Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old January 16th, 2011, 10:57 AM

Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker Harlax knows what's in an order marker
Re: WotC ends miniature production

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossman View Post
"As a substitute, Slavicsek said that they would ‘explore more options’ for players and DMs to represent their characters and monsters, possibly with flat tokens instead of 3D models."

Oh, that sounds like fun!
It sounds like Cardboard Heros, which has been available from Steve Jackson Games for decades. And still is for that matter...

I've seen people proxy the D&D minis using stand up print outs of the gallery pictures from the WOTC website.

I wonder what this means for Axis and Allies minis?

Lord of the Rings TMG Events -Gen Con 13
The North American Championship tournament- Saturday at 4 PM. NMN1342543
Battles of Middle Earth - Saturday at 10 AM. NMN1344930

Last edited by Harlax; January 16th, 2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old January 16th, 2011, 11:38 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

I just saw some beautiful prepainted plastic Rackham minis in my FLGS while I was there to play yesterday. I think two mounted knights were $25.

Heroscape was a real outlier when it came to the nexus of price/quality/selection. The discontinuation of the D&D line as well is a disappointment, but not a shock. Just as with Heroscape, my only wish is that they would just continue to leak out some reprints (possibly at a new price point).
Old January 16th, 2011, 01:32 PM

Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Its all this darn Xbox Live. Miniatures aren't as popular anymore, so they don't make money.

WoTC cares only for the profit, not the game, so if it's not making the monies, its going in the trash.

Oof...I got nothing to sign with now
Old January 16th, 2011, 02:37 PM

Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness Chardar wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majora's Incarnation View Post
Its all this darn Xbox Live. Miniatures aren't as popular anymore, so they don't make money.

WoTC cares only for the profit, not the game, so if it's not making the monies, its going in the trash.
I'm pretty sure the same can be said for any manufacturer in the world.

Old January 16th, 2011, 03:02 PM

Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardar View Post
Quote:
Well, while true, what various companies consider an acceptable profit margin is often affected by their passion for the product.
Old January 16th, 2011, 03:05 PM

adbirk19 is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Quote:

I agree, if WOTC cant afford D&D miniatures than heroscape had to to go now I see WOTC is ether in big trouble financially or every one is right and they are just greedy. Since heroscape can't really be played with figures it makes since why they would drop it if they had to drop D&D later.

stingers>everything else
Old January 16th, 2011, 03:05 PM

Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby! Therrian rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shedim Kabal View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Well, while true, what various companies consider an acceptable profit margin is often affected by their passion for the product.
This is pretty much only true when you are talking about a private company, not a public company with stock, which Hasbro is. Profit margin and how much you can make the shareholders is all that matters at the end of the day when you are dealing with that dynamic.

My Customs
Winter Olympics = $6,000,000,000
Gold Medal Hockey Tickets = $2,000
Seeing an American Politician forced to wear a Canadian Jersey = Priceless
Old January 16th, 2011, 04:37 PM

Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therrian View Post
This is pretty much only true when you are talking about a private company, not a public company with stock, which Hasbro is. Profit margin and how much you can make the shareholders is all that matters at the end of the day when you are dealing with that dynamic.
Agreed - which is why I'm not hopeless that a small firm might pick up Heroscape.
Old January 16th, 2011, 06:17 PM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
I agree that today's teenager is (if possible) even more wrapped up in video gaming than my generation was (is). So......

If the game is really, really gone, isn't it time for a video game? Something available through XBox LiveArcade (using xna, of course) would be pretty straightforward (from a programming standpoint), and would make the game widely available without the overhead of producing and shipping discs.

I can understand why a HS video game would have been frowned upon while the game was still alive and kickin'; why would someone spend their $ on all the minis if they could have everything in their online collection? However, with the current situation being what it is, it seems as though the window is open for Hasbro/WotC/whoever to use the insanely-popular medium that is video gaming to resolidify a fan-base.

Just my .

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!
Old January 16th, 2011, 07:35 PM

Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate the dawg View Post
Quote:
I agree that today's teenager is (if possible) even more wrapped up in video gaming than my generation was (is). So......

If the game is really, really gone, isn't it time for a video game? Something available through XBox LiveArcade (using xna, of course) would be pretty straightforward (from a programming standpoint), and would make the game widely available without the overhead of producing and shipping discs.

I can understand why a HS video game would have been frowned upon while the game was still alive and kickin'; why would someone spend their $ on all the minis if they could have everything in their online collection? However, with the current situation being what it is, it seems as though the window is open for Hasbro/WotC/whoever to use the insanely-popular medium that is video gaming to resolidify a fan-base.

Just my .
This is something my thoughts have always come across. But I agree with you at the point where we should wait till Heroscape is really dead, more of a collectable than a game, and then introduce the video game.

By that time, the processing system on consoles are going to be INCREDIBLE.

(Maybe to the point where 3D games that lay out the board in front of you.)

Strategy games aren't a new field. (Vandal Hearts, Fire Emblem, Advance Wars)

Old January 16th, 2011, 09:12 PM
Monster Manual Memorizer

Robotech Master has disabled reputation

You know what tabletop gaming needs. The holoboard like in Star Wars.

Imagine a table that rendered 3D color images of figures that you can actually watch move and shoot when you direct them on the board's projected hexagonal terrain!

Worried about expansion set costs and distribution? No problem; they just make new units in the programming and you download the expansions from the internet.

Sure, we'll lose the tactile old school feeling and its 12 years off from being feasible, but if minis are no longer profitable, we may have to jump onto the future.
Old January 16th, 2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robotech Master View Post
You know what tabletop gaming needs. The holoboard like in Star Wars.

Imagine a table that rendered 3D color images of figures that you can actually watch move and shoot when you direct them on the board's projected hexagonal terrain!

Worried about expansion set costs and distribution? No problem; they just make new units in the programming and you download the expansions from the internet.

Sure, we'll lose the tactile old school feeling and its 12 years off from being feasible, but if minis are no longer profitable, we may have to jump onto the future.
I offer to place $12 on this idea.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape News