Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Old August 14th, 2014, 03:26 PM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth
vegie's Gencon/Scapecon reports

This now contains my Gencon/Onlinecon/Scapecon reports from every year I've participated. There's always Championship reports and sometimes reports from other events.

2012 reports

Spoiler Alert!

2013 reports

Spoiler Alert!

2014 reports

Spoiler Alert!

2015 reports

Spoiler Alert!

2016 reports

Spoiler Alert!

2017 Reports
Spoiler Alert!

2018 Reports
Spoiler Alert!

2019 Reports
Spoiler Alert!

2020 Reports
Spoiler Alert!

2021 Reports

Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by vegietarian18; August 16th, 2023 at 09:04 AM.
Old August 17th, 2014, 07:44 PM

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth
Report archive

I decided to add NHSD battle reports to this thread.

2011 reports
Spoiler Alert!

2012 reports
Spoiler Alert!

2013 reports
Spoiler Alert!

2014 reports
Spoiler Alert!

2015 reports
Spoiler Alert!

2016 reports
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by vegietarian18; July 8th, 2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old August 18th, 2014, 12:04 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth
Re: GenCon 2014 Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegietarian18 View Post
Game 1 vs. Xorlof (Tor-Kul-Na, Nagrubs x4, Raelin) on Fossil

This board is so good for Arrow Gruts. The height tiles right outside the startzone near the hive/big tree can be covered by Raelin’s aura without the kyrie moving, and from those spaces the Arrows can shoot clear across the center of the board.
Yep, this is the best map for AGs in the pool by far. In the main event in 2012, when I ran a similar army (just Krug and Nerak instead of Mimring) I was able to beat Cleon's stingers x5 + Q10 on Fossil. I don't think I could have won that game on any other map.

Of course that's my one time missing day 2 (but only because Mantrainchoochoo is a cheater ) but in general the AG metagame has improved a little bit, since the figure limit doesn't hurt them. I liked your army; it would have been a fun third place game. Eltahale would have been tough though - as you say, not a lot of hero-killing in that army.

Quote:
Game 4 vs. dok on Stygian Rift

At this point, I knew my Orcs were really strong, so the championship was a coinflip. dok won it. I didn’t like the Knights on Stygian Rift, so I decided to take his Braxas, Greenscales x3, Isamu army in hopes that I would get lucky, gas Raelin and a lot of Chasers, and win where I shouldn’t have. dok placed Raelin very far back, so I probably was overextending when I went for her. My acid failed, but Braxas did get kill two Deathchasers and her Greesncales became physical barrier from a Deathchaser attack and killed another. Still, Braxas took two wounds from two Deathchaser attacks, which was low, so I had to disengage and fly her to the middle of the board height. She got their safely and gassed another two Orcs. She got surrounded though, and her Greenscales were too far behind to help her. She got one more turn and killed two or three more Orcs (I’m sure dok has the exact Acid Breath stats somewhere), but died. I kept playing with my Greenscales for a while, but both of us knew the game was kind of over. I got some crazy kills and crazy blocks with the Greenscales though, dok took a lot of lava damage with Nerak and Me-Burq-Sa, and suddenly I had an Isamu staring down an actually manageable task. Nerak died to another lava hit, and Isamu rolled out. He Phantom Walked to the twice wounded Raelin and killed her in two hits, then went over to the once wounded Me-Burq-Sa on lava. He failed the first attack, but the second got one wound, and at the end of the round, Me-Burq-Sa took the lava hit that ended the game. Isamu Vanished a total of 5 times to steal the tournament win. I 100% made a late game mistake; Isamu could have Phantom Walked through Me-Burq-Sa on to the Unique Attack glyph for 1 more attack die, but I just missed it. I’m interested to read dok’s side of the report and find out why he left MBS on the lava for such a long time instead of retreating to the flat ground startzone.
I'm still working on my summaries, but to answer the question briefly, I didn't have an easy way to get him around to the startzone without putting him next to low ground for a turn, and potentially allowing him to get engaged there. Also, I did like shooting down to minimize whiff chances. And once Raelin died I was engaged on my turns. I should have moved him away from the U-attack glyph, but that didn't hurt me anyway.

I disagree that the game was a coinflip on the dice-off; obviously Braxas had a chance there. I thought you should have slow rolled a lot more in early game (do you remember what the other glyph was? I never wrote it down) but aside from that you played it well.

Crazy finish to that game. Definitely my most brutal loss of the weekend, by far. What a way to lose my dice streak and my undefeated Friday night streak (12-0 in the night events up to that point).
Old August 18th, 2014, 04:17 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

Great battle reports, vegie!
@vegietarian18 : Why not a report of the VC event? I'd like to read that as well.
Old August 20th, 2014, 11:29 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Vegie, you should start your own Battle Reports thread, if you haven't already.

Here's the beginning of my report, copied from my own thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
GenCon 2014

Lightweight: 300 points, 12 figures

I considered a less competitive build that I thought would be fun, and people would remember it: Stingers x2, Taelord. I figured it would respond well to the heroes I thought would dominate this format, though I recognized it was not particularly likely to do well overall. In the end, I went back to one of my favorite squads, the Phantom Knights. I figured their main foes - 10th Reg.; swarming melee - were both discouraged by the format, so I'd give it a shot. Expectations were, however, low. I thought KidScaper's Hydra + Stingers x3 was far more likely to succeed.

Round 1:
DS - Phantom Knights x4
Josh - Raelin, Krav, Erevan Sunshadow

Stygian Rift

Josh was a new player, he said his first game had only been the day before, but he played well. It's just that, unfortunately for him, my army matched up very well against him. I seized the high ground easily enough with my mobility, and could, from there, send down units as needed to reinforce the PKs I had flying around his start zone, killing his stuff. This was to become a theme. . .

1-0

Round 2:
DS - PK's x4 @happyjosiah - Krug, Stingers x3

Ticalla Sunrise

It turned out that KidScaper was not the only player to bring Stingers x3 + (120 point hero). I wasn't too worried about HJ's Stingers, but I thought my low attack might not be enough to bring down Krug before he'd done a *lot* of damage.

I lost quite a few Phantom Knights early in the game, when their 4 defense dice, sometimes 5 with jungle or height, failed. Eventually, the dice balanced out and the Stingers went down. Eventually I caught Krug from height and killed him on an OM flip between rounds.

It was great to meet Happy Josiah, an old timer around these parts, but of course it was good to meet everyone.

2-0

Round 3:
DS - PK's x4 @Junior - 4th Mass. x3, Sam Brown

Stygian Rift

My notes from this game are as follows: "Junior played well. Terrible matchup for him." Which is the truth. With my high defense, and a map allowing me to dominate the center, and his opening position forcing him to move, conceding WTF, or stay still, and concede any valuable real estate, it was not a good situation for him.

3-0

DS - PK's x4
Bob - Krav, Kaemon Awa, Rats x2

Vestige

The rats made me nervous. With their high defense and Scatter and 4 attacks/OM, I was worried that I might not be able to take them down. Plus there was a Unique Attack +1 glyph in play, which I had to deny Kaemon Awa and the Krav.

Bob, @Cleon 's dad, won initiative in Round 1 and fanned out with the rats, one of which headed to the Unique Attack glyph. He grabbed it on OM 2, but I landed 2 PK's next to it on the following OM, walling it off from the rest of the map. I killed the rat and secured the glyph from other rats scattering onto it, until much later in the game.

The first round was rats; the second was the Krav. I managed to get rid of them by the end of Round 2, and I got lucky with a few attack rolls and managed to kill off a few rats, too. In Round 3 Kaemon Awa emerged, but he rolled poorly on defense and I was spared Counterstrike death even on my bad attacks. Bob conceded once KA was out; his few remaining Deathreavers were badly outnumbered by my remaining Phantom Knights.

4-0

Championship Round:
DS - Phantom Knights x4
@UnseenShadowz - Phantom Knights x3, Heirloom

Vestige

There were virtually no attacks from height for almost the entire game. It was just 3 vs. 4, over and over, for most of the game. Luckily, before the first time I ever brought the PK's to a tournament, when they were new (2009?), I thought everyone would be bringing them. So I put little pink stickers on their bases.

Anyway, as anyone with a single gray hair knows, you cannot beat a person younger than yourself in a competition to roll the highest dice. I would have liked to see US make a mistake or do something foolish, but he is a sensible person and declined to do so. KidScaper explained to me afterward ways in which I could have approached the endgame differently, and who knows, maybe I could have been smarter. But the difference was not Heirloom, who didn't do much besides absorb occasional attacks; it was pretty much the dice.

4-1
Second Place

I got a nifty Agent Skahen, though. Awesome!

More to come later.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 1st, 2015, 01:44 PM

Since the GenCon report idea didn't really take off this year, I'm cannibalizing this thread for my future GenCon reports. It's just for the main event this year.

In the Main Event, I tend to gravitate towards armies that have un(der)used figures. I think it gives an advantage on both days, since the opponent will not know how to play with and against unseen figures. Last year, I used Mimring, and this year I used Taelord.

Taelord
Raelin
Marro Warriors
10th Regiment x2

Along with the obligatory Raelin to add consistency to the army, I played two squads of Redcoats and the Marro Warriors. The general idea of the army was to fish opponents in with the Marro Warriors, and then blast with pumped up Wait Then Fire shots. Using Marro Warriors to fish in figures to Wait Then Fire range was very effective in the Betrayal From Within tournament that @kevindola ran online. Adding Taelord was inspired by the army that @The Orange Mailman won with in 2013, where he used Marcus for his attack boost on two squads of Redcoats. I liked the extra 3 spaces of aura to make the fourth Redcoat attack die all but guaranteed. The army worked for a couple of other reasons: the four different people who practiced against the army lost against it the first time; it can make opponents uncomfortable with the amount of dice it dishes out from a long range; people don’t know how to play against two cheerleaders; it’s fragile enough to tear apart on Day 2.

Game 1 vs. Rollitontop (Warforged x4, Raelin, Deadeye Dan) on Fossil

I opened with the Marro Warriors to try to thin out Warforged and put pressure on the figures he put on Wannok. He responded with a conservative Raelin placement, behind the evergreen tree on level 3. She covered a lot of spaces, but not spaces he could attack me from. I picked at the edges of his army, tanking the Wannok wounds with the twin kyries. Eventually, he was forced to go in to a hoard of bayonets, and attacks of 5 tore apart the Warforged. Deadeye Dan had some good moves, but the Redcoats Wait Then Fired him down. My opponent really suffered from not having any range that he could threaten me with.

1-0

Game 2 vs. Heirloom (Greenscales x3, Charos, Marro Warriors, Marcu) on Remains of Clionesia

He used Charos very aggressively, going straight for my Raelin. A second round full of Wait Then Fire volleys took out the dragon before he managed to bring down the kyrie. After that, the Greenscales struggled to get rid of any Redcoats or Marros with 2v6 attacks. His Marros were difficult, but eventually I managed to run them down. I retreated my army to my startzone, let Marcu pick up all the treasure glyphs, then blew him up with Wait Then Fire when he went in. I think a Marro Warrior opener would have made this matchup a lot closer than it ended up being, but a lot of people prefer them as cleanup.

2-0

Game 3 vs. Cleon (Braxas, Fen Hydra, Marro Warriors, Deathreavers x2) on Fossil

This was one of the stronger armies in the pool, and a good one against my army. Cleon opened with Rats. I had never tested against a Rat army, since I thought most people considered them taboo to play. I don’t think I’ve played against Rats in a few years honestly. They were extremely hard to deal with, shutting down the Marros completely, and the glyphs (Unique Attack and Lodin) were great for his army. Braxas swooped down on my tied down Marro and gassed the remainder, but they managed two wounds on her. A lucky OM3 on the Redcoats after Cleon failed 2/3 acids allowed me to blast Braxas with Taelord boosted Wait Then Fire for 6 wounds, and an exact kill. I was feeling like I had a chance then, but his Marros repeatedly were able to pick at my Reds and successfully switch the initiative and escape to clone. The Hydra never even took a wound before he finished eating through the remaining Redcoats and their cheerleaders.

2-1

Game 4 vs. Dad_Scaper (Deathchasers x4, Ogre Warhulk, Brandis Skyhunter) on Dance of the Dryads

After the Orcs came rushing across the smallest map in the pool, I was pretty worried that I would lose my Marro Warriors before the end of round one. My OM3 on the Redcoats turned out to be poorly placed when he instead led with Brandis Skyhunter. Brandis was able to step up on to height and drop 5/6 skulls to instantly slay Raelin. I tried to stay confident and just Wait Then Fire down the incoming orcs, and for the most part it worked. 5 attack dice on 2 defense dice is a pretty favorable attack. The Warhulk made some noise but I eventually silenced him with Wait Then Fire. I was fortunate that my cheerleaders were able to block the path into the startzone to draw fire away from my Redcoats, as losing activations could have cost me the match.

3-1

Game 5 vs. ManTrainChooChoo (Tagawa Samurai Archers x3, Raelin, Marro Warriors, Torin) on Sidewinder

This game I played much more aggressively than I did the rest. After I won initiative and saw a round full of markers on the Tagawa Samurai Archers, I left my auras behind and decided to aggressively gun for the Samurai, since they would struggle to hit back with only 2 attack. Thanks to some incredible skulls the plan worked incredibly well. I gunned through all but one of the Tagawa only losing a single Marro, and then I retreated back to my startzone. He moved up Torin, but after he moved up Raelin next to him, I just refused to shoot and waited for him to come to me. He brought up his Marros and had a lot of success, but Wait Then Fire brought them down. He had been a little frustrated all game at my refusal to leave my start zone or to shoot at his Torin, so he conceded with Raelin, Torin and a Tagawa still left. It definitely was tough to win from there, but I felt bad that my choices frustrated him to that extent. I think he was just upset since he was so close to Day 2, but luckily his SoS got him in anyway.

Thoughts after Day 1: I think my army was what I intended it to be. It’s a difficult to play against, slow, anti-melee army that can throw a ton of dice. 4-1 actually seemed a little out of reach to me when I was thinking through matchups, but I’m happy I was able to do it. I don’t know how well I am going to do tomorrow, since there are quite a few melee armies in the pool and those are very bad matchups for this army. But no matter how I do I’m happy I was able to get Taelord to Day 2.

Day 2

Game 1 vs. BigBoa (Deathchasers x4, Raelin, Nerak, Brunak) on Fossil

I drew one of the best boards in the pool for my Redcoat army, especially against melee, so I was kind of worried. I opened with Brunak, carrying Raelin to an aggressive perch that covered the middle of the board. Once I saw his order markers split between Redcoats and cheerleaders, I decided to hard engage on the 10th. I had great dice and slammed through two on the first turn of the engage, and then brought Nerak up and killed three more on the following turn. Just like that, his army was running out of steam. Since I was basically on top of him, it was relatively easy to catch the the Marros and shut down his comeback mechanism. I ground out the rest of his army with the orcs, never activating the Brunak and Raelin combo. I think this game showcased the biggest advantage of my army; the awkwardness of picking it up without knowing how to play it. Opening with Marro Warriors would have both thinned my army more effectively and left him with better tools to deal with the weakened orcs.

on to Round of 8

Game 2 vs dok (Tor-Kul-Na, Nagrubs x3, Me-Burq-Sa, Marcu) on Fossil

Well, I drew the worst board in the pool again. This time I was handed a weaker, still melee army, and I was playing against a pretty decent player. It was going to be a tough game to win. I opened with Raelin flying to a more conservative perch than in the previous game, but she could still help the double-spaced TKN where he was planning to go. I rolled the Marros up the hill and waited for a good chance to strike. I couldn’t manage to lose initiative early, so I had to go in and give him the initiative switch. Luckily my defense held out fairly well, and I was able to smash through the Redcoats and keep TKN alive. The game ended up hanging in initiative. If I win, I can trample up to 3 Marros and crush his chances to come back. If he wins, he’s able to mow through grubs, cut TKN’s healing off, and take control of the game. He got it, gunned through Nagrubs and denied the big trample, and TKN fell shortly after. MBS tried to make a game of it, but it was basically impossible with dok’s liberal use of water clone. He did a good job of making sure I had no way back into the game once he killed the Hivelord. I’m not sure if I would have done much differently though. It was a very tough matchup, definitely less than 50% to win on paper, so getting the game to the initiative coin toss was actually an accomplishment I think.

eliminated

I think overall my army was a good choice for the event. The abundance of melee armies in the field this year helped me on day 1, but hurt on day 2. I can’t be too disappointed in my losses, as they were both to good players with favorable matchups. I really like the Reverse the Whip two day format for GenCon and I hope to see it continue in the future.

