Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Notices

Old December 12th, 2018, 05:06 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: LC's Customs- Arrr... thar be Pirates here! 12/06/18

I've got to throw my hat in with those that don't like the theme of Water Sneak or Sea Legs. Many pirates and sailors of that period didn't even know how to swim. They sailed on the sea, but they would typically have avoided getting *in* the sea. I think the sea element of pirates is very hard to capture on a Heroscape card, and probably not worth the trouble.

It seems that what is appealing about pirates is some combination of the following:
* independence from authority
* free spirit
* ignoring the rules
* unconventional
* cutthroat nature
* fighting
* getting rich off of treasure

etc. Trying to tie them to the water doesn't make sense. Think of Treasure Island, for instance--most of the most interesting parts of the book happen on the *island*. I would argue that much of the exciting action in the Pirates of the Caribbean likewise happens either *on* the ship or on land somewhere.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Last edited by caps; December 12th, 2018 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Here, have *four* cents
Old December 12th, 2018, 05:40 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Agree with Cap's post. It wouldn't bother me if a pirate card or two had a water themed power, since they do come from the sea, but not every pirate card should feel like they need to have a water based power. I mean, Viking raiders also came from the sea (or down the river in Eastern Europe) but we don't feel the need to make all water focused Viking cards. I would actually fear an over reliance on water tiles would make the cards unplayable when water isn't prominently featured on a map.
Old December 12th, 2018, 05:44 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
I've got to throw my hat in with those that don't like the theme of Water Sneak or Sea Legs. Many pirates and sailors of that period didn't even know how to swim. They sailed on the sea, but they would typically have avoided getting *in* the sea. I think the sea element of pirates is very hard to capture on a Heroscape card, and probably not worth the trouble.

It seems that what is appealing about pirates is some combination of the following:
* independence from authority
* free spirit
* ignoring the rules
* unconventional
* cutthroat nature
* fighting
* getting rich off of treasure

etc. Trying to tie them to the water doesn't make sense. Think of Treasure Island, for instance--most of the most interesting parts of the book happen on the *island*. I would argue that much of the exciting action in the Pirates of the Caribbean likewise happens either *on* the ship or on land somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Agree with Cap's post. It wouldn't bother me if a pirate card or two had a water themed power, since they do come from the sea, but not every pirate card should feel like they need to have a water based power. I mean, Viking raiders also came from the sea (or down the river in Eastern Europe) but we don't feel the need to make all water focused Viking cards. I would actually fear an over reliance on water tiles would make the cards unplayable when water isn't prominently featured on a map.

Wow, thank you for the input!
I cannot argue with your points (and don't even want to)

It really isn't even necessary to have some common ability among them. My thought was that it would be something that would set them apart from "just another fighter" units and have the flavor of pirates. The synergy between Calico Jack and his crew is an example of this- their cutthroat gang-up ambush and out-number tactics.

The "independence from authority" @capsocrates mentioned above is intriguing to me. You have given me something to think about and I greatly appreciate that!
Old December 12th, 2018, 06:49 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

I also agree with the points caps make on the pirates. That is why I really liked your water abilities.....for some customs involving frog men.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old December 12th, 2018, 07:00 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
Great example! The vikings were very nautical but none of their powers in Heroscape reference water at all.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old December 13th, 2018, 10:44 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

OK, will scrap the water ability idea; at least for these guys. I had a brilliant idea and think the water ability would work really well on something like a squad of frogmen or something ( @TREX )

I had toyed around with the whole independent from authority/mercenary quality of the pirates. I had thought about an ability that would allow them to benefit from any enhancement or aura that was General specific (you know, feign allegiance to whomever as long as it benefits me). However, there aren't really that many abilities that would make it worthwhile (that search is what lead me to create the Copy and Paste Abilities Index).

I figured I would move on to try something about treasure and pirate loot.
I came up with a roughed in ability as follows:
Quote:
LOOT
>< may add 1 to his movement of he will end his move on an unoccupied glyph. >< may add 1 to his attack if attacking a figure occupying a glyph or a figure with a glyph on its card. If >< destroys a figure occupying a glyph, you may immediately place >< on that glyph. If <> destroys a figure with a glyph on its card, you may place that glyph on this card. >< adds 1 to his defense when occupying a glyph
However, that doesn't take into consideration Treasure Glyphs. So,I thought about something like this...
Quote:
LOOT
>< may add 1 to his movement of he will end his move adjacent to a figure with a Treasure Glyph on its card. >< may add 1 to his attack if attacking a figure with a glyph on its card. If <> destroys a figure with a glyph on its card, you may place that glyph on this card.
Neither of those is very elegant however.

Anyhow, I am probably leaning toward scrapping the "common ability" idea for the pirates and simply letting the rest of the abilities and stats prop up the theme.
Old December 14th, 2018, 09:33 AM

Okay, one last try before I call it quits on a truly pirate-y ability.

The squaddies...

and their captain...

So, any thoughts?
Old December 14th, 2018, 11:31 AM
Just A Head

MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun

I do like these powers, so no need to ditch them on these cards. But like you said, it might make sense to just have each pirate have their own unique gimmick than trying to give them all a solid through-line. Pirates are a rag-tag set of scoundrels anyways, it would be cool if they could all do different stuff.
Old December 14th, 2018, 04:06 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

LOOTing is fun! I would remove the "Calico Jack cannot have more than 1 treasure glyph on this card" though, and maybe change "... 1 to his defense if there is at least one treasure glyph...." plus I don't like the name PREMIUM LOOT, maybe UNIQUE LOOT or HERO LOOT.

Also, did you mean for CAPTAIN JACK to bond with another unique pirate hero? If so, maybe have "pirate or rogue hero" so DARRAK AMBERSHARD, Elaria the Pale, Cormin the Dark , Loksley, Nottingham Brigand, Millerson any any other C3V/SoV rogue hero can take a turn too.
Old December 14th, 2018, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrNobody View Post
I do like these powers, so no need to ditch them on these cards. But like you said, it might make sense to just have each pirate have their own unique gimmick than trying to give them all a solid through-line. Pirates are a rag-tag set of scoundrels anyways, it would be cool if they could all do different stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
LOOTing is fun! I would remove the "Calico Jack cannot have more than 1 treasure glyph on this card" though, and maybe change "... 1 to his defense if there is at least one treasure glyph...." plus I don't like the name PREMIUM LOOT, maybe UNIQUE LOOT or HERO LOOT.

Also, did you mean for CAPTAIN JACK to bond with another unique pirate hero? If so, maybe have "pirate or rogue hero" so DARRAK AMBERSHARD, Elaria the Pale, Cormin the Dark , Loksley, Nottingham Brigand, Millerson any any other C3V/SoV rogue hero can take a turn too.
Thanks for the input @MrNobody and @lefton4ya !
I like Unique Loot for a name.

Also, I will definitely change Jack's to Pirate or Rogue hero. That is a great idea!

For some reason I was thinking that you couldn't have more than one treasure glyph on a card- thanks for setting me straight on that.
Old December 17th, 2018, 02:13 PM

OK, I have made some changes to the pirates. Hopefully they are near the end of their creative journey.

I like the simplicity of the Privateers. I feel they fulfill the theme of being Privateers without being bells-and-whistles-y.
Old December 17th, 2018, 03:04 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

Nice changes and new customs! Will have to get some pirate figures for these and upcoming C3V units. I also thought of new power name instead of LOOT though:

PLUNDER BOOTY!

Last edited by lefton4ya; December 17th, 2018 at 03:06 PM. Reason: 1/2 J/K - although it would be fun to have BOOTY on a card!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards