.

Objecting to American Imperialism is one thing. Expressing that objection in the form of a global terror network and murdering innocents around the world, including a great many in the 9/11 attacks, is evil.

Today is a good day, and I'm not just saying that because stopped by.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:26 AM
Good is Dumb

Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gulp is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manatee View Post
Quote:
To put it more bluntly: if we had minded our own business over the last few decades, nobody would have felt any need to fly an airplane into a skyscraper in Manhattan.
But what exactly is "our own business"? Over those last few decades we've been one of the, or even the only, major players on the world scene. What happens globally IS our business.
Sure, but we didn't somehow just happen to wake up and find ourselves a major player. We actively made ourselves a major player globally by projecting our own power, imposing our own will, and deciding that we somehow had the right to police the world which is to say, to impose our own policies on the world. Understandably, some resisted that.
I think this is one of those concepts that looks great on paper, but it just ends up not working out practically. The global economy is just way too complex to be solved by such a simple solution. There is, however, room to discuss how much we should be involved, but at this point the cat is out of the bag.

Check out Gulp's Glyphs Not Worth Grabbing and Gulp's Abilities Not Worth Activating! Very Useful Thread: The Heroscape Library

"Heroscapers.com is not a charity site for the illiterate." -Gbob
Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:39 AM
More Interesting Than He Actually Is

Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Margloth is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think the truth of the matter is that we "got" Osama a long time ago... effectively making him not much of a resource and almost a liability for al-Qaeda.

And yes, his death isn't really that important. al-Qaeda is designed to work on a cellular level, rather than following a figurehead. Ultimately, though, this + the amount of heat on al-Qaeda has probably weakened the group quite a lot... I'm more worried about splinter cells at this point.

That being said, the SOB got a better death than he deserved.

And yes, I know he got shot in the eye.

C3G Needs You! Interested in playtesting? Want to playtest?
Humbled to have been a C3G Hero!
Old May 2nd, 2011, 11:45 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Counting gray cells and coming up short... Also, I confess to being a fanboy.

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margloth View Post
And yes, his death isn't really that important.
I've seen this a number of times in other places today and I keep wondering whether it's politically motivated. You are talking about #1 on the Most Wanted list, a guy who the military and intelligence establishment of the United States of America has been hunting aggressively since before 9/11, and he was finally caught and killed, and it's *not* a big deal?

Assuming you are correct, that Bin Laden did not provide day to day leadership of Al Qaeda, he nevertheless provided two very, very important things: 1. Money, both from himself and from his own fundraising efforts, and 2. A standardbearer. He was the single symbol and figurehead of al Qaeda all around the world, and now he's gone.

C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
Designing Customs? Help With Wurdz
= =
Old May 2nd, 2011, 12:04 PM
displays Schultzian haplessness

gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness gorthan313 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Last I heard, he was in hiding, and now he's dead. Frankly, I couldn't be more pleased by this news!

Your curiosity will be the death of you....
Old May 2nd, 2011, 01:12 PM

LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby! LilMoochie rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Bin Laden did not provide day to day leadership of Al Qaeda, he nevertheless provided two very, very important things: 1. Money, both from himself and from his own fundraising efforts, and 2. A standardbearer. He was the single symbol and figurehead of al Qaeda all around the world, and now he's gone.
I think we all agree that it isn't over but we did get the flagbearer. How much of a loss to the organization was he? The next 24 months will likely determine whether he was Sir Gilbert or Hatamato Taro.

Last edited by LilMoochie : five minutes ago.
Reason: You think it's mindless drivel now? You should have seen it before.
LilMoochie's Maps, LilMoochie's trades
Old May 2nd, 2011, 01:28 PM
Name's Ash... Housewares

Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun Balantai is a penguin with a machine gun

Ding Dong! The Witch is dead. Which old Witch? The Wicked Witch! Ding Dong! The Wicked Witch is dead!
Old May 2nd, 2011, 01:51 PM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

Old May 2nd, 2011, 02:00 PM

Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby! Jandarforever rolls all skulls baby!

I'm totally pumped the sonofabitch is dead.
The fact that the US military was able to find and kill the man who orchestrated and pulled off the biggest attack on American soil since Pearl Harbor which lead to the death of thousands of innocent civilians, gives me no small amount of happiness.
If Al-Quaeda suffers from his death, then that's a major layer of icing on the cake.

It's not whether you win or lose. It's having the 4th Massachusetts Line that counts!
I see nothing, I hear nothing, and I know NOTHING!--Sgt. Shultz, Hogan's Heroes
My custom terrain
Old May 2nd, 2011, 02:06 PM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

Revenge? No, justice. Bin Laden was the mastermind behind terrorist attacks against innocents. No matter what you want to say about "minding our own business" or American "Imperialism", the man was a monster and deserved what he got. My only regret is that he didn't surrender meekly like Saddam. The images of an aging, likely unhealthy Bin Laden in chains would have to be somewhat demoralizing to his supporters.

All that said, this will not end our troubles with Al Qaeda. It may have taken out the figurehead, but all his cronies aren't going to take their toys and go home. The fight goes on.

Kudos and thanks to the military forces that carried out the operation. And thanks to Mr. Obama for ordering the strike. I am not a fan of our president, but I will give him the proper credit for this.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old May 2nd, 2011, 02:26 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Speaking of which, apparently he prevented an earlier planned strike which would have been a missle strike.

He was concerned two-fold - Pakistani civilian deaths and no way to confirm Osama's death (since a Tomahawk would have pretty much vaporized him). He not only wanted him dead but wanted us to be able to prove he was dead to end the matter once and for all (as opposed to - we "think" we got him and dealing with that uncertainty for 10 more years).

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old May 2nd, 2011, 02:36 PM

Vydar's Warlord is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I was doing the happy dance in my living room at midnight last night when they anounced it.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General