Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs
C3V and SoV Customs A place for C3V and SoV customs

Old August 16th, 2012, 02:38 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

I'd like to nominate my own custom, Polyphemus. The miniature used is the Cyclops Hewer from D&D Demonweb, which was repainted for the official heroscape figure Torin. Unfortunately, there are only 25 on abprices and 10 on ebay. Fortunately, the only difference is skin color, which would be an easy enough repaint (like Tyrian). The heroscape pack that Torin is in is one of the most available, and Auggies alone has 44 of Torin for under $2.00. I originally made a card for Polyphemus with the heroscape colors, it is here as an alternate card.

The name is from Greek Mythology. Polyphemus was the cyclopes that kidnapped Odysseus as he and his men sailed home from the Trojan War. Polyphemus ate several of Odysseus' soldiers and laughed while doing so. Odysseus outsmarted Polyphemus and blinded him, enabling Odysseus to escape.

The obvious name comparison is Sudema, an anigram of Medusa. However, actual historical/mythological names have been used before. Nidhog (C3V) is a Norse Myth dragon-like creature, and Jotun is the Norse name for a giant. Spartacus is the only historical figure that actually existed in real life. I would not be opposed to changing Polyphemus' name, but I would prefer to keep it as is.

Next, the stats and powers. Polyphemus starts off terrifyingly strong. 6/6 stats are brutal against anything. Once he gets wounded though, he falls quickly. Blinded reduces his defense for each wound, making him strong against squads at first, but once a high-attack hero slaps a few wounds on him, Polyphemus dies quickly to ranged squads. However, Polyphemus can kill a figure to heal a wound and raise his defense by 1! This back-and-forth gameplay is fun. His third power is a negative one, giving all figures Counter Strike against him. This doesn't come in to play much with an attack of 6, but an unlucky attack roll can spell doom for Polyphemus. That keeps his cost down and works well with Tasty Snacks.

I think he is well balanced, but a little overpriced. He is only a melee figure with one attack and no bonding or synergies, so he won't do great against range (what single attack melee hero does?). Against melee though, Polyphemus is a huge threat that is a cheaper option that Sgt. Drake 2 to get a 6 attack hero that has pretty good survivability. Thanks for looking at him!
Old August 16th, 2012, 02:48 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Jarek Guy by fishguy1 has received 4 NO votes to review (Killometer, qt.bangerang, Scytale, ZBeeblebrox) and is removed from the process.

Horned Skull Champion by qt.bangerang has received 5 YES votes to review (1Mmirg, Killometer, Scytale, Super Bogue, ZBeeblebrox) and moves on in the process.

Clyemne by DeathDoom has received 2 NO votes to induct (qt.bangerang, Scytale) and is removed from the process.

Vargach by Kaemon Awa 123 has received 2 NO votes to induct (qt.bangerang, Scytale) and is removed from the process.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old August 16th, 2012, 06:18 PM
the above

William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness William099 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

What would your guy's opinion of a repainted Mimring figure as an SOV nomination be as far as availability is concerned? I would describe the paint job as moderate difficulty.. I'll have a pic up later.

Customs here
Master Set IV/Assault in the Mournlands.
William099 is Lord of Blades...
in THE FRACTAL COMPLEX
Old August 16th, 2012, 09:34 PM
The Spartans of HS Tourneys

ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth ZBeeblebrox is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by William099 View Post
What would your guy's opinion of a repainted Mimring figure as an SOV nomination be as far as availability is concerned? I would describe the paint job as moderate difficulty.. I'll have a pic up later.
I have no problem with that, since a lot of people probably have an extra Mimring lying around...but I cannot speak for the rest of the judges.

Also I do not see a problem with using the D&D Hewer, even though its was used by Torin...just like Rorshack it can be considered a re-paint.

Also I think the design is very interesting, like a reverse Krug...so I'll vote YES to review Polyphemus

C3V Current Broadcast 4/29/2015
C3V Testimonial from " Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen"
MY MINIATURE COLLECTION -- NEW VALHALLA
Old August 17th, 2012, 01:55 AM

Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Super Bogue is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I would have rather see one of the other Cyclops figures used for Polyphemus, but this one probably has the best availability. He looks like he might be over priced, but that's why we test. I vote for review.
Old August 17th, 2012, 02:25 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Interesting, the first unit (I think) with *two* powers he'd rather do without.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Bogue View Post
He looks like he might be over priced, but that's why we test.
I'll take Eltahale at ten points less, thank you very much.

(And yes, Eltahale is the answer to most questions, as those who have been reading my posts for a long time already know.)

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 20th, 2012, 01:27 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

I do like how Polyphemus is built around the Greek legend. The powers are very fitting for that. But I just can't get past repainting a unique hero into another unique hero. Repaints are a part of classic 'Scape, but the original designers did a nice job of making the repaints stand out from the originals (in part due to repainting commons into uniques). Having both Torin and Polyphemus in Fanscape would not sit right with me, especially since they are such radically different designs. Clones with no relation.

I vote to review Polyphemus
Old August 20th, 2012, 06:16 PM
has been BANNED

qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I am not against repaints...as they are apart of classic scape I just feel that they also need to be more distinguishable then simply a lighter/darker skin tone.

With that being said I like the idea of Polyphemus and building a custom around/specific to a legend. I don't like the mini choice for reasons I stated above. I also don't know how I feel about having 2 negative powers...this does help bring his points down, but would it make him just a dust collector.

In his current form I vote NO to review Polyphemus.
Old August 20th, 2012, 08:44 PM

TheExplodingCheez knows what's in an order marker TheExplodingCheez knows what's in an order marker

here's my submission, Gargoyles of Mitonsoul! Please give feedback! And if this ever got anywhere, it would need some edits to the picture by someone a little better at photoshop than me :P

(click for full size)

feedback? You don't think they're too overpowered, do you?

My Satirical Strategy Review (dedz to Bothi, stay tuned for more!)

~TheCheez
Old August 20th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

Thanks for looking over him, and for the advice. I'll be on the lookout for any new cyclops minis, and continue testing him.
Old August 21st, 2012, 10:39 AM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth

As has been stated elsewhere, this is not a thread for soliciting feedback on customs (though it sometimes acts that way). Given the changes to the card occurring due to feedback in another thread, I vote to review the Gargoyles of Mitonsoul at this time.
Old August 21st, 2012, 07:11 PM
has been BANNED

qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness qt.bangerang wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I vote NO to review the Gargoyles of Mitonsoul base on the card and the figure choice.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards > C3V and SoV Customs