Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old August 8th, 2015, 11:34 AM

elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby! elvenwizard9 rolls all skulls baby!
Your Local Meta

So, here's an interesting question, especially for the smaller pockets of the 'Scape community: what's your local tournament meta?

Not many in our group have their own collections, and most that do have a rather small one. Swarm stuff and RotV uniques are common - Airborne, Krav, TKN, and Stingers (especially Stingers) all make regular appearances. Additionally, Redcoat and Roman builds are old favorites and see a lot of play here. None of us have experienced a 4th Massachutsetts army, and the only person who has Deathreavers is me (people rarely ask to borrow them and I never use them). Q10 shows up more often than Q9. There is one player who consistently finds a way to incorporate a Fen Hydra into his army, and another that loves using Minions almost constantly.

I must also add that C3V units often show up as well. A couple of people often play Varkaanan unique armies; Cathar Spearmen show up occasionally. The last couple of tournaments saw Havech Eradicators in the winning army - they are quite the force to be reckoned with!

As a sidenote, the lack of many four man ranged builds allows me to use Vipers fairly often and excel.

So there, that's my local tournament metagame. What's yours?

"elvenwizard9." Now that's a username I've not heard in a long time.
Old August 8th, 2015, 12:28 PM

belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Your Local Meta

Nonexistent.
Old September 22nd, 2015, 10:56 PM

Mew28 Woo who?

The meta at my place is airborne elite and Romans or Charos with greenscales for the most part. With the odd deathwalker showing up if the orks start to see play.
Old September 27th, 2015, 11:58 AM

Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Rich10 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

In Long Island NY, we are fortunate to have a number of members who have complete (or nearly complete) collections of both classic and C3V figures.

My advice would be to proxy. You could use virtually anything as a proxy (like a chess piece), but I like my proxies to look like the figure they are replacing. For example, 10th Regiment make a fine proxy for 4th Mass. Cathar Spearmen (who are fun to play as they are and brutal against melee opponents) make fine proxies for Knights of Weston. Havech Eradicators (another great squad to play as they are) make fine proxies for Marro squads. Shieldsmiths of the Granite Keep (another good squad) make good proxies for Axegrinders.
Old September 28th, 2015, 08:28 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

For a while it seemed like every other army had Cyprien in it. More recently it's been the 10th Regiment and, from the C3V, the Incendiborgs.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 28th, 2015, 11:49 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
For a while it seemed like every other army had Cyprien in it. More recently it's been the 10th Regiment and, from the C3V, the Incendiborgs.
Is that why I haven't got my hands on some reasonably priced incendiborgs? I have a handful of guys I Scape with around my place. We use my collection for most of the games.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old September 28th, 2015, 11:51 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Heh. @akden and @Gurei-Ornery pretty much tie up all the goodies east of the Mississippi, I'm sure. I wouldn't have the Incendiborgs myself, but for Gurei-Ornery tracking them down for me.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; September 28th, 2015 at 11:52 PM. Reason: yes, i know you're west of the mississippi. /shrug
Old September 29th, 2015, 09:31 AM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Heh. @akden and @Gurei-Ornery pretty much tie up all the goodies east of the Mississippi, I'm sure. I wouldn't have the Incendiborgs myself, but for Gurei-Ornery tracking them down for me.
I had no desire to even have a set of Incendiborgs until I was demolished by them at two tournaments in a row. I ended up buying two sets relatively cheaply from some guy in France (I think), which is well east of the Mississippi.

From my point of view, the local meta is hard to pin down because our illustrious tournament organizer does a good job of mixing up formats for each tourney. I do see a lot of Incendiborgs, and there a couple of people who dearly love Atlaga. Also, for some odd reason, C3V units see a lot of use.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 02:43 PM
Our Illustrious Winner?...

yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby! yamissflash rolls all skulls baby!

My local meta is Stingers and Fen Hydra.

Personally, I don't mind their being a metagame. Picking a good army is part of the game.

Although I've never been a fan of the incendiborgs.

Last edited by yamissflash; October 4th, 2015 at 05:21 PM.
Old October 2nd, 2015, 03:24 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I have been going recently to Louisville and Dayton tourneys, have been to Columbus and northeast Ohio tourneys - and they all are slightly different.
Louisville and Columbus seem to be the most competitive with armies similar to those found in Gencon, which make sense since usually 1/2 the top 4 players at most gencon events come from those two cities! However Columbus favors Melee Squads (Orcs, Knights, Dwarves, melee marro, etc.), maybe due to @ManTrainChooChoo and @MattserTruckRally just loving to destroy ranged opponents with them, and Louisville likes to get creative and Tor-kul-na, Glad/blast tends to be popular but really they like mixing it up with most armies featuring C3V/SoV but still very competitive, which is why they do things like Take-2 or other formats that force players to bring B instead of A armies. In the old days (2008-2011) Northeast Ohio used to favor ranged bread-and-butter such 10th, 4th, stingers along with Dragons (still remember one NHSD final had both players have 5 squads of 4th but one player had Taelord and another Nilfhiem), but with newer players entering the scene there is no real Meta. Dayton seems to prefer fun over competitive, so you'll see more zombies or and vampires and monster-mash mixed hero armies, but they are a cool group, mostly due to @WOOKIE leading the way.

One thing I want to note is not by coincidence Venoc Vipers (indefinitely with Mittens) tend to show up in every one of the tournaments I have been, whether they are competitive or not. They were the favorite of @killercactus 's brother who died and so he and those who know them would make sure they were played at each tourney almost as a sentimental gesture. @MegaSilver has been known to proclaim is love for them, so even if he doesn't play them in Louisville someone will. They are a melee squad so of course the Columbus crew loves them. And they are a really fun army so Dayton players enjoy. Even I caught the bug and played and won with them in my last Dayton tourney, and love playing them in home games. 0 defense FTW!

At home games where I usually help friends make armies, I am definitely squad heavy, preferring either bonding melee or ranged powerhouses. To tourneys I usually bring the same, although sometimes opt for fun and really prefer swarm armies such as vipers, drones, and zombies. Can't wait to play some Ants at a tourney soon (but not sure if I will tomorrow).
Old October 2nd, 2015, 04:27 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post

One thing I want to note is not by coincidence Venoc Vipers (indefinitely with Mittens) tend to show up in every one of the tournaments I have been, whether they are competitive or not. They were the favorite of @killercactus 's brother who died and so he and those who know them would make sure they were played at each tourney almost as a sentimental gesture. @MegaSilver has been known to proclaim is love for them, so even if he doesn't play them in Louisville someone will. They are a melee squad so of course the Columbus crew loves them. And they are a really fun army so Dayton players enjoy. Even I caught the bug and played and won with them in my last Dayton tourney, and love playing them in home games. 0 defense FTW!

I definitely don't have a brother who loved using Venocs that died, but I did (and still do, though I haven't played Scape for a very long time due to lack of players, not lack of wanting to) love me some Venoc Vipers, and ran them quite frequently. If I randomly went to a tournament now, no doubt I'd be running me some Vipers.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old October 2nd, 2015, 04:54 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post

I definitely don't have a brother who loved using Venocs that died, but I did (and still do, though I haven't played Scape for a very long time due to lack of players, not lack of wanting to) love me some Venoc Vipers, and ran them quite frequently. If I randomly went to a tournament now, no doubt I'd be running me some Vipers.
Eh, I'm basically the only one that runs Vipers here. Occasionally someone else will show up with them, but's it's usually me. Lately, I've been playing them mostly at GenCon though, since I gotta represent.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion