Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old June 27th, 2011, 12:22 AM

Billtrumpet25 is surprisingly tart
Exclamation Copyright Law

So many people ask what goes into getting a federal Copyright, and what protections/benefits there are in getting one. This thread is basically for anyone who has questions about the Copyright law, or those who have written some form of literature and are still on the fence of getting a Copyright on his/her work.

Shoot me a PM, or reply to this post with questions/concerns, and I'll try to answer them as best I can. I'm no lawyer, but I am well versed with this (as I have had to read up on copyrights because I'm going to send in a book I wrote). For more advanced scenarios/questions, I advise you to consult adequate legal representation.
Old July 31st, 2011, 03:30 PM

Gog the Viking is surprisingly tart
Re: Copyright Law

The most useful thing I learned in school last year:

If you have something you want copyrighted, the first step is to mail yourself a letter with a copy of the subject matter in it. Then hide it away and never open it. That way if there is ever legal debate you can pull out the letter which contains the date of sending and prove that YOU thought of whatever it is first!

This is obviously not the best way to get ownership of something, but it is a good first step to get some security regarding your ideas.
Old July 31st, 2011, 04:04 PM

Good idea, but it's called a "poor man's copyright"...

Courts don't really count those anymore as evidence.

Also, you can only sue if you have a federal copyright.
Old August 1st, 2011, 09:42 AM

Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness Codeman wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gog the Viking View Post

If you have something you want copyrighted, the first step is to mail yourself a letter with a copy of the subject matter in it. Then hide it away and never open it. That way if there is ever legal debate you can pull out the letter which contains the date of sending and prove that YOU thought of whatever it is first!

This is obviously not the best way to get ownership of something, but it is a good first step to get some security regarding your ideas.
What school did they teach that in? I think it is more just a teacher passing on some of his or her ideas on this topic.

That would not stand up. You can send a unsealed envelope thru the mail or even go to the post office and have them cancel a stamp on an envelope for you... Then at a latter date you can always write something and put it in the envelope and then seal it.... no one in the leagal system would accept that type of documenation.

Tree Town Open

Austi-Con / Austin MN
Saturday - October , 2023
Old August 2nd, 2011, 01:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gog the Viking View Post

What school did they teach that in? I think it is more just a teacher passing on some of his or her ideas on this topic.

That would not stand up. You can send a unsealed envelope thru the mail or even go to the post office and have them cancel a stamp on an envelope for you... Then at a latter date you can always write something and put it in the envelope and then seal it.... no one in the leagal system would accept that type of documenation.
Just like I said....

Best thing to do is fill out File CO or File TX, VA, etc from the US Copyright Office.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books