Last edited by vegietarian18; August 1st, 2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old August 2nd, 2015, 11:50 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Game 4 vs. Dad_Scaper (Deathchasers x4, Ogre Warhulk, Brandis Skyhunter) on Dance of the Dryads

After the Orcs came rushing across the smallest map in the pool, I was pretty worried that I would lose my Marro Warriors before the end of round one. My OM3 on the Redcoats turned out to be poorly placed when he instead led with Brandis Skyhunter. Brandis was able to step up on to height and drop 5/6 skulls to instantly slay Raelin. I tried to stay confident and just Wait Then Fire down the incoming orcs, and for the most part it worked. 5 attack dice on 2 defense dice is a pretty favorable attack. The Warhulk made some noise but I eventually silenced him with Wait Then Fire. I was fortunate that my cheerleaders were able to block the path into the startzone to draw fire away from my Redcoats, as losing activations could have cost me the match.

3-1
I was lucky to get it as close as I did. You did a good job of denying Brandis any good perches during Round 1, and (as you know) his one-shot on Raelin was a super-long shot. Though, come to think of it, he should have attacked again. Oops! Wouldn't have made a difference, I'm sure. The pathing into your start zone was super-favorable to your WTF army. I just couldn't get in, with all the molten lava.

It was a fun game. I would have done better, if only you hadn't played so well.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old August 4th, 2015, 09:01 AM
GenCon 2013 Main Event Champion

The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker The Orange Mailman knows what's in an order marker
Re: vegie's GenCon reports

Quote:
Quote:
Adding Taelord was inspired by the army that @The Orange Mailman won with in 2013, where he used Marcus for his attack boost on two squads of Redcoats
I toyed with the idea of Death Knights, Taelord, and the 10th. You wouldn't be able to have Raelin though. Here we play 600 point armies and for a while I had this in the mix:

Taelord
Death Knights x 3
Sir Hawthorne
10th Regiment x 2

The army did fairly well but it seemed that Sir Hawthorne never pulled his weight.

Have fun and stay busy - Luke 19:13

The Orange Mailman
Old August 7th, 2016, 01:24 AM

These are my 2016 reports. Again just the Main Event. I play in a lot of other events, but I just don’t think they are as interesting to write or read about. The Main Event promotes lots of armies that people think they can play better than others, so the games tend to be unique and I like to have a record of them somewhere.

In past years, I’ve liked to bring single underused figures and put them in strong builds to pull them to Day 2. It works, but often people can just ignore the twist you put on your army and just beat you with Redcoats . So this year, I decided to cut the range common squads, and go a different route.

I went with Elves, after having a lot of success with them in the Classic League: Unsung Heroes event. The build I ended up taking to GenCon was the exact same build I took to that event, with Raelin and Otonashi added to reach the massive point total. I really liked the army and was settled on it for a while. It has a lot going on, it has a decent offense and defense, a lot of range, and a lot of variables. The only thing I really debated was Morsbane. I didn't really consider 2x Ashra, but Acolarh and Emiroon both felt viable for different reasons. The exact build I ran was:

Raelin
Ulginesh
Jorhdawn
Chardris
Arkmer
Kyntela
Morsbane
Otonashi

Game 1 vs. Weesel99 on Fire Isles (Mezzodemons x6, Raelin, Kaemon Awa)

This was a pretty horrible matchup for the Mezzos. No commons, two special attacks, one of which can hit multiple figures. I opened the game with a Raelin negation, just to make things worse. I blew up 10 Mezzos with various flaming Specials, and he got rid of Arkmer and wounded Jorhdawn and Chardris. He left his last two Mezzos hiding, and then sent in Kaemon, who ripped through Jorhdawn and Morsbane before he died. Suddenly we had to play another game. The Mezzos, now with strong Exoskeletons, slowly grinded wounds onto the Wizards. Then, he flew Raelin in, pinned down Ulginesh, and I was looking like I was going to lose. But I realized that his last two Raelin moves had been illegal; she couldn't fly. Weesel conceded inmediately. It did really did change the context of the game massively, since Ulginesh can kite Raelin around for a while but not if she can fly. Still, it was far from an ideal answer and I felt bad taking the win in such a close game. Luckily, Weesel still made Day 2 at 3-2.

Game 2 vs. ??? on Flash Fire (Ulginesh, Jorhdawn, Chardris, Arkmer, Morsbane, Emiroon)

The first Elf Wizard mirror in Main Event history. I liked my chances, since Raelin is good. Still, a lot of it would hinge on what the Morsbanes did. There was a ton of juicy negation targets on both sides, topped off with Ulginesh. With this in mind, I aggressively used my Morsbane to go after his. I failed my first negation, and seeing what I was doing, he tried to do the same thing. He also failed his first, and I responded with a successful second negation. From there, I retreated into my shell and just Rained Flames on his Emiroon summons. He was forced to cluster where I was able to spread my figures and leave gaps to deny the area of effect damage. I won with only Morsbane going down.

2-0

Game 3 vs. MrWookie on Vestige (Capuans x4, Spartacus, Crixus, Guilty)

Vestige is the best board in the pool for my army, since Jorhdawn can very safely Rain of Flame the enemy startzone on turn 1. I did just that this game, and his Guilty opener fared very poorly against that. I flamed four or five Capuans on the first round, and blew up Guilty with Chardris and Arkmer. He then began the Steamrolling, and things progressively got scarier as the match went on. I exclusively targeted the Capuans, just trying to limit his attacks per turn, but that let Crixus pound Morsbane turn after turn. Morsbane did eventually negate him, but not before Crixus went down. I finished off the Capuans, but had lost Chardris and Morsbane and taken a few wounds on Ulginesh. Crixus got rid of Kyntela before his defense went cold, leaving Arkmer and Jorhdawn to finish Spartacus. Jorhdawn screened for Arkmer while he rained down height dice on Spartacus until he went down.

3-0

Game 4 vs. Dysole on Flash Fire (Deathstalkers x4, Raelin, Krav, Marcu)

I talked to Dysole after Game 1, where she shredded an elf pod with the Krav, about the weakness of the Wizards to Stealth Dodge. It’s so hard for them to break formation to chase down the Krav (even more than the average pod army), since they lose dice, auras, and even the ability to take turns. The only real way to win is to negate the Krav, but even that usually requires some risky positioning for Morsbane. I was chalking this matchup up as a loss when I saw we were paired.

I climbed to the hill directly outside my startzone and podded hard after I saw the round of order markers on Deathstalkers. I got off a nice Rain of Flame that killed two Stalkers and got a wound on Raelin. The Stalkers went down relatively fast, since they had to leave Raelin’s aura to attack. Dysole put a lot of focus onto Morsbane, trying to deny the Krav negation possibility, but didn’t manage to bring him down. I cleared out about half the Stalkers before the Krav came out. I had a ton of trouble with them, failing a ton of ranged attacks before eventually giving up and sending in Arkmer on an initiative switch, who also failed to do damage. Then I just sent in Jorhdawn and Chardris all at once, and finally got into them. I had to move up Ulginesh and Raelin after that, but there were still three Stalkers and Raelin left to kill. The last two Stalkers blocked a ton of attacks, and landed two Mauls on Ulginesh and Raelin, but they did not have the damage to finish off either, and when the game ended on time, I got the win, with a 3 wound Ulginesh and 3 wound Raelin left against a full life Raelin and one Stalker. I think that’sabout as close as you can get to a 50/50 endgame, but it probably slightly favored Dysole.

4-0

Game 5 vs. Rÿchean on Flash Fire (Tarn Viking Warriors, Marro Warriors, Krav Maga Agents, Nakita Agents, Kaemon Awa, Sonlen)

This ended my four year streak of playing in the 3-1 game at GenCon. That’s one of my favorite parts of GenCon, since it has interesting armies, players who have gotten familiar with them over the course of the day, and a motivation for everyone to win. It was kind of a weird game, since we were the only two undefeated players playing each other. We actually debated taking the tie/forfeiting, since the change to a seeded Day 2 slightly punishes the top seed with a 3-2 opponent. We ended up deciding to play the game out, since it really didn’t matter with matchup roulette going on anyway.

He led with Tarn, and I was able to blow them up pretty quickly. The Nakitas had the same fate. Kaemon however, hit Chardris for five wounds and Jorhdawn for two. The Krav and the Marros picked off Arkmer and Chardris from safety, and I started to get worried. With how Dysole’s Krav shredded me in mind, I played much more aggressively against these Krav. It worked really poorly. I took way too many wounds with Morsbane and Jorhdawn taking down a single Krav. I just ran out of ways to kill things, and Sonlen is really able to punish that. He never went above two wounds and he healed, swooped, and shot through the remainder of my army.

4-1

Thoughts after Day 1: I think I actually managed to successfully land in the bottom half of armies that made Day 2 this year, which is a lot harder to do than you’d think. I’m hoping people make mistakes with Elves, especially in early deployment, since it’s very difficult to just pick them up and play. I’m not a huge fan of my first round matchup with Cleon’s MacDirks though. Rain of Flame in particular seems like it could be really devastating on a lot of the boards in the pool. I’m also not sure how to play four squads of MacDirks, since losing Alastair is just game over with that many Scots in play. Even if I do lose Round 1, I’m happy to take the Elves to Day 2. They are really fun and a lot more viable than people think, and I think I showed that today.

Day 2 Game 1 vs. Cleon on Vestige (MacDirk Warriors x4, Raelin, Alistair, Thorgrim)

This was one of the matchups that I liked the least in the pool, except on a huge board like Wendigo. It’s way too easy to Rain of Flame a ton of MacDirks and knock out the hitting power of the army. With that in mind, I was very careful to avoid clumping my figures as I slow rolled up MacDirks and wounded Alistair with overextend. Raelin was very far back, and I planned to rush her in on an OM3 when I was ready, and then pile in MacDirks behind her. Unfortunately, Morsbane hit the negation on her, so that plan was dead. I immediately changed gameplan, and ran in MacDirk after MacDirk. I had a lot of trouble actually finishing off the Elves. Morsbane hung on to his final life for four attacks of 6v4, really slowing down my rush. That gave him time for another negation on Thorgrim, which was a big deal later. Jorhdawn took four wounds, but successfully retreated to the startzone. Arkmer hit 3/4 engagement strikes to really limit my activations. Eventually, I was able to hit down Jorhdawn after baiting her into a Rain of Flame out of safe range. Chardris went down to the last MacDirks, leaving Arkmer, Kyntela, Raelin, and Ulginesh, with a wound on all four figures, against my negated Raelin and my Alistair. Raelin got the last wound on Kyntela before I switched over to Alistair, grabbed the healing glyph, and went in for the final try. I overextended towards Ulginesh, hoping to knock off order markers, but only got rid of one. Raelin got him to three wounds at the end of the round, and he did the same to her. The game was hung in initiative, with an Alistair overextend threatening to knock order markers off of either Arkmer or Raelin, or a Raelin hit wounding MacDirk to a point where he couldn’t overextend. Cleon got it, and got two wounds on Alistair, preventing Overextend entirely. Arkmer finished him off on the next turn.

eliminated

I’m sad I didn’t have another chance to prove I could beat the overpowered Elf Wizard army I brought, but it was a really fun, interesting, and close game that I got to play. I think I was pretty close to nailing the power level I wanted to be at, but winning games against your army still has to happen. There was a lot of variety on Day 2 this year. The weakness creep for Reverse the Whip has started.
Old August 7th, 2016, 03:16 AM
Sir Formerly Known As adoney

Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth Sir Heroscape is a man of the cloth

What a fun report to read...Thank you! Since I was not able to attend this year...I'm looking forward to reading all the battle reports on everyone's GenCon trip.

Sir Heroscape's Content
Customs, Maps, Battle Reports
YouTube Channel, Trade List,
'Scaper of the Month, Burnout Format
Tourney Record: 309 - 141
Online Record: 19 - 22
Old August 7th, 2016, 05:28 PM
13 Time OHS Champion

kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth kevindola is a man of the cloth

Thanks for posting these Vegie. Always a great read.

I am glad to see the elves do so well, and wow. A near mirror match? With elf wizards. That is pretty incredible.

What was the Morsbane negation counter for the tournament?

(re: Round 3)I assume Mr. Wookie kept Spartacus safe from Mr. Negation until Crixus could finish the job. Crixus losing his one shield defense isn't spectacularly bad actually. But Spartacus getting negged would be pretty problematic. Do you think the Steamroller would have been able to win the game full force if Guilty hadn't been utilized first round?

(re: Round 4) Flash Fire seems like a pretty good map for the Krav in this matchup as well. Kravs are always a tough pickle to crack, but catching them with that elf wizard build is going to take some lucky whiffs or dangerous out of aura advancement. 7 move flying Ulginesh can catch them, but is likely going to get exposed. Also, deathstalkers can't Maul Ulginesh. Not sure if that was a typo or just phrasing there.

Looked fun and thanks again for the report! If you aren't going to post your other game reports would you mind posting your results?
Old August 7th, 2016, 06:15 PM

Morsbane negated Raelin, Morsbane, and Crixus on Day 1, and Raelin and Thorgrim on Day 2. That's five negations in six games, not too bad.

Spartacus did not come out until Crixus was completely dead. I did not ever move the pod so he wasn't too close to getting negated. I wasn't planning on negating Spartacus since I knew he would only come out when he was the last figure on the board. I think Steamroller almost certainly wins without Guilty opener. He could not fan the Gladiators to deny Rain of Flame, and Gladiator's defense was lowered by one.

I tried for whiffs on the Krav for a while, but it wasn't happening and I needed to bring them down. I forgot about Ulginesh being immune to Maul, it was what Dysole called "functional Maul", 3 skulls met with a whiff.

Other results:

Thursday Night Classic (Deathchasers x4, Raelin, MBS, Nerak, Spartacus)

Game 1 vs William099 (Badru x3, Werewolf Lord x2, Raelin)
Pouncing two defense figures is fun. Win
Game 2 vs. Capsocrates (Warriors of Ashra x5, Raelin, Moltenclaw, Syvarris)
I unlocked the rare achievement, "beat Warriors of Ashra after forgetting to Battle Rush". Win
Game 3 vs. infectedsloth (Blades x2, Nerak, Brunak, Raelin, Ornak, MBS, Marcu, Isamu)
Blades are a lot worse than I thought. Loss

2-1

Heat of Battle (10th x4, Raelin, Marcus, Marcu)

Game 1 vs. MrWookie (10th x4, Raelin, Fen Hydra)
Raelin backed Marcu was able to hold off Hydra from my last two Redcoats. Win
Game 2 vs. ??? (Blades and bonders)
WTF happened. Win
Game 3 vs. Major Q23 (Raelin, Marro Warriors, Rats x1, Kurrok, Fire Elementals x6)
Bunch of burnt british. Loss
Game 4 vs. nicktheant (Mezzodemons x6, Cyprien)
WTF happened. Win

3-1

General Wars (Redcoats x5, Zelrig, Marcus)

Game 1 vs. ??? (Stingers x?, Phantoms x?, Hydra, Feral Troll)
The fact that I don't know how many squads he had shows how good Zelrig was. Win
Game 2 vs. Turkeyclubsammich (Glads x3, Blasts x2, Braxas, Heirloom)
Reams of roasted robots. Win
Game 3 vs. Major Q23 (Mezzodemons x4, Phantoms x3, Fen Hydra)
Could not kill Mezzos fast enough after Phantoms swarmed Zelrig. Loss
Game 4 vs. Rollitontop (Redcoats x5, Zelrig, Marcus)
Someone had to win. Loss
Game 5 vs. KidScaper (Warforged x5, Krav, Black Wyrmling x2)
I got two skulls on Majestic Fires on seven Warforged. Win

3-2

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports