Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions
Other Customization & HS Additions Everything from new ways to play to modded figures

Notices

Old December 23rd, 2018, 10:11 PM

Skyver knows what's in an order marker Skyver knows what's in an order marker
Lightbulb HERO BATTLE *Update*

*Update* Look below for example Upgrade cards.

So I had an idea for a game variant, and I'm not sure if it has been proposed before or not, but the basic idea is this:

Hero Battle:
(This variant works easily for 2-5 or potentially more players).

Rules:
During the Draft, each player selects one Unique Hero to represent them in the battle. Yes, just one.

That's it!

Obviously, this creates some imbalances regarding point costs. However, I've come up with what I think is a fun and effective solution: Upgrades.

"Upgrades" would come in the form of cards with single abilities on them. They could be items granting either general abilities (such as Flying, Counterstrike, etc.) or weapons with Special Attacks.

Each upgrade would have an appropriate point cost, and the upgrades would be drafted after heroes are chosen.

Abilities that scale in effectiveness according to base stats (such as Double Attack/Rapid Fire) could have variable point costs, or a multiplier (15 pt x Unit's Attack stat, for example)

I am still trying to decide if players can purchase higher base stats, such as higher movement, attack, defense. Life & Defense seem like an obvious choice for upgrade cards (body armor?). A Life "maximum" might be necessary.

The upgrades could be added to a player card for organization. I've included a mock-up of what one could look like:

I whipped it up in paint in a few minutes just to illustrate my suggestion. Of course, the final design would look much prettier. And I am open to suggestions on how the layout can be improved or if other fields should be added.

Here is an example of a card with an Upgrade:

Players would agree on a point total and draft upgrades till they meet that total. Or have an upgrade maximum (for example, 4).

The map would encourage arena-style combat. Perhaps additional item upgrades could even be scattered around the map...

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Skyver; October 10th, 2019 at 07:09 PM.
Old December 24th, 2018, 04:06 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: HERO BATTLE (Heroscape Arena?)

Looks just like my attachment cards I made for some assassin creed cards. The biggest thing you can run into with these for any hero would be balancing them. A jetpack may have quite a bit more use to Q9 than it would to Sir Gilbert, etc.
Here's a link to what I have came up with in my thread.
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=50614

Its for sure a fun idea. Welcome to the site. Just out of curiosity, are you the same guy that got in touch with @Sir Heroscape to see if I would make a template. If so, I do plan on getting to it eventually.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old December 24th, 2018, 08:11 PM

Re: HERO BATTLE (Heroscape Arena?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREX View Post
Looks just like my attachment cards I made for some assassin creed cards. The biggest thing you can run into with these for any hero would be balancing them. A jetpack may have quite a bit more use to Q9 than it would to Sir Gilbert, etc.
Here's a link to what I have came up with in my thread.
https://www.heroscapers.com/communit...ad.php?t=50614

Its for sure a fun idea. Welcome to the site. Just out of curiosity, are you the same guy that got in touch with @Sir Heroscape to see if I would make a template. If so, I do plan on getting to it eventually.
Yes, that's very close to what I have in mind! Great job.

I take your point about the balancing issue, which is why I visualize the point costs being based on the maximum possible benefit. The results is that each upgrade would feel somewhat overcosted compared to their benefit, but would lead to better fairness overall.

And no, that wasn't me. I was actually active here once upon a time many years ago, but I recently got back into scape and it seemed better to start fresh with a new account.
Old October 10th, 2019, 03:08 PM

Re: HERO BATTLE *Update*

Because some have expressed interest, I'm going to go ahead and share what I've been able to come up with so far:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rl4...ew?usp=sharing

These Upgrades are MTG-sized cards. I didn't create a template for the Player board as originally envisioned, but the cards by themselves are usable regardless.

Keep in mind that these are all preliminary designs, and not intended to be final. Point costs were based on my best guesses at the time, and haven't been playtested for balance.

That being said, I hope they help show what I'm going for with this Variant. If you do end up using any of these, let me know how it goes!
Old October 24th, 2019, 01:20 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: HERO BATTLE *Update*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyver View Post
Because some have expressed interest, I'm going to go ahead and share what I've been able to come up with so far:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Rl4...ew?usp=sharing

These Upgrades are MTG-sized cards. I didn't create a template for the Player board as originally envisioned, but the cards by themselves are usable regardless.

Keep in mind that these are all preliminary designs, and not intended to be final. Point costs were based on my best guesses at the time, and haven't been playtested for balance.

That being said, I hope they help show what I'm going for with this Variant. If you do end up using any of these, let me know how it goes!
I've ran with ideas such as these, as I really like to add different elements from different games that I play that would just be a fun time. I think the problem with these in a Heroscape format for already released characters is some of them would just be too crazy for the amount of points you would add with some of the upgrades. Great job on the card images though by the way, those are spot on cool. I think what would really be fun with this idea is a custom project. Where you could use "X" amount of upgrades on the characters made for the format. I got the idea from playing a miniatures wargame called Star Wars Legion. On each of the individual squads, or heroes, they have different upgrade slots in which you can add upgrades to that character(s) for a point cost. With the current heroes in heroscape I'm just not sure how on earth it can be balanced. I've put my Assassin's creed project, and ratchet and clank project on hold for this very reason. I was going to do the same thing you have here with all their abilities and equipment. I'm just not sure how I want to go about it. Anyway, great job.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions