Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP News
AotP News Sightings, official news, etc.

Notices

Old March 6th, 2016, 09:41 PM

Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby!
Re: AotP at Gencon 2016

For the purposes of a competitive event (tournament), with just the base and one expansion available currently, would it make sense to play at 500 point max with single color PWs only? Kiora would be allowed to be used, but would need to be used as either a blue PW or a green PW. That would provide some army and deck building options (a minor amount, but some) and potentially 8 different PW options. Part of the reasoning behind this is to minimize the number of mirror matches in a 16 player event.
Old March 7th, 2016, 01:02 AM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I still say just hold out for a 3rd set, as long as it releases before August, the 500 vs. 600 answer should be much clearer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old March 7th, 2016, 07:40 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

The third set isn't releasing until the Fall.
Old March 7th, 2016, 09:03 AM

Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby! Kajoq rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Both the base set and the expansion have release on Amazon ~1 1/2 - 2 months early, so we might get lucky on timing
Old March 7th, 2016, 05:39 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Let me have my misplaced optimism!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.
Old March 8th, 2016, 01:29 PM

nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness nate the dawg wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kajoq View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
Both the base set and the expansion have release on Amazon ~1 1/2 - 2 months early, so we might get lucky on timing
Yeah, and I wouldn't be surprised if it comes out in time for GenCon.

WORST. PALADIN. EVER.

Overall Tourney Record: ....I don't even remember anymore!
Old July 14th, 2016, 06:08 AM

RollItOnTop is surprisingly tart

Can someone explain the Deck construction rules for the GenCon event?

"Bring a pre-drafted army & spell deck (500 point limit)"

Does this mean that you can have 500 pts of units and spells combined? Also, I hear the new rulebook states that one copy max of each spell card can be included in your deck. Is this true?

Thanks for your help.
Old July 14th, 2016, 07:44 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

As per the rules, Spell Decks are always exactly 12 cards(no duplicates) and a maximum of 200 points.

500 is the total army cost for figures which is the original standard.

Good luck, wish I could get into that one.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old July 15th, 2016, 01:20 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Yes, I was mistaken at first by the description as well. 500 point army + 200 point spells. See and contributed to AotP 500 point army and deck (Good for Gencon) and check out the All possible army combinations (500 points) @Kajoq linked to from Planeswalker Arena.
Old July 17th, 2016, 08:32 PM

CT1001 Woo who?

Hi - I'm new to this forum.

I've signed up for the Magic AOTP tourament at GenCon and was wondering since the new Expansion is now out, if there was any thought to going to 600 points for the armies? (In the official rules, it now says 600 points.)

Thanks - looking forward to playing at GenCon and perusing these forums.
Old July 17th, 2016, 11:40 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Welcome @CT1001 . Thursday night tournament will be 500 point army + 200 point spell deck, set for all; it was submitted before even Zendikar, so is too late to change. There is an open event Friday night at 9pm, that I am sure some people would want to play a 600 point game or two. Maybe next year we can do 600. BTW, here is some stuff I posted on planeswalker arena, but I want to make sure I am correct:
Quote:
Still spot left for both events, but also if the Friday night open play event fills up you can bring generic tickets. There are 24 total Heroscape 2-player maps to be used for both Heroscape and Magic:Arena, but on Friday at 9pm there are a potential 20 more players that can join any of the events. The organizers intentionally did this because they did not know which events would be more popular and wanted to allow generics as well as buffer in case all events don't sell out to not be penalized by Gencon. You could even play a little Heroscape and a little Magic:Arena in the 4 hour open play if you wanted to as well. Also, armies and cards can be provided if you need for either game, and we can do a "learn-to-play" round for you or a friend who has never played before.

To add incentive, there will be prizes for at least the top 3 players in tournament, both official sets as well as Gencon exclusive surprises provided by Heroscapers.

See All possible army combinations (500 points) for suggestion on what armies to bring. Also, with the game played on Heroscape terrain, none of the maps will have the new cryptoliths, but will be using the road rules found in the new set (+3 move if all your move is on road terrain). However I highly doubt any of the other Heroscape terrain rules will be in effect, so snow/ice, lava, shadow, and jungle bonuses will not count, but of course the maps have a lot more water, line-of-sight blockers and terrain elevation changes than most Magic:Arena players are used too. But just trust that these maps have been highly tested for competitive use and should be great for a Magic:AotP tournaments. See the Heroscapes Gencon 2016 thread for maps if you are curious. We will be playing with Glyphs on some maps as well, and glyph locations are on the maps but obviously Magic:Arena glyphs from both master sets will be instead of Heroscape glyphs.
So was I right on these things?
  • Are we having prize support? I am willing to fork up a master set or expansion if there is no set provided. I would also like to see some of the Gencon dice, t-shirts, and trophy that the heroscape winners are getting too.
  • Are the road rules but no other terrain rules in play? I think we should not have any of the Magic:AotP games on Fire Isles as we should not do lava rules and that map was designed with lava rules in mind. Now that I think about is since there are no "rounds" in AotP we couldn't do lava field rules if we wanted too. Wendigo has normal snow & ice so is no issue, and I don't think the other 3 maps (Quasatch Playground, Burial Marsh, Vestige) will be too bad if we don't play with Jungle or Shadow rules. If we wanted to, we could substitute one of the maps from the official scenario booklets, including the new Shadows over Innistrad one with Cryptoliths, or the Walmart exclusive one.
  • Is there a Magic:AotP glyph pool? Assuming all glyphs from both sets will be equally distributed. I guess we need enough glyphs for at least 8 maps which is 2 of each master set. I can provide one set of each if someone else provides another.
  • Could we provide armies, cards, markers, and dice if someone wanted to use in the open play? I can bring my sets at least.
Old July 18th, 2016, 12:04 AM

CT1001 Woo who?

Thank you very much for the response - that's very helpful.

BTW, I've never played Heroscape and don't know much about it, so the Heroscape specific terrain is going to be totally new to me. Hopefully, I won't be too lost playing on it.

Not sure what I've booked for Friday night, but if I'm able (and not too demoralized from Thursday), I'll try to make it then as well.

One last question: Will we be using the rules out of the new expansion as well as the base set? I believe there are a few things that have changed, such as road travel rules, etc. Also, I'm assuming we can use the characters from the expansion as well?

Thanks again!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP News