Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles
Heroscape Strategy Articles Heroscape Strategy Articles with discussions. Including Order Markers, Units, Game Play, etc.

Old March 6th, 2008, 01:16 PM
has been BANNED

jcb231 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Sonya without Cyprien?

The other day I played against a guy that drafted Sonya without Cyprien. He didn't use her well and she was basically a non-entity in the fight, but it led me to wonder if others have done this. I find it hard to picture a context in which she would be useful without her hubby. I would think Iskra would be the better purchase (one extra life for five points more), or Me-Burq-Sa, or others.

Has anyone used Sonya effectively on her own? Is there any reason to?

In a draft game, I could see picking her if my opponent picks Cyprien, to keep him from gaining that advantage, but even that would be questionable I think.
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:49 PM

guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker guido knows what's in an order marker
There are already a few threads for this. Check the book of Sonya Esenwein and you will see that your question has already been answered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ej
Did you lose your saving throw vs. Fabulous?
B.U.D.
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:52 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I wouldn't draft Sonya alone. I also wouldn't draft Cyprien alone. As far as I'm concerned Cyprien is a 195 pt character.

Spare 45 or 50 points could be better spent on something else IMO.
Old March 6th, 2008, 01:54 PM
has been BANNED

The books, and other threads, barely touch on drafting her alone.
Old March 6th, 2008, 06:07 PM

Elginb has disabled reputation
If I had 50 points to burn, I'm sure I'd pick Iskra over Sonya every time. If I only had 45 points to burn, I'd really be comparing her to Theracus at 40 pts.

Both Theracus and Sonya are fast flyers with the same range, attack and defense. Theracus has one more move, but is also a double-spaced figure, so that evens out their speed a bit. Both are effective at engaging ranged units who have height.

Sonya's Life Drain gives her a bit more staying power than Theracus, so she's probably a better option on her own. But Theracus' Carry makes him synergistic with a wider variety of figures. Because of that, I'd probably lean toward Theracus more often.

Still, Sonya is one of the few cheap flyers, and if you're primary need at that point in the draft is an anti-range unit, she's probably not a bad choice. At least she won't stab you in the back like Marcu...
Old March 7th, 2008, 12:52 AM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elginb
If I had 50 points to burn, I'm sure I'd pick Iskra over Sonya every time. If I only had 45 points to burn, I'd really be comparing her to Theracus at 40 pts.

Both Theracus and Sonya are fast flyers with the same range, attack and defense. Theracus has one more move, but is also a double-spaced figure, so that evens out their speed a bit. Both are effective at engaging ranged units who have height.

Sonya's Life Drain gives her a bit more staying power than Theracus, so she's probably a better option on her own. But Theracus' Carry makes him synergistic with a wider variety of figures. Because of that, I'd probably lean toward Theracus more often.

Still, Sonya is one of the few cheap flyers, and if you're primary need at that point in the draft is an anti-range unit, she's probably not a bad choice. At least she won't stab you in the back like Marcu...
True...I guess you'd really only be considering her if all you had was 45 points, since Iskra is the obvious better choice for 50. I like your comparison to Theracus.
Old March 7th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Like gamjuven, I really just see her as a ball and chain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old March 7th, 2008, 01:37 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb231
Quote:

True...I guess you'd really only be considering her if all you had was 45 points, since Iskra is the obvious better choice for 50. I like your comparison to Theracus.
Of course for 45 points you could also get Eldgrim and Isamu as a combo, or a few other combos as well, like Marcu and Kyntella Gwyn (which might be nice if you have an elf heavy army). Or you could get one set of rats, which even without others to go along with it might be worth more than Sonya.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old March 7th, 2008, 11:27 AM

Elginb has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb231
Quote:

Of course for 45 points you could also get Eldgrim and Isamu as a combo, or a few other combos as well, like Marcu and Kyntella Gwyn (which might be nice if you have an elf heavy army). Or you could get one set of rats, which even without others to go along with it might be worth more than Sonya.
At 45 or under, I think Sonya would only be worth it if the circumstances were just right. Basically, the map would have to have significant height and your opponent would have to have some low-defense ranged units (like Harquebus or Aubrien Archers). It would have to be the kind of map on which Eldgrim, Isamu and 1 unit of Deathreavers wouldn't likely be able to engage the ranged units before getting shot down. Then it would come down to Theracus, Sonya or Marcu. If the high terrain were bumpy, I might rule out Theracus.

So then it becomes Sonya vs. Marcu + Isamu, Kyntela, Swog Rider or Dumutef Guard. I guess it depends on the composition of the rest of your army, but if all we consider is that your opponent is liable to have range with height, then Kyntela, Swog Rider and Dumutef are genuine filler (I imagine rolling Marcu's Eternal Hatred, then seeing him swoop down and kill them, anyway). So, under these very specific circumstances, I think it becomes a question of whether or not Sonya's lack of Eternal Hatred is really worth 25 more points. I'm not a big fan of Eternal Hatred, so in these very specific circumstances, I'd probably pick Sonya.
Old March 7th, 2008, 05:18 PM

jedi_imperium has disabled reputation
I can't really think of a situation where she'll be useful on her own. If I want vampires, I'll get them both. If not, no.

Continue your futile attempts at resistence, for you are only prolonging the inevitable. in the end the Esenweins will have you begging for destuction.
Old March 8th, 2008, 05:39 PM

Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness Soul Shackle wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I agree, Cyp is a 195 point character. Only if you had exactly 45 points left and map conditions were right would this be considered. I have seen it done once, and it actually worked out ok for her.
Old March 9th, 2008, 12:32 AM
has been BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soul Shackle
I agree, Cyp is a 195 point character. Only if you had exactly 45 points left and map conditions were right would this be considered. I have seen it done once, and it actually worked out ok for her.
Consensus seems to be that Cyprien is a 195 pointer. I frequently draft him as such, but I also use him on his own a lot...am I in the minority there?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Heroscape Strategy Articles