Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:10 PM

Shimpuff is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Re: Jaz1597's LOTR Customs: Now With Mumak! (Updated 2/12/10

looks very nice, i just wish the mumakil had more then one archer..

In war, there is no prize for the runner up
Old March 2nd, 2010, 05:53 PM

Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpuff View Post
looks very nice, i just wish the mumakil had more then one archer..
Yeah...I ran out of room on the howdah. I may try to fix it, although I'm planning on making a second, so I can enlarge the howdah on that one. This is still very much a work in progress. I'm not at all happy with the card yet...

LOTR Customs
I'm sure of your ability
To become my perfect enemy
Old May 21st, 2011, 08:57 PM

SammyK is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Have you tried Game's Workshop's Lord of the Rings stuff? Here's a link to the sight:
http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/ca...GameStyle=lotr
Not really the cheapest alternative but they get the job done (and they have dwarves too!)
Old May 21st, 2011, 10:43 PM

Quack188 knows what's in an order marker Quack188 knows what's in an order marker Quack188 knows what's in an order marker

That has been mentioned a few times in this thread already. They are smaller than Heroscape figures and they need to be painted. The figures from the LOTR TMG are apparently pretty much the same size.

I've read through most of these and they look great. I'm really impressed with the cards, although I wish they were a bit bigger because some of the text is a bit small. I need to try and hunt some of these down eventually. Any news on The Hobbit cards? I'd really like to see them. Awesome job by the way. +rep.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 10:31 PM

Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker Jaz1597 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack188 View Post
That has been mentioned a few times in this thread already. They are smaller than Heroscape figures and they need to be painted. The figures from the LOTR TMG are apparently pretty much the same size.

I've read through most of these and they look great. I'm really impressed with the cards, although I wish they were a bit bigger because some of the text is a bit small. I need to try and hunt some of these down eventually. Any news on The Hobbit cards? I'd really like to see them. Awesome job by the way. +rep.
Thanks! Unfortunately, I've been busy with some other projects. Although the Hobbit figures are complete, I'm still working on the cards (I know...it's been over a year).

I haven't come up with a solution yet for the font size. It's mostly an issue with the figures that have multiple abilities. I contemplated doing multiple cards. When I have time to devote to this project again, I'll tackle that issue once more. I'm betting the new figures from WizKids will give me the incentive I need...

LOTR Customs
I'm sure of your ability

Last edited by Jaz1597; May 22nd, 2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old May 22nd, 2011, 11:10 PM

Quack188 knows what's in an order marker Quack188 knows what's in an order marker Quack188 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz1597 View Post
I'm betting the new figures from WizKids will give me the incentive I need...
I can't wait for these to be released. When they are I'll probably make your cards into a Heroscape version and use them. That is, if you don't mind.
Old May 23rd, 2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quack188 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaz1597 View Post
I'm betting the new figures from WizKids will give me the incentive I need...
I can't wait for these to be released. When they are I'll probably make your cards into a Heroscape version and use them. That is, if you don't mind.
Of course I don't mind. That's why I posted them!

LOTR Customs
I'm sure of your ability
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:04 AM

dwarrior is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I registered to give some quick feedback on the Moria units. I absolutely love the custom units you've done so I don't mean to be negative in any way.

We played a 300 point game:
2*Moria Archers, 2*Moria Warriors , Cave Troll
Gondor Archers, Gondor Soldiers, Aragorn, Boromir

In the two games we played, Gonder got massacred. Even starting Gonder on the highground they got wiped, while Moria still had 195 points left.

The reason, in my opinion, is beast bonding. Taking a free turn with a cave troll everytime u put on order marker on the archers is way to powerfull. Putting an order marker on the archers felt like I was playing with the cave troll and that the archers were some extra special attack. Really weird. The Moria Warriors got completely ignored and didn't move for the entire second game.

Playing Moria felt so cheesy that it wasn't fun to play anymore, let alone to play against them.
We're going to play these armies again, but ignore beast bonding. Maybe that will balance things.
Old July 5th, 2011, 09:46 AM

Thanks for the feedback! It's been a while since I did any playtesting, but the Moria units were based off of the Grut Orcs. I'll have to do some more playtesting, but if they're as overpowered as you say, I may have to change it to Movement Bonding.

LOTR Customs
I'm sure of your ability
Old July 5th, 2011, 04:09 PM

dwarrior is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

We did some more playtesting, I'll try to explain our findings as clear as posible.

I like synergy between units, so instead of nerfing the Cave Troll we used the Grut Orc stats for the Moria Archers. So 1A, 1D, 3 models, 40 points; instead of 2A, 1D, 4 models, 60 points. In short: this was a lot more balanced.

Say your strategy is performing a long charge on Aragorn with the Cave Troll. The 4 A2 attacks you get from the archers were very effective in keeping other squads away from the Troll. Either by simply destroying them or by using their numbers to keep the models in close combat. These attacks can also be effective against heros. They easily gave Aragorn 2 wounds before the Troll reached him.

Using the Grut Orc stats this gets a lot more difficult for the Moria player. With our armies they were extremely usefull in killing at least one Gondor Archers, negating their Volley Attack (probably the best attack the Gondor army has against the Cave Troll) but overall they had a lot more problems keeping the Troll safe. Without hight advantage, seriously damaging a hero like Aragorn (D4) is almost impossible.

This made everything a lot more balanced. The Moria Warriors were needed to support the Troll, the archers felt weaker but more models were in play (so very in the spirit of Moria Goblins) and hight advantage became more important (again very Moria-like).

I've seen in the thread you don't like to make a direct copy of an original unit, but I think in this case it's the best solution (nerfing the bounding is a shame, and upping the point cost means less models in play).

Anyway, I'm not trying to tell you what to do, it's just a suggestion.
Old July 5th, 2011, 05:12 PM

I actually really appreciate it. Unfortunately, this project has fallen by the wayside a little bit, what with other commitments. I'm glad someone is getting use out of these!

I think it would be great if a bunch of people wanted to work together to create "official" custom LOTR units (like C3G). It would be a great way to spread out the playtesting and see what works. But the last time it was brought up there didn't seem to be a whole lot of interest.

LOTR Customs
I'm sure of your ability
Old July 28th, 2012, 06:22 PM

JESUSFREAK rolls all skulls baby! JESUSFREAK rolls all skulls baby! JESUSFREAK rolls all skulls baby! JESUSFREAK rolls all skulls baby!

Your stuff is awesome! I love it! Question though, when ARE you going to do The Hobbit? Or, please just add Old Bilbo. Please?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards