Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Notices

Old April 20th, 2021, 02:10 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: Time for some new Approved Terrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I think there is way more to explore with terrain than some suspect.
The terrain itself can change game play without necessarily introducing new game mechanics but I think that is where the real fun can begin.
You are 100% correct T. I think the terrain piece designs can be pretty easy to incorporate. At the end of the day, the terrain is only going to be as balanced as the map is created. This is the same reason we don’t use ladders on a bunch of our competitive maps, and don’t place jungle terrain in combination with high points on the maps. This would be one heck of a project. Any ideas designs that get through a process to be deemed worthy, I’ll create a depository for them with the correctly scaled and used terrain. I can also ensure that it is easy to print and not full of errors. I know Coach Muskie is interested. I am interested in starting this project. All of you that know me know I have a passion for terrain. Let’s gather a group of members together and do this thing.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old April 20th, 2021, 02:15 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I really think this project would be a good add in to the ARV . Though we have been primarily focused on creating balanced competitive maps, I think it could fall under the same category of Architects of Valhalla seeing how we would be building and adding in terrain. @Sir Heroscape , @Nomad , @Robber , @BiggaBullfrog , @Tiranx , @Flash_19 . What do you guys think? It could be a cool sub addition to the Architects group. If you say nay, it will start another place. May as well be there aye?

Old April 20th, 2021, 04:00 PM
Frank Lloyd Wright of Scape

Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Flash_19 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

With the benefits of 3d printing, I think this is a wonderful idea. I would certainly echo the sentiments of @Chris Perkins and @Dad_Scaper - it absolutely has to be done right. But there is so much potential, that I'd love to see something like this take off.

Maps | OHS Maps | Customs
"I think you're absolutely correct in your logic and reasoning and couldn't agree more." ~BiggaBullfrog

Old April 20th, 2021, 11:18 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

I don’t think it could really become official or accepted until it got added to VirtualScape. I feel like custom terrain is just custom terrain until it’s added to the software that builds the maps.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old April 20th, 2021, 11:32 PM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
I don’t think it could really become official or accepted until it got added to VirtualScape. I feel like custom terrain is just custom terrain until it’s added to the software that builds the maps.
With 3D printed terrain, there is already a 3D model that could be imported into it. I’m just not sure on the coding part to get it in there. I haven’t learned to code yet. I don’t think we should let that stand in the way. Speaking of 3D printing, I just picked up another one for terrain and larger models like vehicles.

Old April 21st, 2021, 08:58 AM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I guess through the "approval" process, it could be created for virtual scape. As we have learned with the C3V and SOV, the process (which is good) takes a while and goes through a rigorous testing. By then, the critical mass for sale could be created by printers and creators, and be ready to go both in physical and virtual form.

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old April 21st, 2021, 09:21 AM
"like" happy

I was looking through some of the old threads regarding virtualscape resources. It would require someone with the knowledge to code using that specific language. I’m not sure I know of anyone that is familiar with it that is an active scaper. Despite what Biden said, I don’t think it’s as easy to learn to code as he says.. I’m a mechanic and know nothing about coding. All jokes aside, that is the biggest thing in the way when it comes to virtualscape terrain add one. The 3D models already have meshes to be imported.

Old April 25th, 2021, 11:09 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I think this is a great idea! I think there could be some cool things to do with terrain. In regards to design, we could use the colored dots to represent their location on a map (because I think most would be on the top level) in VirtualScape for live builds, and can place it onto the top down view for online matches.

I've been feeling like despite the presence of soulborgs in the HeroScape universe, there is no real terrain to represent them. Imagine booster hexes that can add move if only used vertically (like the ones in the Halo videogame), force fields that don't block LOS but only allow heroes to move through them. And of course there's other characters that are represented as figures but without terrain - imagine feudal Japanese shrines that make figures within 1 or 2 hexes untargetable from non-adjacent attacks, WWII pillboxes like battlements (but without the height advantage they typically get), or Native American campfires that give adjacent figures +1 range.

I think what to be nice to have with this project is 1) a list of the different terrain ideas 2) a status for the terrain (design, playtesting, public feedback, editing like AotV uses) and 3) a card template that gives a simple rules description for what the terrain does in the vein of glyph cards.
Old April 25th, 2021, 01:31 PM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by S1R_ART0R1US View Post
I think this is a great idea! I think there could be some cool things to do with terrain. In regards to design, we could use the colored dots to represent their location on a map (because I think most would be on the top level) in VirtualScape for live builds, and can place it onto the top down view for online matches.

I've been feeling like despite the presence of soulborgs in the HeroScape universe, there is no real terrain to represent them. Imagine booster hexes that can add move if only used vertically (like the ones in the Halo videogame), force fields that don't block LOS but only allow heroes to move through them. And of course there's other characters that are represented as figures but without terrain - imagine feudal Japanese shrines that make figures within 1 or 2 hexes untargetable from non-adjacent attacks, WWII pillboxes like battlements (but without the height advantage they typically get), or Native American campfires that give adjacent figures +1 range.

I think what to be nice to have with this project is 1) a list of the different terrain ideas 2) a status for the terrain (design, playtesting, public feedback, editing like AotV uses) and 3) a card template that gives a simple rules description for what the terrain does in the vein of glyph cards.
Well said. Using the colored start zone dots is what HoSS uses for its destructible crates and turrets. Getting “official” support here is the only thing that is truly the problem with this idea. If there are enough people that want to do it, we should just do it.

Old April 25th, 2021, 09:23 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I am in and all for getting involved.

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old April 25th, 2021, 09:36 PM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmuskie View Post
I am in and all for getting involved.
@Flash_19 and @Sir Heroscape had some decent outlines for how the project could be presented in the ARV discussion thread. We would probably need to start up a new thing for terrain in the terrain customs thread. Since it would not be ARV in particular or judged by ARV, it would need its own name. Architects of Valhalla’s name suits the project but it isn’t in the same vein exactly as the other project. @coachmuskie , why don’t you spearhead this one. Let’s do a thread for brainstorming what all the project goals would be. An outline of the project if you will.

EDIT: Here's the tidbit @Flash_19 threw down that seems like a good start.

Hey guys, we are interested in collecting people's ideas for unique terrain (including links to STL's and so forth), any potential rules you may have for that terrain, and maps that you have created using that terrain. As of right now, this could be a source for people to turn to when they want ideas for additional terrain that might work well with the game and to see what other people are using.

Last edited by TREX; April 25th, 2021 at 09:53 PM.
Old April 25th, 2021, 10:00 PM
"like" happy

I guess we can just brainstorm here until we make an actual thread for it all.

Overview Guidelines:

-The files would have to be a free and shareable source.

-There would have to be a standardized size/scale for every object or piece of terrain that is presented.

-Every piece that is presented must be presented with an outline of what mechanics it might bring to the table. (Pretty LoS blockers have their place)

-We could separate terrain into three groups: Destructible Objects, Interactive Terrain, Passive Terrain. Destructible Objects and Interactive terrain would both need an overview or discussion starting point to be presented. While Passive Terrain is something like Fancy LOS objects that come in a set with some cool Interactive Terrain that may be the featured piece.

-Terrain that is to be tested on maps created in virtualscape may be represented by using additional colored start zone dots and noted in the map description.

-Brainstorming, testing, and display threads will be decided on at a later time.

This is just a little something to get the discussion started. If anyone has anything to add to this feel free to do so, and we can get to building

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles