Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News
HeroScape News Sightings, HeroScape.com updates, official news, etc.

Old May 15th, 2007, 02:35 PM

HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness
USPS Rate increases--very bad news

As most of you probably already know, the post office raised its rates yesterday...and package shipping went up a BUNCH...especially Global Express. )

We'll have to rethink our shipping strategies.

1) International Airmail and Economy Parcel Post services no longer exist--These services will not be missed because packages sent via Parcel Post could take as long as 3 months for delivery and could not be tracked. So "good-bye" and "good riddance".

2) Global Express service appears to have increased about 5%-8% or more. I will have to adjust my shipping rates accordingly.

3) The maximum sizes of the boxes that can be sent internationally is 79" (length + girth). A lot of you have previously received boxes that were 24" x 24" x 12" which fit within the old 108" size restrictions. If your order will not fit into the new, smaller boxes, we'll have to use 2 boxes. I'll advise you of any additional shipping costs before processing your credit card so you can choose whether to continue with the order.

3) Here's the only positive news: International Priority Mail seems to be taking the place of Parcel Post. In the past, Priority mail service was limited to packages under 4 lbs, the box could not be insured, the box could not be tracked, and the service was not available to several countries (like Italy). For all these reasons, I didn't ship via Global Priority. But it appears all of that may have changed. Global Priority no longer has a weight restriction, it can be insured, it can be tracked, and the delivery time is supposed to be 6-10 business days (the reality is probably closer to 3 weeks.). Global Priority is not cheap by any means, but it is about 20% less than the new Global Express rates. I'll test this service today with a box going to the UK. If the service is satisfactory, I'll add it to House Mouse's shipping options within the next week or two. So if you have more time than money (which includes me), Global Priority may be "the way to go".
Old May 15th, 2007, 02:38 PM

Harold Woo who?
Awww thats a shame, shipping across to europe was already expensive enough, tyvm. Thanks for keeping us informed though.
Old May 15th, 2007, 03:03 PM

RichardD has disabled reputation
Is there any size restriction on Global Prority? If not, it would certainly be the way to go for me. My orders tend to be on the large size.

I can wait a couple of weeks for a big box to arrive (especially if it's a little cheaper); but if large orders have to ship in two (or even three) boxes, that would make life a lot more difficult.

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

A - "I have NEVER taken 10 minutes!"

Old May 15th, 2007, 03:09 PM

HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness HouseMouseGames wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardD
Is there any size restriction on Global Prority? If not, it would certainly be the way to go for me. My orders tend to be on the large size.

I can wait a couple of weeks for a big box to arrive (especially if it's a little cheaper); but if large orders have to ship in two (or even three) boxes, that would make life a lot more difficult.
The size restriction is on both Express and Priority shipments. The only service that is exempt from the size restriction is Global Express Guaranteed (and you don't want to ask the price of THIS service!)
Old May 15th, 2007, 05:05 PM

Rats. That is not good news

Q - "Are you one of those people who does The Times crossword puzzle in 10 minutes?"

Old May 15th, 2007, 05:20 PM

Re: USPS Rate increases--very bad news

Quote:
3) The maximum sizes of the boxes that can be sent internationally is 79" (length + girth). A lot of you have previously received boxes that were 24" x 24" x 12" which fit within the old 108" size restrictions. If your order will not fit into the new, smaller boxes, we'll have to use 2 boxes. I'll advise you of any additional shipping costs before processing your credit card so you can choose whether to continue with the order.
UPDATE:
I may be wrong on this "maximum size" restriction. When I look at the CALCULATE RATES site, it says that the maximum dimensions are 79". But when I start to "drill down" into the actual postal regulations, it seems that some countries may be exempt from these restrictions, so the old 108" restrictions (BIG boxes) may apply. I'll probably have to take a big "test" box to the post office to see if it is accepted.
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:00 PM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Man, this price increase is horrible. My US shipping has to go up by a buck, but international shipping just got retarded. Where I could do Air Letter Post for $16 before, now it's more like $25. I may have to get an international distributor, because I'm thinking my international sales are about to tank.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:02 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Sorry to hear about the price increases, Sandra, as from what I understand a number of people enjoy order large amounts of 'scape from your store. Hope it doesn't hurt business.

I also wanted to give a big thanks for shipping my order so quickly, and in a real Hasbro Toy&Game box to boot!

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfinityMax
Man, this price increase is horrible. My US shipping has to go up by a buck, but international shipping just got retarded. Where I could do Air Letter Post for $16 before, now it's more like $25. I may have to get an international distributor, because I'm thinking my international sales are about to tank.
I have that same sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach as well. The only saving grace (if you can call it that) is that the dollar is so soft against the Euro.
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:15 PM

Yep. Right now increased shipping charges aren't a nightmare for us (unless they have also snuck in smaller boxes). And you don't want to know what the shipping charges would be in the other direction, from UK to US. I priced up sending one of my dice towers abroad - we're talking in the $50 territory!

Old May 15th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Sadly, with gas prices up to $3.49/gal reg. unleaded by me, a lot of businesses are going to have to raise their rates. Some, like HouseMouse and IMax who depend on shipping are at the mercy of the USPS and others like myself will be hit directly by gas prices. I don't ship anything other than regular mail for bills or proposals, but I drive all over not only to do the work but to pick up material and equipment, as well as going out to do estimates on work that I might not even get.

Unfortunately, everyone's prices are going to likely be affected, which means people are going to be spending less on things that aren't necessities.

I know that stamps go up and never back down, but from you regular shippers of packages, do the other rates ever fluctuate like fuel or is it like stamps that go up and never go down?

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old May 15th, 2007, 06:23 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma
Sadly, with gas prices up to $3.49/gal reg. unleaded by me, a lot of businesses are going to have to raise their rates. Some, like HouseMouse and IMax who depend on shipping are at the mercy of the USPS and others like myself will be hit directly by gas prices. I don't ship anything other than regular mail for bills or proposals, but I drive all over not only to do the work but to pick up material and equipment, as well as going out to do estimates on work that I might not even get.

Unfortunately, everyone's prices are going to likely be affected, which means people are going to be spending less on things that aren't necessities.

I know that stamps go up and never back down, but from you regular shippers of packages, do the other rates ever fluctuate like fuel or is it like stamps that go up and never go down?
Always up, never down

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape News