Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Notices

Old November 11th, 2008, 10:56 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Prop 8 Prevails in California -- Gay Marriage Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
they're simply sheeple following along what their particular Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality tells them to?
I hope you have a good sense of humor...

~Aldin, amusedly

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old November 11th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Sheeple of the Codex of Ultimate Wisdom and Morality

SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death! SuperflyTNT is hot lava death!

I figured that by now you'd have realized that! I assume that not everyone here is a Christian, so I figured I'd better include everyone.

~Superfly, waiting for other shoe to drop, but still smiling!

I was famous, once...
http://www.heroscapers.com/community/blog.php?b=1715
Visit my site:
http://www.superflycircus.com
"I'm not cute...I'll mess you up!" ~Jake The Dog
Old November 11th, 2008, 11:20 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
That's preposterous. It's like saying that heterosexuality is a choice. Listen, we are not straight because we choose to be, we are straight because women are so freakin good lookin to us that the notion of anything else is not only ridiculous, it's absurd.

I assume that homosexuals have that same passion but for their own gender. It makes no sense to me, but I don't see any harm in what they are doing, nor in our society offering acceptance.
I don't think that it's preposterous at all. In essence he is saying that we are genetically programmed to be heterosexual. To go against genetic programming takes something substantial.
Old November 11th, 2008, 11:47 AM
Back of man! I can't spell!

Bannister has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperflyTNT View Post
And remember, I am not on the anti- side, nor am I on the pro- side.

I think homosexuality is absolutely repulsive. I hate that I have seen WAY too many gay couples, man and woman, in Gay Pride parades and rallies all over CA and it sickens me. It has nothing to do with religious conviction or moral/immoral, it is a physical pain to see that and it disgusts me. I simply cannot fathom in any way why a man would want to put his junk in another person's rectum, or be on the receiving end. It's simply wrong, and nasty. Same thing with hetero couples who do that.....nasty. I'm all for freaky sex, but when poo-poo is involved, that's where I take my leave.
1. I am going to go out a a limb here and put you on the anti-homosexual side. Call me crazy but that just sounds, you know, "anti-gay".

2. If they stick to only oral sex would that be ok?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
Quote:
That's preposterous. It's like saying that heterosexuality is a choice. Listen, we are not straight because we choose to be, we are straight because women are so freakin good lookin to us that the notion of anything else is not only ridiculous, it's absurd.

I assume that homosexuals have that same passion but for their own gender. It makes no sense to me, but I don't see any harm in what they are doing, nor in our society offering acceptance.
I don't think that it's preposterous at all. In essence he is saying that we are genetically programmed to be heterosexual. To go against genetic programming takes something substantial.
What part of your genetic make up makes you look at an attractive female and say "Ohhhh, yeah!!"?

What part of your genetic make up makes you look at an attractive male and say "Noooo, way!!"?

Bannister

That can only mean one thing. And I don't know what it is.
Old November 11th, 2008, 11:50 AM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Let me refresh this one since I'm still waiting for an answer to the question below from Ted D from yesterday... with all the pages since this question, it might have been easy to miss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_Danson View Post
Quote:
I meant "update" in every sense of my original post, not singling out any religions or groups.
The key word is POST, the entire post carried the message, the word burn was in reference to outdated clauses that do not apply to today's world.

Throw away, update, change, ignore, sideline, these are all words to use in place of "burn."

...But what outdated/archaic clauses in texts are you referring to? (straightforward question here... I'm really curious about what you are specifically referring to)...

Thanks!

SW8K

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old November 11th, 2008, 12:43 PM

Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness Granite-M wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
Quote:

I gotta say, I really don't think that we're all genetically programmed to be straight. 'Cause, there are gay animals. Gay penguins, even. You telling me that they somehow were taught to be gay? By whom? A gay-agenda zoo keeper? That they overcame millions and millions of years of evolutionary programming for heterosexual behavior, and decided to be gay penguins? I don't buy it.

That said, all of this choice vs. genetics arguing really doesn't count for anything. I've said it before, and I'll reiterate: you can't limit someone's legal rights just because you disagree with the choices they've made, if those choices don't harm the society. The majority of the population might not like people who choose to use patchouli oil instead of shampoo. That doesn't mean that we deny them the right to marry. Again, going back to the Loving v. Virginia case: those people chose to marry outside their race. They might have been born black and white, but they made an extremely unpopular decision to marry outside their color. And just because the vast majority of the population didn't care for that choice, doesn't mean that they had the right to prevent it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the real issue the one of harm? Whether or not allowing gay marriage would harm society? I flatly reject the arguments that allowing gay marriage would cause a pandemic of infectious gayness that would destroy civilization. Between movies like "The Birdcage," and TV shows like "Will & Grace" and "Queer Eye," I think that the secret might be out that there are gay people out there. And yet, somehow, we haven't all turned gay. We are not in danger of catching the gay, and the proportion of gay to straight is not going to cause our birthrate to dwindle away such that we will be overwhelmed by the other countries that have kept their breeding programs running strong.

That is not dead which can eternal lie.
And with strange aeons, even death may die.

Heroes of StarWars 'Scape / North Carolina 'Scapers
Old November 11th, 2008, 01:20 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotwalker 8000 View Post
Let me refresh this one since I'm still waiting for an answer to the question below from Ted D from yesterday... with all the pages since this question, it might have been easy to miss.

Quote:
Quote:
I meant "update" in every sense of my original post, not singling out any religions or groups.
The key word is POST, the entire post carried the message, the word burn was in reference to outdated clauses that do not apply to today's world.

Throw away, update, change, ignore, sideline, these are all words to use in place of "burn."

...But what outdated/archaic clauses in texts are you referring to? (straightforward question here... I'm really curious about what you are specifically referring to)...

Thanks!

SW8K
I read it originally, as ordinary English, as outdated (in his opinion) legal texts. I saw no reference to religious texts or the Bible. I also read a metaphor and not a call for any literal burning. I think your agenda shaped your reading, SW8K and you saw something that, simply, was not there in Ted's post.
Old November 11th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Snot Yo Mama

Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Snotwalker 8000 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

[quote=Ted_Danson;706014]
Quote:

Without saying anything about religion, you all know how I feel about it, my wife and I were able to legally get married in a celebration with our family and friends. We did not do this as a slight against god, but so all of the people we know and love can join with us and share our day.

I'm 100% sure that most Gay people believe in god, so let them share their moment with god.
The context in the preceding two paragraphs was talking about religion/God... leading directly to the next paragraph.

Quote:
The best day in human history, is the day that we can accept people for who they are, and burn all of these archaic clauses in texts written by men, who wanted people to follow them.
Archaic? Texts "written by men"? "Who wanted people to follow them?" Sorry, but I'll be darned if that's referring to legal texts.

Legal texts aren't "written by men who wanted people to follow them."

And pretty much any "archaic text" would be written by men, so pointing that out in particular sounds more like an argument against the Word of God (just a book written by men).

And what legal text is written with the distinct purpose of "wanting people to follow them"?

Take all of that into consideration, Rev, and there's much greater evidence that TD was referring to a religious text than a legal one. And my simple question was asking which "archaic clauses in text written by men" were being specifically referred to? TD argued he wasn't singling out any religion or group, so I'd really like to know what archaic text is being thought of in that post.

It's a simple and valid question stemming from both the context and wording of the post. And also very germane to the topic being discussed. It's a very bold statement that would benefit from specific clarification. Fair enough?

SW8K

"The Democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Old November 11th, 2008, 02:14 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth

I'd say the laws of the United States were written by people "wanting people to follow them."

Perhaps you are correct, SWK8. But I believe it is wise and well to give the other person the benefit of the doubt. I, of course, am more interested in building community here than in winning arguments, so that does color the way I read things.
Old November 11th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Resident Artist & Master Custom Creator

CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker

"What do you mean, You People"?

I would see TD's post as being towards using the word "archaic" not in it's most literal sense, but instead using it as a way to describe the "Old School" thoughts as a whole.

If he's not singling out a specific group or text and using it as a more broadened term then he can't answer what you want him to.

My mind is the Pink Zippo that sits on top of a pack of Camel Wides.
Old November 11th, 2008, 02:24 PM
Snot Yo Mama

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post
I'd say the laws of the United States were written by people "wanting people to follow them."

Perhaps you are correct, SWK8. But I believe it is wise and well to give the other person the benefit of the doubt. I, of course, am more interested in building community here than in winning arguments, so that does color the way I read things.
Agreed. But some things are worthy of a quick clarification request in order to maintain the integrity of a discussion in a community.

Old November 11th, 2008, 02:27 PM
Resident Artist & Master Custom Creator

CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker CupidsArt knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotwalker 8000 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revdyer View Post

Agreed. But some things are worthy of a quick clarification request in order to maintain the integrity of a discussion in a community.
Or because one person might perceive the horse to still be alive.

My mind is the Pink Zippo that sits on top of a pack of Camel Wides.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General