Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old March 4th, 2010, 04:28 PM
BoV Judge Emeritus Revisitus

Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby! Riggler rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Mogrimm Forgehammer Pre-Release Discussion

I give up. Math hard. I still don't think all the factors have been considered. But will concede that I was somewhat wrong in my boastful declaration that 3 dice is better than Tough. After attempting to do some statistics myself, I've concluded that in my mind rolling 3 dice is better at some point than Tough, although attack dice must reach a certain amount for that to be the case.

Old March 4th, 2010, 04:54 PM
3-Time Online HS Champion & Diplomacy Winner of Land Wars in Asia

Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death! Kinseth is hot lava death!

Id rather have 3 Dice than Tough anyday. Think about it in the opposite way.

Would you rather have an hero that always has 3 skulls when he attacks or 6 attack dice? Id always want the 6 attack dice because of the chance of massive hits. That chance for 5-6 on attack dice is nice.

Have you tried Hexscape? 3D Heroscape Multiplayer Battle program!

Looking for a C3V/SOV miniature? Try one of these sites.
Old March 4th, 2010, 04:56 PM

Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker Frylock knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinseth View Post

Would you rather have an hero that always has 3 skulls when he attacks or 6 attack dice? Id always want the 6 attack dice because of the chance of massive hits. That chance for 5-6 on attack dice is nice.
Really? I'd take the three skulls. For me, consistency beats the occasional attack of 5-6, and negates the worry about whiffing.
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:00 PM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:

Not quite the same analogy. If you roll alot of shields, the amount of damage taken will be the same: 0 (unless if the enemy rolls a LOT of skulls.) On the other hand, more skulls will cause additional damage.

-scorp

scorpiusx is Khosumet the Darklord...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:00 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I dunno, Kinseth. Attacking a figure with 1 life and three defense dice I think I'll take three skulls over rolling six dice pretty much every time.

~Aldin, variance reducingly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:08 PM

padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby! padlock rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:

3 automatic hits are better against low defense figures whereas 6 attack dice are better against high defense figures.

Think of it this way. If you're fighting a squad figure with 2 or less defense, 3 auto skulls will always kill it whereas 6 dice won't. Alternatively, against a Raelin backed Minion, 6 attack dice have a better chance of landing a hit then 3 auto skulls.

You could also consider 3 attack dice with deadly attack/shot which would have an even higher variance and do even worse against low defense and even better against high defense.
Old March 4th, 2010, 05:08 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Id rather have 3 Dice than Tough anyday.
The only situation where this is correct is if:
  1. You only have one life left, and
  2. You're facing an attack of 5 or greater
In that situation, 5 defense is better than 2+tough. This can be verified as the breakpoint by comparing the wound chance table to the G-Nator wound chance table.

Aside from that, tough is always (slightly) better than three additional defense dice. Consult the post I made two posts before yours for details.

Quote:
Think about it in the opposite way.

Roughly the mirror image situation applies here. 3 autoskulls is better than 6 attack dice, except against very high defense figures with lots of life.
Old March 5th, 2010, 01:15 AM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Oh dear. I seem to have sparked off something that started a massive string of math guys crunching numbers and not really coming up with a definitive answer. We need something less challenging!!!

So is that a club, a microphone, or a maraca in his hand?

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old March 5th, 2010, 01:33 AM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
The only situation where this is correct is if:
  1. You only have one life left, and
  2. You're facing an attack of 5 or greater
In that situation, 5 defense is better than 2+tough. This can be verified as the breakpoint by comparing the wound chance table to the G-Nator wound chance table.

Aside from that, tough is always (slightly) better than three additional defense dice. Consult the post I made two posts before yours for details.
In reality, Tough is probably closer to being worth 2 shields overall since defense dice get rolled against both normal and special attacks whereas the Tough is worth 0 Shields vs specials.

Perhaps the best examples are the Nators, they would be much more playable with 2/4 for stats that 2/1 + tough. Granted they still would be below average but at least then they would be less of a gamble.
Old March 5th, 2010, 01:49 AM

GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby! GreenLanturn rolls all skulls baby!

I just played 2 games of KoW vs Dwarves, and I have a few things I enjoyed and a few things that presented themselves as problems.

Axegrinders x3
Darrak
Mogrimm
Migol
500/15
vs.
KoW x3
Sir Gilbert
Nilfheim
500/15

I liked Mogrimm, he played well, but his Commander's Strike didn't do a whole ton; between activating the other heroes and missing rolls he only got 3 Knights in the first game and 1 wound on Nilfheim in the second with CS. His attack did fair, but that's expected. My real problem was that he died fast after he got pinned, I quickly learned that tough is not equal to 3 dice; especially when my brother can roll 2 skulls every time on 3 dice.

Migol and Darrak have proven their worth in the past, but I wonder if Mogrimm should replace Migol. The 10 point difference just means I can exclude Isamu even more. I just had a problem with to many heroes... I think this point was made with the KoW in the past.

In forest dark or glade beferned
No blade of grass shall go unturned
Let those who have the daylight spurned
Tread not where this green lamp has burned.
Old March 5th, 2010, 02:23 AM
has been BANNED

Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker Devil's Advocate knows what's in an order marker

Yeah for anything close to 500 points, I think the you most you want is 2 dwarf heroes, which pretty much leaves Migol vs Mogrimm. I think your army should run either 4x Dwarves or 5x Dvarves since 3 squads is only leaving you with the ability to take 9 casualties to the axegrinders before your attacks per turn start decreasing
Old March 5th, 2010, 12:31 PM

Acinonyx has disabled reputation

Perhaps I'm reading this wrong, but isn't this guy going to get owned by the special poison attack of the drow in the same pack? 2D vs 3A with the poison damage risk on top? Yikes! It seems like a lot of special attackers will really punish him. As dangerous as he would be to DW8k, he could also get mowed down with one order marker by the same.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units