Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con
Gen Con Anything and everything that has to do with Gencon!

Notices

Old June 22nd, 2016, 11:45 AM
GenCon 2014 Main Event Champ / Obsessive-Compulsive HS Storage Organizer

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth
Re: Gen Con 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
It's ridiculous when an 8 wound Charos or 7 wound Braxas is worth 210 points.
I vehemently disagree. Partial card scoring could have a 1 life Charos lose to 3 blade gruts. That isn't right, it just isn't.

You cannot take the value and complexity of everything that makes a hero, a hero and divide it by their life points. It is folly and only serves to make it different, more granular. It does not make it better. It doesn't stop a player from trying to run with their points; it just changes which player may do it and when.

And besides all that, it is an actual rule. If we are wanting to change a rule, let's start with that dumb stop-on-the-power-glyph rule.

A must read for all 'Scapers!
Old June 22nd, 2016, 12:06 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
Quote:
It's ridiculous when an 8 wound Charos or 7 wound Braxas is worth 210 points.
I vehemently disagree. Partial card scoring could have a 1 life Charos lose to 3 blade gruts. That isn't right, it just isn't.

You cannot take the value and complexity of everything that makes a hero, a hero and divide it by their life points. It is folly and only serves to make it different, more granular. It does not make it better. It doesn't stop a player from trying to run with their points; it just changes which player may do it and when.

And besides all that, it is an actual rule. If we are wanting to change a rule, let's start with that dumb stop-on-the-power-glyph rule.
I feels like right now you're grasping for little corner cases to back your position. A 1 life Charos could easily roll 1 shield vs a Blade Grut's 2 skulls. Yes, it'll take a little luck, but not a ridiculous amount.

In general, in my (and many, dare I say most people's) opinion, partial card scoring more accurately represents the board state.

Edit: and it's a lot better than saying a 1-life Charos is with the same as 3 squads of 4th Mass, which is also a lot more of a likely matchup to have at GenCon.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 12:16 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

I agree with OEAO. The frustrating part of someone "stalling for points" is when someone knows that they are close to losing a big chunk of points so they run the last bit of it away. More granular point loss kind of negates that, since there is never a massive amount of points lost at once. That's the biggest advantage to partial card scoring.

That said, I think the goal should be to finish games, rather than debate how to settle who won an unfinished game. One solution that was used in a tournament I played in made wins and losses on time count for less than legitimate wins. I think the exact system was 4 points for real win, 3 points for win on time, 1 point for real loss, 0 points for loss on time. This would be used as the first tiebreaker, before strength of schedule. This should make people to want to finish their games.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 01:44 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
I agree with OEAO. The frustrating part of someone "stalling for points" is when someone knows that they are close to losing a big chunk of points so they run the last bit of it away. More granular point loss kind of negates that, since there is never a massive amount of points lost at once. That's the biggest advantage to partial card scoring.
Totally agree (although we're beating a dead horse here and are not going to convince anyone). The "run away with the points" really only happens after last round is called, and it's not super common, but it's not good that the rules encourage it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
That said, I think the goal should be to finish games, rather than debate how to settle who won an unfinished game. One solution that was used in a tournament I played in made wins and losses on time count for less than legitimate wins. I think the exact system was 4 points for real win, 3 points for win on time, 1 point for real loss, 0 points for loss on time. This would be used as the first tiebreaker, before strength of schedule. This should make people to want to finish their games.
Interesting idea. I like the idea of approaching this from the perspective of "what will help make games end" as opposed to hammering these old arguments about which is a better representation of board state.

I'm not really convinced it would help much though. As far as I can tell there are no players in the community who sit down to games thinking that they are hoping to stay ahead on points and win on time. We have fast players and we have slower players. I've played plenty of slow players at Gencon but not once have I gotten the impression that my opponent was intentionally stalling to try to preserve a points lead. A rule like this might serve as a slight kick in the pants to slower players who don't want to lose points, or it might lead a few of them to pick different armies, but the impact is going to be pretty marginal, I think.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 02:09 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Slow player here. Not doing anything but losing slowly.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old June 22nd, 2016, 02:17 PM

R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth R˙chean is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Edit: and it's a lot better than saying a 1-life Charos is with the same as 3 squads of 4th Mass, which is also a lot more of a likely matchup to have at GenCon.
So reward the player that is playing a mess of highly point efficient sqauds and penalize the player that took a chance and fielded an over costed hero.

Old June 22nd, 2016, 03:19 PM

Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby! Dragon Ruler rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by R˙chean View Post
Quote:
So reward the player that is playing a mess of highly point efficient sqauds and penalize the player that took a chance and fielded an over costed hero.
Not sure how that would *reward* that player. If the squads are left on the board, they are left on the board. Without partial card scoring, it makes sense to take high life figures as opposed to squads. Most of the tournaments I have played in (Gencon being the only exception I can think of) have used partial card scoring which I believe is generally (although not always) more representative of the state of the board.
Old June 22nd, 2016, 04:37 PM

In other news.......

I believe we are about to get the map pool announcement.

I think so anyway.

Old June 24th, 2016, 03:02 AM

fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla fomox is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Maps are up. (first page, third post)

I don't always use custom units, but when I do I use Sherman Davies Marvel customs.
Old June 24th, 2016, 07:45 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
Maps are up. (first page, third post)
Excellent selection of maps! I'm trying to make things line up so that I can make it for this year. I know I'm running a little late to the party...but just might make it work

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old June 24th, 2016, 03:15 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Nice set of maps.

Quick question about glyphs and Wendigo: can we expect the glyphs to be a similar random pool to last year? If so, will Wendigo still have the attack glyph in the middle in addition to two random glyphs on the side?
Old June 25th, 2016, 08:11 AM
Baron of Beantown V

Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun Cleon is a penguin with a machine gun

Really not a fan of Vestige, but the others look good.

Never played on Wendigo, looks neat.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > Gen Con