Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old July 20th, 2022, 01:33 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Tournament Map Feedback Thread

Some thoughts on the maps from ScapeCon.

Wingspan: I won on this map, I lost on this map, and it was my favorite of the weekend. The jungle at the edges gives good cover to development and glyph approaches, having the max height with three hexes and nearby medium height was sufficient to challenge it. The shadow plus jungle combo in the center works well.

Odin Wept was a challenging map, and I agree with Sir Heroscape that it felt like you were fighting the map as much as your opponent. In particular, I felt like the map was difficult for double spacers, particularly ones without flying. It was difficult to get across to the other side as engaged figures made it easy to get congested. Most engagements took place in the 9 hexes or so between the three hex outcrops/glacier and central glacier. I would consider shifting the position of those to reduce the podding in that area by the SZ and offer some wider paths to move around the central glacier. I also noticed this was one of the few (maybe only) maps from this weekend where there wasn't a space that had height on the glyph spot and nothing higher next to it.

Percolator was a nice map, I enjoyed playing on it. The central water was a feature in my mind that made you think about positioning a bit more, and the glyph placement was great - not so far out of the action that you could just sit on it with no threat, but close to good development spots and at relative height. The ruin and jungle placement was also nice to aid development, and the central flat rock area looks good aesthetically and with some height spots and ruins nearby made for interesting movement. Opposite to Sir Heroscape, I mainly developed to the right not left.

Blackridge played pretty well, although I do have some notes. LOS was a challenge to establish on this map, but it makes sense because of how short and wide it is. I felt like contesting an opponent who pulled left could only really happen from the right, as the road on the left took a fairly circuitous path. And with the climb needed with no jungle, it felt very vulnerable. I liked the opposing three hex heights boarding the road, and didn't feel like that single hex road height spot was as problematic as others, although Guilty did ream me from that spot.

Desolation played pretty well as well, but it felt a bit too big. I think that may have also emphasized the distance between the two sections of your own SZ.

Aeon - solid map. Didn't play on it too much, but liked it both times (a win and a loss)
Old July 20th, 2022, 01:22 PM

Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness Knox wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Curious to hear people's thought's on the Scapecon II multiplayer maps: 4-Player Map, Frenzied, Manji, & One Time at Scout Camp

Documenting the best multiplayer maps is a passion project of mine, eventually you might see a compilation post
Old August 27th, 2022, 07:27 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Bloodstar

I quite liked this map. Development was smooth and I didn’t feel like there were any features that distracted from the gameplay. Not much to say since I felt overall it had good flow and allowed for good positioning Throughout each stage of the game. I like this one!

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old August 28th, 2022, 10:18 AM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

BLOOD STAR

It's kind of amazing how different this map feels from Stygian Rift despite using the exact same sets. Stygian Rift is very much a map defined by the shadow in the middle. By removing the shadow pool in the middle, and having more easily defensible glyphs, this map pushes much out to the sides. The flatland area in front of the start zone is also pretty interesting. Again, it encourages you to go to the sides, because you can more quickly get to and hold height on the sides. The game I played on this was Chasers vs. Harqs. The Harqs mostly chilled in their startzone, but the Chasers had some interesting development decisions to get across the map as fast as they could. I like the map, need more games to have a fully fleshed out opinion, but I always admire maps that feel unique.

END OF THE LINE

This was my second game on End of the Line. I think the startzone is a little odd, shaped weirdly. I think it would be better if that back row were just removed entirely and the startzone was pushed up a little closer to the action of the map. The map itself is pretty cool though. It reminds me a bit of Cleon's Parallel with the glyphs somewhat separate on flatland from the rest of the map. Kind of a hybrid between Parallel and Remains of Clionesia.
Old August 28th, 2022, 12:51 PM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

Thanks Vegie…I’ll consider that feedback…you might be right about it.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old September 14th, 2022, 04:39 PM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Hey y'all! I'm looking for some feedback on a map I'm working on:

I like the state that it's in for the most part, I'm really just trying to decide if I should remove the water tiles and shrink the map width by a tile or keep as is. I've only played a few games on it and it hasn't affected gameplay as much as I feared, but the water does split up the map to a considerable degree.

