Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies
Movies Not Heroscape-related.

Notices

Old December 23rd, 2019, 06:27 AM
Competitive Fan Fiction Champion & Grade A Meme CoNtributor

TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla TheAverageFan is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Exclamation SPOILER TALK: Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker

SPOILERS AHEAD - if you haven't seen the movie get out now

Four years ago I posted a Thread on this subforum covering 2015's The Force Awakens with my (in-retrospect quaint) thoughts on the film. I was mostly relieved that it wasn't a dumpster fire and actually enjoyed it very much and had high hopes for the future. Even my criticisms of the film had a built-in defense: future sequels could fix any issues.

Those of you who have spoken with me about Star Wars more recently know that I didn't like The Last Jedi very much. No amount of pretty visuals or precious t h e m e s can change the damage this movie did to its characters, its universe, and its fanbase. I think even the film's defenders would admit that it feels much more like an ending than a middle chapter. Episode 9 was always doomed to fail, if you ask me. But then I did have low expectations for TFA and high expectations for TLJ, so perhaps RoS could pull through.

So now that I've seen the movie, I can report back with my autopsy findings and we can discuss the full film IN SPOILER DETAIL as well as the Disney Trilogy as a whole now that it's all out:

Remember: spoilers:
Spoiler Alert!

Now I'm already aware that I'm a hater who sees movies just to despise them (that's what disliking TLJ does to you, I suppose), but I'm nonetheless interested in what the rest of y'all think. I've heard some arguments from across the aisle on this movie but the most it amounted to was "didn't bother me", so I'm curious if anyone here has anything meatier to say on the subject.

Or just talk about The Mandalorian. I think people might care more about that than the new movies.

~TAF, 5-6-4-3-1-7-2-RO-S-9-8

TAF was the Storyteller...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT

Old December 23rd, 2019, 09:56 AM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth
Re: SPOILER TALK: Star Wars: Rise of Skywalker

As a stand alone Star Wars film I loved it. Not a huge fan of how the whole trilogy fits together, but that's because it was rushed and each film was made up as they went.

Essentially, every single problem that I believe this trilogy has is because #7 was trying to set up a trilogy rather than be a good film on it's own. It set up way too many mysteries for future films to cover, not realizing there's no time. I think #8 did a great job of explaining most of them, but still have it's own story. And then #9 explained away a lot of #8. Disney just needed to wait a few more years to get at least the main overarching plot settled, and then focus on the films individually, rather than say "The next film will explain this."

But view each as individual films, they're good fun. Well, aside from #7 because it was exact freaking copy of #4. Wasted opportunity.

Palpatine was awesome.
Old December 23rd, 2019, 12:40 PM

The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker The Long eared bat knows what's in an order marker

Vadar's legacy wasn’t lost; he lived on in Kylo and gave peace to the galaxy for a long time until the force awakened. Vadar saved Luke who helped Rey. The new characters introduced were very good, but episode 7+8 were weaker compared to 9 and didn’t link well. 7 was too similar to 4 and I think they should have introduced Palpatine in 8 and not have Snoke so the films would link better. Palpatine is the most powerful sith in star wars and the only one left with no good in him. If they hadn’t of brought him back then they wouldn’t have a villain. A random one would have to come out of nowhere. Kylo could have been the main villain, but it wouldn’t make sense due to his parents being good and vadar turning good.

Long live heroscape
Old December 23rd, 2019, 12:49 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I havent seen the new star wars movie yet and am not in a hurry to. Number 7 got me excited but I then realized it was almost a clone copy of a new hope. Except for they killed Han Solo. They had an opportunity to really bring the main characters to life and get us invested to them here. The big problem with 7 was it was pretty close to the same story as 4. With 8, they could have continued the main characters story arcs in a way that showed them struggle and grow from mistakes and become more. They did not. They took away lukes manhood, cast Ackbar out for Holdo, gave us cool antagonist just to kill them off without letting us know who they were, made leia into mary poppins, and continued to make rey into super rey without any training whatsoever. Then the adventure of finn and rose that had absolutely no point to the story at all. There was so much they could have done with this movie and didnt on so many levels. By the end of it leaving you in a place where you could care less about any of the characters. So, Ill watch this one just to see how it ends. But Im in no hurry. Ill add that Im a crazy star wars fan. Yeah, Im the 30 something year old white guy that has thousands upon thousands in star wars collectables. I fall in that category. I will say though that Im rather enjoying the Mandolorian. I very much love the era of the empire and also that of the clone wars. I have been looking forward to each new episode every friday. Overall thoughts of the new trilogy is as stated above. Wasted opportunities. We will see if the latest film helps change my mind, for I hope that it can.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old December 23rd, 2019, 01:28 PM
Archie

Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth Arch-vile is a man of the cloth

I didn't like 9 at all, I actually thought it was worse than 8. They're enjoyable enough as eye candy but the story of the sequels has been very disappointing to me. It feels so disjointed from the rest of the universe. And each sequel basically throws out everything from the previous movie.

I've enjoyed most of the non-sequel Star Wars stuff they've put out at least - The Mandalorian is great, Rebels was great, Rogue One was great.
Old December 23rd, 2019, 05:04 PM

Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun Tai-Pan is a penguin with a machine gun

Haven't seen 9 yet. I will probably go next weekend. I am really loving the Mandalorian though. The Mandalorian vs the Jawas may have been my favorite sequence of all Star Wars, starting out with him sniping them with his disintegrator rifle. That just felt like "this is deep, dark, secret desire that every Star Wars fan that ever played a Star Wars video game has had. Here you go".

Jugger

It's like football with swords or LARPing without the geeky stuff. In other words, it's awesomely perfect!
Old December 23rd, 2019, 05:11 PM
...has moist legs

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tai-Pan View Post
Haven't seen 9 yet. I will probably go next weekend. I am really loving the Mandalorian though. The Mandalorian vs the Jawas may have been my favorite sequence of all Star Wars, starting out with him sniping them with his disintegrator rifle. That just felt like "this is deep, dark, secret desire that every Star Wars fan that ever played a Star Wars video game has had. Here you go".
Hah yeah, that was a great sequence. Just like that Sandcrawler level in Jedi Academy, except you're fighting Tuskens in the game.
Old December 23rd, 2019, 07:10 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Spoiler Alert!

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old December 23rd, 2019, 10:20 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

The Last Jedi is my favorite Star Wars movie so I'm a bit disappointed that Disney caved and explicitly rejected so much of it. Also a bit relieved that this is the last one in the trilogy so they won't continue on this route.

Rey Palpatine felt very hamhanded and so did Palpatine "making" Snoke. Neither really made sense in terms of what The Last Jedi set up. I liked Rey nobody so much more and Snoke as a creation of Palpatine doesn't even make sense, he has a different personality. A lot of little things rejected The Last Jedi set up too, like Luke explicitly telling Rey he "was wrong" to stay on the island when he literally didn't stay on the island in the important ways, he died to save the Resistance at the end of the movie. The vitriol that got poured on to The Last Jedi was really taken to heart by Disney and they did their best to fix every thing that people endlessly complained about online even when it didn't really fit into the story, but those people are still upset. I wonder why?!?

I think that's maybe a bit too negative sounding review for my actual feelings though. The Ben Solo final ten minutes was a good conclusion for Kylo Ren, and the new trio had good chemistry together on the adventure. Overall I'm not too upset. I can still watch The Last Jedi and appreciate it on its own; it isn't cheapened by the lackluster conclusion (just like Return of the Jedi was never cheapened by The Last Jedi). I think there could have been a substantially better sequel to The Last Jedi made in this film's place, about Rey and Kylo learning to lead in the vacuum left by Snoke and Luke, but it's fine.
Old December 24th, 2019, 10:06 AM
...has moist legs

Yep Vegie, kind of how I feel. Last Jedi made such interesting choices. I loved the reveal of Rey being nobody, it fit the message that you don't have to be born in to power. And then turns out she was. Bleck.

Otherwise the other stuff didn't really bother me. Luke WAS wrong to be on the island, he admitted as much in Last Jedi. He still helped from it though.

But at the end of Last Jedi, Kylo cemented himself in the dark side, and as the supreme leader, making himself the next big bad. It could have been real interesting to see HIM as the "emperor" in the next film, which is what they were trying to do. He could have really shined when not in the shadow of a master. But that was gone in the first 5 minutes of course.

I still loved the film, but the trilogy as a whole is disjointed. It's so weird that the Marvel films are all so good and connected, but they couldn't really find their way with Star Wars.

Oh well, still enjoyed seeing them all. And we have a Kenobi show coming up!
Old August 31st, 2020, 05:17 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Something I've been thinking about the last week or so is that the whole premise of the 30+ years after Return of the Jedi is that the Empire/First Order can survive without Palpatine yet Rise of Skywalker brings him back just to destroy him again and now the Empire/First Order is done for.

So did the Empire and First Order only exist because of Palpatine/Vader/Ren's existence or was there actually a power struggle to fill the vacuum of Palpatine/Vader's absence? It's not like the First Order all arrived at Exegol and died there. So the same issue that kept the Empire around for the Battle of Jakku is the same issue that could keep the First Order around for another battle post-Exegol.

The whole thing feels like a waste of 3 movies for me at this point. I stand by my assumption that Disney would've handled the Prequels better than Lucas (based on their casting abilities and work with Rogue One/Solo) and Lucas would've handled the Sequels better than Disney.
Old August 31st, 2020, 08:23 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

I mean George Lucas made the world of the prequels.The prequels are all about the world and I genuinely don't think anyone else could have made up the world besides him. The prequels have so many genuinely baffling moments that could be so easily fixed and so many very creative things, but it's because George Lucas had full control. No one else like Lucas has ever had full control over a huge budget movie like Lucas had over the prequels, any traditional studio structure and the movies are completely different. It's cool that we got to see them the way they are.

On the other end of it The Last Jedi is by far my favorite Star Wars movie and it really could have only existed as a sequel made by someone who didn't make the originals using the characters of the originals.

Mostly I am fine with how Star Wars turned out. For the people who aren't, I think The Mandalorian and the other various Star Wars TV shows in progress are basically catered to their view of Star Wars, so I think it's okay for you guys. Various Disney shows will be going for a long time I think, and they'll probably do a deeper prequel trilogy eventually. I'm probably not going to change anyone's mind with this post but that's okay.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Movies