Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old September 15th, 2016, 11:46 AM
Second Highest Poster

happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness happyjosiah wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Craig Van Ness Q&A Thread

Craig, thanks for everything. Not just Heroscape (my favorite game), but for some of my other favorite designs as well. Star Wars Epic Duels and Risk 2210 both come to mind. It was wonderful to have someone with the creative skills of an independent game designer but with the budget and production quality of Hasbro.

Can you talk a little bit about the influence that 1992's Battle Masters (a Baker design) had on Heroscape?

What figures or types of figures do you most regret that never saw the light of day with the move to D&D and then cancellation? Pirates? The final Elf Wizard? Aquilla Flagbearer? Something else?

Looking for a way to get casual players involved in Heroscape? Do your opponents lack the interest or knowledge to build/draft their own armies? If so, check out Project 500!
Old September 16th, 2016, 01:08 PM

Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker Lord-IVD knows what's in an order marker

What is Soaring Rhino's Mission statement?? or plans for the future, um what are you planing on making next ?

I have Subscribed to your channel Looks like I'm # 92 loving the video's and will always be a fan of your works!!

Thank you for making my life and those around me better through your games !

ALL ARE ONE
Old September 16th, 2016, 03:58 PM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by stay_golden_PONYBOY View Post
Craig,

First of all I can't even begin to thank you for the countless hours I've spent with friends, nephews/nieces and my kids playing this incredible game over the years.

I bumped into Rob, bungee & co at gencon this year and when they recognized the heroscapers.com logo on the shirt I was wearing he introduced himself. Poor guy...I went total fanboy on him to thank him as well.

In 2007 I asked you to autograph an entire set of RotV cards to give away on this site.
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=11543

In 2008, I bumped into you again and asked you to do the same for a SotM...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=20863

I forgot to keep one for myself. Any chance of getting an autographed Drake card?

...and was this Evil Raelin ever considered for production?

Again-

Thank you for this game and best wishes on your future endeavors with Soaring Rhino.
stay_golden_PONYBOY,
Thank you for the kind words.
Yes, we designed and considered introducing Evil Raelin.

As far as a signed card goes- I'm not sure I want to answer that question for fear of getting many requests for signed cards. I will be attending the next Gen Con. Not sure if you are going, but I would be happy to sign cards at Gen Con.
Old September 16th, 2016, 04:38 PM

Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Craig Van Ness is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by EternalThanos86
Hi Craig,
What was life like on a day-to-day basis working on Heroscape? I have a hard time picturing the every day grind.
~ET86
It was fun and a little crazy at times. When we first started, I was the only designer working on Heroscape. A typical day could involve many different aspects of managing a game system. I remember checking and updating the playtest forum often. And yes we did playtest quite a bit. There were many details to stay on top of- managing future lines, paint applications, future sketches of sculpts, new terrain creation and development, the sculpting process, reviewing graphics, rules writing and reviewing which included creating scenarios, managing the costs, tweaking the army card cost formula, working late and vacations to stay on schedule and going to meetings.

Those are the things that came to mind.

It wasn't a grind. It was fun!
Old September 16th, 2016, 07:16 PM

BurnyFlame has disabled reputation
Job

Dear Mr. Van Ness,

I would seriously like to apply to work at Hasbro -- any tips on getting chosen for an interview and landing the job? How did you get yours?

It seems tough now to get a job there because they require a degree in Industrial Design, Product Design, Advertising, Marketing, etc. and a lot of "toy-packaging" related experience, which is hard to come by without working there already. Are there "entry-level" spots?

HeroScape is my favorite game ever. Thank you for all you have done.

-Burny
Old September 17th, 2016, 06:53 PM

Trav11111 knows what's in an order marker Trav11111 knows what's in an order marker

Craig, did the idea of a Heroscape cartoon ever get tossed around? I personally think if one was created we would probably still have Heroscape.

"Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash, Army of darkness
Old September 17th, 2016, 09:36 PM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

"Army card cost formula"? Do tell!
Old September 18th, 2016, 10:26 AM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
"Army card cost formula"? Do tell!
Indeed. That would be most interesting for producing customs. I mean we have our ways anyway, but still.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old September 18th, 2016, 11:55 AM
...Something unique

Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death! Ninja Status is hot lava death!

Hi Craig,

Were there official plans to develop some type of Lord of the Rings HeroScape?

Thanks!
Old September 18th, 2016, 04:16 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Hi Craig, it's quite awesome to have you in the community, especially looking at the customs section! I'm sure your critique will be greatly appreciated there.

I have a game mechanic question. Was there any thoughts of creating units with a range of 2 or 3?

Thanks in advance!
~HS2010
Old September 18th, 2016, 04:18 PM

Rathburn is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Hello Craig, I must ask why did super scape not really get that much love. It does seem like a massively untapped market. Unless there where things such as opposing creative licenses that halted it's continuation, or lack of market impact at first.
Old September 18th, 2016, 10:58 PM
Most Effort : Least Points

Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Nukatha is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I would claim that one of the great tragedies of the Heroscape story was the fact that we never got to see the final member of The Nine (the Elf Wizards) or the Raptorians.
Can you share any information about those two? I especially would like to know whether any artists had made sculpts or concept art, and especially what abilities were considered for the final Wizard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn
The simple step of a courageous individual is not to take part in the lie.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion