Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP News > Sightings and Sales

Notices

Old July 25th, 2015, 12:06 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation
Current M:tG-AotP Sightings on eBay etc.

Just out of curiosity, I searched for "Arena Planeswalker" on the eBay auction web site and eight listings popped up ranging in price from $19.99 plus shipping all the way to $80.00 with FREE shipping. This was just before midnight on Friday July 24th, 2015. Meanwhile there were 1,330 listing for "HeroScape" with prices, as usual, all over the place for complete sets and single items.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old July 25th, 2015, 01:51 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Current M:tG-AotP Sightings on eBay etc.

Someone mentioned on another thread that Hastings might have them... Confirmed!

~Aldin, pleased owner

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old July 25th, 2015, 08:46 PM

elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldin View Post
Someone mentioned on another thread that Hastings might have them... Confirmed!

~Aldin, pleased owner
Hastings has had them for quite a while, actually. I saw them there a week ago. All this buzz has me thinking I need to go back and pick up a copy.

"elvenwizard9." Now that's a username I've not heard in a long time.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
I stopped by Walmart today for other reasons and checked just to see. I didn't expect to see them on day 1 and I didn't. Will check my FLAGS in a week or so.
On a whim, I headed out early yesterday morning (Sat. 08/01) to one of my Walmart's (I have four of them within 1/2 hour drive: NW, N, W, & S) ... with the intention to specifically looking for this M:tG-AtoP item. I was not overly surprised, but definitely delighted to find four copies of the game on the bottom shelf of the AmeriTrash aisle in between Bingo and Wooden Chess/Checkers/Backgammon sets. Whoohoo! I was tempted to whip out my credit card and buy up all four copies at $29.82, but I had already ordered two copies online thru Amazon at $29.99 in order to qualify for the FREE Shipping. The 17 cents savings per copy was at that point irrelevant.

The funny thing was that they were NOT facing out with landscape orientation to show off the box cover art, but were just shoved in lengthwise so that only the narrowest edge was visible. I suspect that one of the overnight stockmen was told, "Make sure you get this carton opened and the boxes put on a shelf TONIGHT because tomorrow is the official release date of this new game and we are under contract with Hasbro not show or sell it until then." And then he just shoved it in where he found some space and did not bother to display it properly.

Also there was NO price tag on the box and NO label on the shelf describing the product or it's price. When I ran it thru a store scanner it showed me the error message, "See a Sales Associate for assistance." Which indicated to me that the Walmart database just hadn't been updated with this new item yet, although the register was able to find it. Next I went to Toys-R-Us and Target and both stores told me that they only carry the M:tG cards and do not have the board game. But that doesn't mean that they won't be getting in their own supply of them before Christmas, if Hasbro has anything to say about it. We'll have to wait and see.

&obtw: What's a "Hastings?" I'm assuming that it's a West Coast or Midwest Dept Store chain.

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old August 2nd, 2015, 06:23 PM

belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby!

Hastings sells books, music, movies, posters, games etc.
Old August 3rd, 2015, 11:04 PM

Above, I mentioned that I found M:tG-AotP at one of my local Walmarts on Saturday and today I was back at a Target Store and saw two guys with a stack of cartons rearranging one of the toy aisles. So I asked them if they knew anything about the Magic: The Gathering board game. Sure enough, they both pulled out their gun looking barcode scanning device and put in a search for it. So from them I learned that it is already listed in Target's inventory system and they should be receiving a shipment of them by the end of the week.

That made me think - just imagine how many of these games had to be produced, packaged, and distributed for EVERY Walmart, Target, and Hastings to carry and display maybe a dozen copies. Holy Mackerel - that's a heck of a lot of games, that must have cost a HELL of a lot of money upfront. I guess the WotC/Hasbro corp. exec's must be expecting a huge volume of $ALE$ to make it worthwhile, i.e. producing a sufficient Return On this Investment to satisfy the stockholders.

Meanwhile, all of the FLGS will become frustrated that they can't make a decent profit competing against the Big Box Stores and may not even support future tournaments and demo's, especially if it cuts into their M:tG CCG sales.

My biggest fear is that Hasbro will flood the market with great expectations (it's now leading into the Christmas -buying frenzy- Season), that will fall short. Anyone who has studied any Economics knows that it's all about Supply & Demand.

Too much of even a good thing will cause the price to drop and then the accountants will rule on whether this is a successful product line base purely on the amount of profit that it generated. Then we will witness another Marketing debacle much like Battleship Galaxies was abandoned a few years ago.

Last edited by Johngee; August 3rd, 2015 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Corrections
Old August 5th, 2015, 01:58 PM

Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby! Targanth rolls all skulls baby!

I was at the Target on the north side of Rochester Minnesota this morning and located the game in the board game section of the store.
Old August 7th, 2015, 12:19 AM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Is this thread for store sightings? In the thread title, what does "eBay etc" mean?

I kinda like keeping online sightings and store sightings in separate threads. I'll ask an admin to lock my other thread (which I had planned to keep updating the first post for a while) if this one was intended to also be for sightings at stores.
Old August 12th, 2015, 12:21 AM

@GaryLASQ

I started this thread after hearing that only a few copies of the games had become available on Amazon-dot-COM, intending to alert other HeroScapers to where and how they might be obtained. I had no idea that the Hasbro marketing giant already had plans to distribute it so widely.

Putting "eBay etc." in the title was a misnomer. Afterwards I thought that the topic should have been called: "Recent sightings of M:tG-AotP on-line or in stores." I was also unaware that another thread had already been created - my apologies to you for hijacking any prior discussions. The Admins can 'LOCK' this thread if the other one contains more pertinent information.

Apparently, both of these threads will become irrelevant as soon as this new product's distribution phase is completed because I believe it will be ubiquitously available in every Walmart, Target, Hastings and similar Big Box stores as well as many FLGS and on-line suppliers. Hopefully, with expansions in January, the volume of sales will warrant a second printing and signal its successful roll out and potential continuation.

Old August 13th, 2015, 11:29 AM
Spin Master

GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun GaryLASQ is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
I was also unaware that another thread had already been created - my apologies to you for hijacking any prior discussions. The Admins can 'LOCK' this thread if the other one contains more pertinent information.
I'm pretty sure your thread was first making me the hijacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Apparently, both of these threads will become irrelevant as soon as this new product's distribution phase is completed because I believe it will be ubiquitously available in every Walmart, Target, Hastings and similar Big Box stores as well as many FLGS and on-line suppliers.
Yeah, won't be long before it's available everywhere. These sighting threads, especially the store sighting threads, are more helpful when a set becomes harder to find.
Old September 27th, 2015, 10:45 AM
Saving the world - one lonely Marro at a time

mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth mac122 is a man of the cloth

AtoP $23.99 on Amazon. Amazon prices change without warning.

My Customs HoSS HoSS Sortable Index
Looking for the Codex?
My Trade List
Tourney Record: 2-11 I4031
Old September 28th, 2015, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac122 View Post
AtoP $23.99 on Amazon. Amazon prices change without warning.
I purchased two AtoP from Amazon, just to get the FREE shipping when my order came to more than $30.oo. I feel that I saved a little bit over the Walmart & Target prices, now I'm seeing the FLGS's marking them up to $34.99 and $39.99. They have to in order to make a decent profit on each one.

I'm surprised (but shouldn't be) that they are NOT flying off the store shelves as I had hope for. I guess as a H'Scaper, I got sucked into the pre-release hype early on. But the Christmas Buying Frenzy Season is coming soon, and I suspect that Hasbro is banking on all those good-intentioned well-meaning aunts and uncles thinking: "Hmm, what should we get him? I heard that he plays 'Magic: The Gathering,' maybe he'll like this new board game with the same title and artwork. Well it's here on the shelf where we shop and within our price range, so let's get it." And therefore a lot of Magic PLayers will be finding it in their stocking and tossing it into their closet.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP News > Sightings and Sales