Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures
Other Miniatures Miniatures games besides Heroscape.

Notices

Old June 11th, 2017, 10:44 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: Frostgrave, Halo Ground Command and other tabletop minis

Quote:
Originally Posted by keglo View Post
Yeah I am looking forward to your thoughts on Walking Dead too. I had never even heard of the game before @Hahma mentioned it, so it was never even on my radar. The starter box is fairly inexpensive compared to some other game out there.

I wonder how much fund you could have with just the starter box and some terrain.
Here's a nice review of the core game that I found, if it helps.

"Let's face it; producing a top-shelf Walking Dead game is hard. You have tons of fans split across two mediums, a genre that's as maligned as it is popular, and a spirit that is often misunderstood and difficult to grasp. The previous table top games centered on this IP have all struggled to capture that spirit and really nail the essence of the theme. Mantic games have picked up the ball and are running towards the hoop like Shaq stomping on the lollipop guild.

This starter set is relatively robust for the price. It comes with some excellent pre-assembled minis that look beautiful. The paper map that delineates the 20" square surface is quite functional, and the 2D scenery is solid. It gives off a very X-Wing vibe with identical packaging and a similar single standard scenario that has some solid replayability and utility.

In addition to a dozen walkers we have living and breathing versions of Rick and Carl Grimes, as well as four generic survivors who have names and backstories that you likely won't care about. The goal here is to build a group of a specific point value and outfit them with starting gear like pistols and baseball bats. Some equipment is unique and only wearable by a specific person, like Carl's Sheriff hat. There are some synergies and nice combinations of characters and items that add a touch of oomph to selection, but it's nowhere near as bogged down or heavy as X-Wing in its current state.

Each group squares off in a two player affair where you attempt to recover equipment tokens from around the small map. You will need to get a set number before the other group, or eliminate all of your enemies. This world view of direct conflict and high stakes is right out of Kirkman's dark mind. The fact that this isn't a cooperative game but one of bleak outlook and constant peril is spot on. It sets the tone for what's to come.

What really solidifies this game as an exceptional release is nailing that Walking Dead soul. It provides mechanical support to push the tension of play and paint an atmosphere that mimics your emotional state while reading the comics. This evocative approach propels a relatively straightforward miniatures game into something to truly behold.

The threat track is the fire-starter for the magic. This dial ramps up throughout play from events and characters entering combat. Its steady march towards conclusion feels inevitable and it captures that dour pressure splendidly. The higher levels jacks up the atmosphere by causing increasingly worse events to appear as everything begins to spiral out of control.

When All Out War gums up your plans and establishes an atmosphere that is autonomous, that's when it's at its best. Reminiscent of the underrated miniatures game All Things Zombie, characters may panic and react in unpredictable ways. When fights break out the unexpected will happen more often than not. You can be bitten and infected, slowly turning towards the cold dark reality of your end.

These events will spur reaction as you try to wrestle control back from the environment, fighting off the walkers that function as dynamic terrain. You'll have games where Rick takes a hatchet to Carl's arm, literally trying to remove a limb to stop the infection. Sometimes Carl won't make it and you'll have to put his zombie carcass down, other times he’ll pull through but will have one less equipment slot to work with as he’s crippled. Carl may have it rough but the audience will eat it up.

The Walking Dead: All Out War succeeds because it provides the necessary tools and framework for players to produce their own distinctly Walking Dead narratives. Much like Star Wars: Rebellion, you will operate within some restrictions, laws which enforce the source material and atmosphere, but the individual slices of narrative and outcomes are your own story.

At its height this game is so fantastic that it easily allows you to overlook the flaws of a single scenario and limited selection of characters. You'll want expansions as soon as you take to the battlefield and your wallet will be crying; more importantly though, you'll be smiling."

Here's a play through video from Beasts of War

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old June 11th, 2017, 10:45 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

The other cool thing about all the modern zombicide boxes I have to use for all out war is if I can print the character cards I can use all my zombicide survivors as proxies for them.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old June 11th, 2017, 10:49 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

True enough.

Old June 11th, 2017, 10:56 PM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Thank you @Hahma for that explanation and review. That game actually looks really fun. It does sound like the starter set does have limited replayablity. And after looking at the price of small expansions on Amazon , I may have been wrong about it being inexpensive.

I finally completed my colums and a few other terrain pieces. All of the tiles in the following pictures are just practice pieces. Mostly just me trying to get a feel for working with foam, trying out different textures and stuff. When I make the actual mat, it will be on thicker insulation foam. I am also still trying to decide on what texture to go with but I'm leaning towards just the plain old 1 inch dungeon grid like the one in the top picture, middle tile.

The only pieces from the pictures that I'll actually be using are the columns and barrels.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old June 11th, 2017, 11:30 PM
Prickly Cactus

Wow @keglo , those are awesome! Thanks for sharing those pictures

Oh, and I can't take credit for that review/explanation, that was a review I found on Miniature Market. I have actually talked to the guy that wrote it, on Boardgamegeek.com. He likes some similar games as I do and we've had some discussions. Good guy.

Old June 12th, 2017, 01:20 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

@keglo , well done sir. I think you undersell your skill set a bit. Those look great. I also liked going with the 1 inch tile. I went with a 1.25 inch tile to accommodate heroscape figure bases if I feel a need to play some grid type game with Heroscape figures. It is by far the easiest to pull off and least time consuming but still looks great. I am in the process of laminating all of my frostgrave spell cards. I just finished laminating some booster cards for an Imperial Assault box and a zombicide booster along with all the cards I got with my Walking dead all out war base set. I'm a compulsive laminator. I also printed out a ton of cards for a bunch of X wing and Imperial Assault proxies I have figures for that needed cards to play as extra units in the skirmish game. I'm going to apply the same rules to Imperial Assault Skirmish as I did for Gridless Heroscape. Gridless Imperial Assault should be epic. I'll probably have to add a height bonus and a tweaked version of line of sight. Otherwise pretty simple.

Old June 12th, 2017, 06:40 AM

keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby! keglo rolls all skulls baby!

Thanks @Hahma and @TREX !

Yeah TREX, that is exactly the way I was thinking about the one inch grid tiles. They are so much easier to make, still look decent, and can potentially eliminate some measuring.

Great trades with Onacara, Gypsy, SirGalahad, elltrain, generalgina, Concord, Just_a_Bill, LongHeroscaper, janus19390, and the very generous obfuscatedhippo.
Old June 12th, 2017, 09:57 AM
Prickly Cactus

Yesterday I went to a game store to get a chance to learn a game called Dark Age by CMON games. We played on a generic battlefield table at the store and no fancy terrain pieces, as it was mostly intended to be a demo game.

I played as the Dragyri Ice Caste in blue, and Seth played as the Forsaken, led by St. Isaac. We played with the contents of the 2 player Path To Glory starter set, so the terrain was represented by the cardboard tokens on the battlefield.

We played just a basic kill them all type game, though the rulebook that is sold separately and downloadable at CMON's site has some scenarios. There are also a deck of secondary objective cards to add more replayability, sold separately.

The game is played on a 4x4 play area and the starting zone is within 6 inches of your board edge. We did thay and away we went.

In Dark Age, you want to roll low on the d20 for everything, including initiative each round, because then you get to choose which model gets to activate, even an opponent's, though they still control it. But the attack number of the attacker is added to the defense number of the defender, and then you have to roll under that to hit. So in this game, you want a low defense number. Then if there is a hit, you subtract the attacker power value from the defender's armor, and the defender has to roll under that to avoid damage. So you want a high armor value.

Some units have certain types of weapons that have a chance of malfunctioning if you roll higher than the threshold listed for that weapon, such as 18+ etc. Then that model is subject to possible damage from that malfunction, and if it's a ranged attack, then it may affect friendlies.

While I only had 4 models, 2 were the same type and each of the other 2 were different, the different types felt unique and had a nice loadout of abilities that could take affect depending on the situation. The ability names are listed on the front of the card, with the explanation of each one on the back of the card.

It's an action allowance system, where each unit/model type will have a certain amount of actions, like 3 or 4. Each time you move or attack it's an action, and if you have a model that uses a magic ability type thing, then it's an action. You also can get a free attack if you move into base to base contact with an enemy model.

Also, there are some units that you can activate together if they are linked and within 4 inches of the controlling one. So you can choose to move each independently with their own activations, or activate 2 or 3 of them in one big activation. Pretty neat.

I was rolling really crappy for the first half of the game, it was laughable actually. But then it ended up balancing out and Seth had some bad rolls. Once I got into melee with my units, it seemed like I had the advantage. I ended up winning, but it was close.

It's a pretty simple game in a sense, but there seems to be a decent amount of decisions. I would guess that playing scenarios and adding the secondary objective cards would add a good bit more. Seems like there are plenty of factions available now or coming soon. It doesn't seem from what I understand that there is an elevation element to the game, though I could be mistaken. I don't know if it's mostly flat ground and obstacles, or if there are rules for climbing or height advantage/disadvantage.

Pretty fun game.

Old June 12th, 2017, 10:14 AM
"like" happy

That looks pretty neat @Hahma . I still have to get in some frostgrave and now some Walking dead all out war. I also am chomping at the bit to play Imperial Assault Skirmish with some minor tweaks to line of sight and a possible height bonus.(as Imperial Assault is played on a flat board usually) I'm thinking of making the line of sight similar to heroscape, and adding a plus 1 hit or block to the higher figure. All I have to do now is pump out some terrain for both fantasy and sci fi settings for either/or games. Maybe I'll use some of my ruins for frostgrave for the walking dead all out war game. I'm super stoked to use the zombicide black plague survivors as frostgrave warband members and use the zombies in that one for zombie minis in frostgrave as well. The modern zombicide boxes should provide extra thematic zombies minis and all the survivors should do well for all out war. Super excited for all these games that are gridless and new to me.

Old June 12th, 2017, 10:27 AM
Prickly Cactus

Seems like you've got the crazy bug @TREX , like me, and my buddy Chris. So many things going on and having a lot of work to get the way we want them. Painted minis, terrain, tables etc. look all nice and people enjoy when you teach them the game and let them play. But there is a lot of work that goes on to make all that happen. But I can attest that it is nice when you have a good bit done and then can relax and have fun with the fruits of your labor, with people you enjoy hanging out with. And it's nice when they or others, if at a public place, take a minute to compliment you. Proud moments for sure.

Old June 12th, 2017, 10:42 AM
Prickly Cactus

The store I went to (which is about 40 minutes away) to learn Dark Age yesterday, is closing. They had what was left of their stuff at 50% off, so I picked up a few things.

I got this stuff for $21. Pin drill that I will likely need as I get more into the hobby, a couple jars of P3 paints, some Army Painter anti-shine, some Games Workshop snow for basing or terrain and a Knight Models kit for a pair of dumpsters. Lots of little piecesin that kit, but I have some of it started before leaving for work this morning. While I don't need them at them moment, they will be nice to put out for Chris's Walking Dead All Out War when he gets it, as well as This is not a Test, which is a post apocalyptic game.

Old June 12th, 2017, 10:43 AM
Prickly Cactus

Oops double posted

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Miniatures