Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books
Books Not Heroscape-related.

Old August 4th, 2010, 09:40 AM

Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker
Re: Books: What are you currently reading?

I just got another boatload of Louis L'Amour this week from some relatives to borrow, so I'll start reading those soon.
Old August 4th, 2010, 12:28 PM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

Until I get to the library later in the week to hunt down DaddyScaper's recommendations, I'm rereading Mil Millington's Love and Other Near Death Experiences. Like most of his books the plot is weak but not the point. The writing is superb---sharp and funny, especially the dialogue. He's one of the authors that makes me actually giggle, so I have to be careful where I read it.

Edit. Two warnings if anyone was thinking of getting hold of it to read (which I recommend you do): it's very sweary and the American character gets to be the butt of a fair amount of over-the-top (but funny) anti-American stereotyping. If those don't bother you, you should pick it up; if only the second one does try his A Certain Chemistry instead.

Last edited by ollie; August 4th, 2010 at 12:50 PM.
Old August 5th, 2010, 12:57 AM
Fully Baked

krysto2002 knows what's in an order marker krysto2002 knows what's in an order marker

I just got a real slap to the head. After finishing the third book of the Inheritance Trilogy, which is Eragon, I find a small author's note stating that he decided to split the last book into two and continue with a fourth book, renaming it the Inheritance Cycle, the fourth book hasn't had any public news since '09, but I think we'll see it either winter or next year, though that may be wishful thinking. Don't you just hate when that happens: TO BE CONTINUED... Eventually...

Sometimes, you just have to start over.
Old August 5th, 2010, 02:52 AM

Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker Sport351 knows what's in an order marker

It kinda just hit me that school's starting here in a few weeks. So when I went to the library I picked up a few more educational titles. The Black Hole War by Leonard Susskind, Black Holes: A Traveler's Guide by Clifford A. Pickover, Magick, Mayhem, and Mavericks by Cathy Cobb (I suck at chemistry, might help), Time Travel in Einstein's World by J. Richarrd Gott, and God's Equation by Amir D. Aczel.

"I thoroughly disapprove of duels. If a man should challenge me, I would take him kindly and forgivingly by the hand, lead him to a quiet place and kill him."
— Mark Twain
Old August 5th, 2010, 09:30 PM

pjnormandin knows what's in an order marker pjnormandin knows what's in an order marker

I just finished "Predator: Concrete Jungle" by Nathan Archer.
It was ok. It took elements of the Predator movies and combined them into a so-so book. The hero was Arnold Schwarzenegger's character's brother... his bigger badder brother.
Old August 6th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Insanity of Cohesion

Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun Ryougabot is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjnormandin View Post
I just finished "Predator: Concrete Jungle" by Nathan Archer.
It was ok. It took elements of the Predator movies and combined them into a so-so book. The hero was Arnold Schwarzenegger's character's brother... his bigger badder brother.
That is actually the novelization of a comic book series from Dark Horse. I actually enjoyed the comicas better than the book...what a world

-Ryougabot

Find out who works with whom
Old August 15th, 2010, 09:21 AM

Aquaryan is surprisingly tart

Steve Alten's MEG: Hell's Aquarium.

Old August 15th, 2010, 09:31 AM
No Soup or Happy Endings For You!

CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla CheddarLimbo is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Just finished The Ladies of Grace Adieu. It was a series of short stories by the author of Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell, Susana Clarke.

I'm now on to Darkly Dreaming Dexter, the first book in a series on which Showtime's Dexter is based.

Old August 16th, 2010, 06:35 PM
What's Curse of Negoksa???

Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Lord of the Flies, Dracula, or Frankenstein?

Swamper is Zetacron...
in the
Garden of Horror...
Old August 16th, 2010, 06:36 PM
Midol, King of PMS

Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby!
OH!

Lord of the Flies. A great read.

I'm a F18, bro.
Old August 16th, 2010, 06:51 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Why not all three! But I'd vote for Lord of the Flies.

I'm finishing up The Battle of Corrin, the third in the Dune prequel series.
Old August 16th, 2010, 06:54 PM
What's Curse of Negoksa???

Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness Swamper wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raudulfr Shieldcrusher View Post
Why not all three! But I'd vote for Lord of the Flies.

I'm finishing up The Battle of Corrin, the third in the Dune prequel series.
Get this: an English teacher only allows us to read one book a month! I thought you were supposed to read in English! Since my only access to a library is through the school, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. Which book to choose?

Swamper is Zetacron...
in the
Garden of Horror...

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Media > Books