Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old October 18th, 2010, 07:49 PM

AceofShadows is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Heroscape Power Rankings (GenCon 2010 Response)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wriggz View Post
I nominated Cyprien Esenwein for a raise. He always places in the top 3 up here in Toronto, and there is some fairly stiff competition. He adds so much to a Stinger/10th or most other common armies.

Granted we run different scenarios, but most degrade into kill'em alls anyway. He is a very versatile figure and other than a bad match up against Soulborg armies (which are admittedly on the decline) he can be a real beast on most maps.

I definitely agree. Cyprien did great in my Stingers Nilfheim army. He is definitely versatile and is not completely useless against the soulborgs. He definitely shines the most in scenarios other than Kill'em All. In Save the Prisoner, I won in two rounds with him. And he survives long enough to be the general in Kill the General. He seems quite popular in Toronto, he was fielded in four different armies.

Ace
Old October 18th, 2010, 08:41 PM
p-o'd exaderater

LeviofDoom is surprisingly tart

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubobj View Post
I know there was someone running elementals at TTO since I loaned out my 1 of each, but it clearly wasnt the firestorm build. Of the new stuff I only saw 1 Goblin army and 1 Warforged army. I think most people went with units they knew well.
i played red wyrmlings. and i saw at least 3 other people using mixed wyrmlings as well.

My 2011 tourney record: 7-7
My 2010 tourney record: 7-9
Old October 18th, 2010, 10:02 PM

vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker

Panopticon won first at Hexes in Texas going 5-0 with 4 squads of stingers, 4 black wyrmlings, 2 red wyrmlings and Raelin. So I'de say the Wyrmlings had a good showing. I know for a fact the wyrmlings helped his army out more than just filler.

Dustin

Let freedom ring with the shotgun blast
Old October 19th, 2010, 01:56 AM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
I'm at least glad that no one is bringing up the Valiant restriction on the 4th, because I think it's a pretty crappy argument.
Can I be the first, then?

Quote:
Our last 2 NHSD's have been won by non-Valiant 4th, and last year both of the armies in the final were non-Valiant 4th.
I'll give you that Sarah (4thx4+Raelin+Hydra) and Brownsfan82 (4thx5+Taelord) were running non-valiant 4th. But Brad's army (4thx5+Nilfheim) is not really non-valiant 4th - it's valiant 4th after a kamikaze run by Nilfheim. Unless your opponent has Zelrig, the impact of Nilfheim's non-valiance is minimized (at least in terms of defense rolls - there's still a strategic cost since you are compelled to move Nilfheim out first). The same argument applies to the Clarissimus's and Pickle4192's army from GenCon (4thx4+Braxas). (Well, Pickle's army on day 2 was non-valiant all the way since he added Raelin.)

Quote:
Also, Raelin is just as good with the 4th as she is with the 10th if you have other non-Valiant units. She's bad with the 4th as they're only non-Valiant unless you have a really solid Valiant hero (like Charos) to protect.
Provided you have no plans of losing your other non-valiant figures, I agree with this. (Although Sarah made even this look wrong at General Wars, but Raelin also has strong synergy with the Sentinels.)

Quote:
I still think the 4th are better, but the 10th are close and they're more fun.
I agree the 4th are marginally better, but I really think you need to lean on the valiant defense bonus to come to that conclusion. Absent that, bayonets and melee defense are well worth 5 points. Sure, there will be point totals where those 5 points are a big issue, but there are also point totals where 4th builds end up playing light. It cuts both ways.
Old October 19th, 2010, 09:42 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

One figure I saw a whole lot of on NHSD (at both Ohio and in other armies on here) is the Iron Golem, and I don't think he did very well. Did anyone have a really good showing with him?

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old October 19th, 2010, 01:18 PM

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
One figure I saw a whole lot of on NHSD (at both Ohio and in other armies on here) is the Iron Golem, and I don't think he did very well. Did anyone have a really good showing with him?
Lefton4ya did well at your event with 10th, Raelin, and Iggy. Brownsfan also did well the weekend before pairing him with stingers and Cyprien/Sonya. I'm not sold on the golem's effectiveness either, though.

I know it's not perfectly relevant to this thread, but since we're so starved for examples, how did Pickle4192's Kurrok + FEx8 do in GenCon heat of battle?
Old October 19th, 2010, 01:23 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2007, 2009, & 2012

MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby! MattserTruckRally rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post

I know it's not perfectly relevant to this thread, but since we're so starved for examples, how did Pickle4192's Kurrok + FEx8 do in GenCon heat of battle?
I think he finished at 3-2. Without Raelin and/or Deathreavers I don't think that Kurrok & FE's is nearly as effective since the army is so small.

Grenade lobbyist
Old October 19th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Quote:
I used him with Murphy (for the shotgun trick, which I never got to use), Nakitas and Gorillinators x2 at the northeast event. That army went 1-2. However, if I was trying to deflect the blame from some poor moves that I made then I'd point at the gorillinators at least as much as the golem. I didn't see him in any other armies, but with the option to switch armies out I could easily have missed a few.
Old October 19th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

The shotgun trick? Engage a bunch of figs with IG, traget him with the shotgun special, he gets +2 defense, and everyone next to him dies? Interesting....hadn't thought of that...

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa in Urban Rivals, the coolest, online CCG of all time!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old October 19th, 2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
The shotgun trick? Engage a bunch of figs with IG, traget him with the shotgun special, he gets +2 defense, and everyone next to him dies? Interesting....hadn't thought of that...

Brandon
Yep. It works even better with Zelrig... in theory.
Old October 19th, 2010, 05:38 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Not following that one...

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa in Urban Rivals, the coolest, online CCG of all time!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old October 19th, 2010, 05:40 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
Not following that one...

Brandon
It's exactly the same at the Shotgun trick.

Engage a bunch of stuff with IG, target him with Majestic Fires, he gets 2 auto-shields and everything else dies.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion