Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old July 6th, 2007, 02:21 PM
Raconteur Extraordinaire

Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby! Firemaster rolls all skulls baby!
The Book of Ashigaru Yari

The Book of Ashigaru Yari
Fields of Valor - Collection 7 - Riflemen and Spearmen

If you cannot see the Army Card graphic, check Hasbro's Unit Page for stats and special powers, plus "character biography" and other non-game unit info.

Character Bio:All throughout the feudal period of Japan, there had been a place for the lowest-class warrior, the ashigaru, on the battlefield. Despite the lack of fighting skills, such as a samurai’s, the ashigaru was nevertheless an important part of the overall battlefield strategy, overcoming more skilled opposition with sheer numbers. The ashigaru became a central force in group combat, forming the backbone of the army.

The ashigaru yari were light-foot soldiers outfitted with typical conical helmets, minimal armor, and spears. Their level of training varied but a good army of ashigaru would hold their ranks and provide the needed support on the battlefield. It is this discipline that Einar sought in the ashigaru yari to support his warriors and battlefield strategy. Even on Valhalla, the ashigaru have a place to fight among the most powerful warriors ever assembled by Einar. (Hasbro)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Confred View Post
ENCIRCLE SPECIAL ATTACK
Range 1. Attack 6.
If 3 Ashigaru Yari you control are adjacent to the same enemy figure, they may roll their attack dice as one combined attack. The defending figure compares height to the lowest Ashigaru Yari to determine any height advantage. If Encircle Special Attack is used, the 4th figure that moved this turn cannot attack.

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • - ENCIRCLE SPECIAL ATTACK : Attacking with a fourth Yari
    If I don't move a fourth Ashigaru Yari, can I attack with it after using Encircle Special Attack?
    No. Moving 0 spaces is still considered a move.

Synergy Benefits Received
  • - HATAMOTO TARO : Heroic Defense Aura
    As Ashigaru, the Ashigaru Yari may benefit from Hatamoto Taro’s HEROIC DEFENSE AURA

- KATO KATSURO : Kato Katsuro's Command
    As Ashigaru Yari, the Ashigaru Yari may benefit from Kato Katsura's KATO KATSURA'S COMMAND activation synergy.
Synergy Benefits Offered
  • - SACRED BAND : Disciplined Army Defense Bonus
    Having a Disciplined personality, the Ashigaru Yari may aid the Sacred Band with their DISCIPLINED ARMY DEFENSE BONUS
    *NOTE: See The Book of Sacred Band for proper application.
C3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!

-Strategy, Tactics and Tips-_________________________________________________________________
-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Power Rankings

Jexik: Ashigaru Yari- As long as these guys don't clog your starting spaces, the Ashigaru Yari in great numbers can challenge most troops in melee battles. C+

OEAO: Ashigaru Yari- Yari are pretty bad. While Encircle is better than the Zombies' Horde Attack, they are much worse than Zombies at everything else. C+

Cleon: Tier 4 (154/208)

dok (VC inclusive): B-

Master Index
Base a Competitive Army Around: Ashigaru!
Unit Debate #29 -- Ashigaru Vs. Romans
Ashigaru: A Closer Look (How to use)

Unit Strategy Review
  • - TBA

Last edited by superfrog; March 5th, 2019 at 11:04 PM. Reason: vc added
Old July 6th, 2007, 02:56 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
These guys look like fun to me. They are only 10 pts a figure. They have horrible defense and will most likely die before you can do anything. Their special is really cool though. You get 6 atttack and don't have to be on the same level (like with the zombies). Plus u get to move 4 guys beforehand. This means that even if you lose one, you can still use your special attack, which is more than any other unit in heroscape can say so far. Every other unit whether it is zombies or roman archers, lose their cool combined special attack if they lose a figure, these guys don't

I can't imagine these guys will see too much playing in tournaments (i would rather have zombies), but they do look like fun, I love the sculpts. Also the starting zone restrictions also restrict the use of a massive spearman army as well.
Old July 6th, 2007, 03:02 PM

GForce3062 has disabled reputation
These guys do look fun, and are very cheap. Their sweet special laughs in the face of the Roman Archers and Zombies. These guys can be very good swarm units. Get five squads of these guys, and it's only 200 points! These guys can also be used as good, inexpensive sacrifices to Cyprien. They're only 40 points, and there's four of them. Plus, with only one defense die, Cyprien's almost gauranteed to kill one each turn. And with 'Chilling Touch' he can even kill two.
Old July 6th, 2007, 03:26 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness
The small starting zones for most games hurt the swarm a lot. With the grut swarm u have heroes that can soak up pts but these guys rely on massive numbers. es for 200 pts u get 20 figures, which is awesome. But that is only 200 pts, u need to have 200 more pts for even a small 400 pt army, and with only 4 hexes to spare. It would be interesting to try these guys with cyprien as the "cattle" for him. I still can't wait to use anything from wave 7
Old July 6th, 2007, 09:46 PM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Samurai bonding doesn't make sense to me at all. If you look at the common squads with full bonding, almost none of them have abilities that help them attack/defend outside of their turn. You've got Coward's Reward, Shield Wall, and disciplined army defense, I think that's it. And when a hero receives the bonding, it's almost always one like Marcus or Mittens who gives bonuses that trigger on your own order markers, or at most has an adjacent buff effect like Parmenio or Thorgrim.

But Einar, like Jandar, has more powers (e.g. Kiova and Taro auras) that give boosts active on the opponent's turns. Elite Eastern warriors-- samurai and ninjas-- have signature, defining powers that help them big-time on the opponent's marker.

So you can have your four or six full turns with your bonding army, but your units will mainly just be sitting there passively soaking up damage on the opponent's turn. It's when you go the non-bonding route that you get Raelin, Charos, samurai, ninjas, nakitas, rats, etc.-- the guys who can justify much of their cost on the other guy's turns.

I think it's an important distinction. I had to go back and overhaul several of my customs to conform when I realized it.
Old July 7th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!
I really like these guys. They are cheap, reminiscent of grut orcs. They have a very nice Special Attack that works out better than the Zombies and Roman Archers. No worrying about level playing fields, AND you can still use it when your last squad is one figure short.
Old July 7th, 2007, 02:21 AM

hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I really like that these guys work without being on the same level. I hardly ever play flat maps so the Zombies see little use in my battles. There defense is painfully low, but they have potential for some major hurt.

Old July 7th, 2007, 04:32 AM

philowar is surprisingly tart
These guys suck, plain and simple. Throw a couple cheap squads of Romans, Gruts, Warriors of Ashra, or even Sacred Band at them and they'll be cut to ribbons. Combined 6 attack? Big deal. It's only against one figure. One 6 dice roll and your turn is over. Now watch your spearmen drop like flies on your opponent's next turn. And with 2 attack and 1 defense, they can't even stand toe to toe with the crappiest of melee squads.
Old July 7th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Embraces the Suck

rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness rdhight wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by philowar
These guys suck, plain and simple. Throw a couple cheap squads of Romans, Gruts, Warriors of Ashra, or even Sacred Band at them and they'll be cut to ribbons. Combined 6 attack? Big deal. It's only against one figure. One 6 dice roll and your turn is over. Now watch your spearmen drop like flies on your opponent's next turn. And with 2 attack and 1 defense, they can't even stand toe to toe with the crappiest of melee squads.
Zombies get 3 attacks of 2 or 1 special attack of 6, and they have to be on the level to combine. Roman Archers get 3 attacks of 2 or 1 special attack of 6, and they must be all on the level, all in range and LOS, and all unengaged to combine. Ashigaru Yari get 4 attacks of 2 or 1 special attack of 6, and they can be on different heights. So of the units that can do this: they are the cheapest; they have the easiest requirements to combine; they roll the most attack dice when they don't combine.

Of course enemy melee squads will shred them; they aren't an anti-melee-squad unit. But these guys could be very efficient against more expensive heroes who lack multiple attacks, like Drake/Carr or some of the Marvel supers.

Last edited by MegaSilver; August 2nd, 2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Spelling.
Old July 7th, 2007, 07:31 AM

Teamski is surprisingly tart
Yeah, I'm not too hot on these guys. On ANY range heavy map, these guys will fold like cards. Heck, you get Aubrians in the opposing army and you can just write them off up front, period. I wouldn't waste my turn markers on them. At 50 points, bonding and shield wall, the Legionaires are a far better value.....

-Ski
Old July 7th, 2007, 10:34 AM

GForce3062 has disabled reputation
Why are you guys hating on these guys so much? I love these guys! They're 40 points, and offer you four figures with an attack of two, and an awesome 6 attack special which doesn't matter what height they're on and if you lose one, you can still use the special. Do you know how much damage that 6 attack can do? If you roll three or four skulls, you can wound heavily wound a 'heavy hitter'. Heck, they might even be able to put a wound on Q9. And they're 40 points! Sure after your turn, they'll drop like flies. But that's why you draft three or four squads of these guys, and put yourself in a position where you'll get the first hit, and see how much damage they really do. If you guys think they suck so bad, use them as a 30 point squad and see how broken it'll be. Well, that's my 2 cents.
Old July 7th, 2007, 10:42 AM

Dictatorbilbo is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by GForce3062
Why are you guys hating on these guys so much? I love these guys! They're 40 points, and offer you four figures with an attack of two, and an awesome 6 attack special which doesn't matter what height they're on and if you lose one, you can still use the special. Do you know how much damage that 6 attack can do? If you roll three or four skulls, you can wound heavily wound a 'heavy hitter'. Heck, they might even be able to put a wound on Q9. And they're 40 points! Sure after your turn, they'll drop like flies. But that's why you draft three or four squads of these guys, and put yourself in a position where you'll get the first hit, and see how much damage they really do. If you guys think they suck so bad, use them as a 30 point squad and see how broken it'll be. Well, that's my 2 cents.
The problem is, with their defense, would they ever even be able to get close enough to range in order to hit them at all? In your example, Q9 could easily mow them down as they try to get adjacent for their attack. While they would do well against other melee squads and heroes, they would be slaughtered by pretty much any ranged squad.

MR. GRUBBY'S
GRAND ADVENTURE

~ ONLY IN THE ~
KAUNAN KEEP

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units