(Start zones are the first two rows of the map, glyphs are placed seven spaces away on the edge of the center row)
Old September 15th, 2022, 04:50 PM

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaesShurrig View Post

I like the state that it's in for the most part, I'm really just trying to decide if I should remove the water tiles and shrink the map width by a tile or keep as is. I've only played a few games on it and it hasn't affected gameplay as much as I feared, but the water does split up the map to a considerable degree.

(Start zones are the first two rows of the map, glyphs are placed seven spaces away on the edge of the center row)
It's very tempting to take that hex on the bottom left and bring it up to the middle edge of the board to make this map a perfect hex shape.

Usually I only comment on maps that I've played on. My main impression of this map is that it's a little flat, especially with regards to the lava in the middle. I'm not sure it's really worth stepping in that middle lava given that it offers no relative height. It's already more dangerous ground because it's near the road. The level 3 rock outside the startzone seems like the safest place on the map.
Old September 16th, 2022, 12:06 PM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaesShurrig View Post

It's very tempting to take that hex on the bottom left and bring it up to the middle edge of the board to make this map a perfect hex shape.

Usually I only comment on maps that I've played on. My main impression of this map is that it's a little flat, especially with regards to the lava in the middle. I'm not sure it's really worth stepping in that middle lava given that it offers no relative height. It's already more dangerous ground because it's near the road. The level 3 rock outside the startzone seems like the safest place on the map.
From my experience the relative flatness has not been too big of an issue, at least on the edges. A figure with 4 move can access level 3 on turn one, but I get what you're saying. having relative height is important so I may try to play a bit more with that. Thanks for the feedback!
Old October 2nd, 2022, 09:12 AM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
BLOOD STAR

It's kind of amazing how different this map feels from Stygian Rift despite using the exact same sets. Stygian Rift is very much a map defined by the shadow in the middle. By removing the shadow pool in the middle, and having more easily defensible glyphs, this map pushes much out to the sides. The flatland area in front of the start zone is also pretty interesting. Again, it encourages you to go to the sides, because you can more quickly get to and hold height on the sides. The game I played on this was Chasers vs. Harqs. The Harqs mostly chilled in their startzone, but the Chasers had some interesting development decisions to get across the map as fast as they could. I like the map, need more games to have a fully fleshed out opinion, but I always admire maps that feel unique.
Vegie, I've tweaked Blood Star in response to your feedback, so the map doesn't pull quite as strongly to the sides, and lateral movement across it is faster/safer.

Thanks for the comments.
Old October 16th, 2022, 01:08 AM
This is merely a joke.

superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth superfrog is a man of the cloth

A couple of my newer maps got played today (Blackberry in MD, Throughline in Peoria). Any thoughts from anybody who played them?
Old October 16th, 2022, 12:11 PM

I played a game on Throughline. It felt like a hybrid of Song of the Walrus and Blackroot. Walrusy big dividers splitting the map into three sections, hilly road in the middle like Blackroot. It executes the hill much better than Blackroot, but something felt a little off about the pathing in the middle. The very center hex of the board can entirely block the road, but everywhere else the road has some alternate paths around. It didn't cause any issues in the game I played, which was a fun game, so maybe I'm being too harsh on that aspect.

I also played on Stechevan, which I gave unplaytested feedback on earlier. Some of that feedback was incorporated and the lava is better now. But I still feel like the way the lava is set up it's more avoided than it is a meaningful decision piece. Too dangerous to take lava with little reward.

I also played on Grendel (modified) which I didn't like. The map is huge and hilly. Double jungle sets help but controlling the hill can win the game. The swamp water outside the startzone was problematic in a range vs. melee match that I saw. Can be used to force long paths or relative height attacks.

My last game was on Stoker. I liked it. I was playing against Microcorp who make maps weird because they emphasize height so much, so my Raelin sat on the 1-hex level 4 lava and held out for a long time. That's fine though, not a problem with the board. I like the startzone Marvel ruins, liked the visuals of the board. One of the more complete feeling Marvel boards I've played on.
Old October 16th, 2022, 01:32 PM
The Silent Cartographer

GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness GameBear wears ripped pants of awesomeness

@Vegie thank you for taking the time to write up your thoughts on all these maps. Much appreciated. (I'm also happy to hear you liked Stoker.)

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios