Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

View Poll Results: How should D1-3 treasure glyphs be abbreviated?
Use 1 letter; if not available use the first letter in two words or a compound word (ala MS3:BftU) 5 41.67%
Use 1 letter; if not available use the first two letters of one word (ala Marvel:TCB) 1 8.33%
Always use the first letter in two words or a compound word 2 16.67%
Always use the first two letters of one word 2 16.67%
Other - Post below (Undecided is not an option). 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 15th, 2010, 06:43 PM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth
Glyph Abbreviations - Please submit your input!

So the master set (1,2,3) glyph abbreviations are in the rulebooks, but I am not aware of any official ruling on the glyph abbreviations in D1-D3 in addition to online official scenario glyphs? I have asked in the HeroScape Glyphs -- Definitive List, Question Dump, and Treasure Glyph files for VirtualScape threads but have gotten no answer. We know that treasure glyphs and normal glyphs can have the same abbreviations (i.e Brandar & Brandar's Chest: B) because the icon used on maps are different colors. So let's make a decision on the abbreviations right here by posting your suggestions and coming up with a consensus on glyph abbreviations. These abbreviations should then be used on all maps and scenarios on this site, including BoV maps.

I plan on after coming up with answers renaming this thread Glyph Abbreviations Definitive List (if I get permission to use that title in the thread) but it may be redundant to Rev's HeroScape Glyphs -- Definitive List

Glyph Abbreviations Definitive List
Spoiler Alert!

Let's have a vote, although you are free to discuss your reasons for glyph abbreviations. Vote in above poll, but also Quote/copy the below, keeping only the options you want.
Bolt of the Witherwood (D20 Destroy) - W, BW, Bo, Wi, Ww
Holy Symbol of Pelor (Attack +2 vs. Undead) - S, P, HS, SP, HP, Ho, Sy, Pe
Elixir of Speed (Move +4) - E, S, ES, Ex, Sp
Ring of Protection (Defense +3) - R, P, RP, Ri, Pr
Whetstone of Venom (+2 Wounds) - W, V, WV, Wh, Ve
Belt of Giant Strength (+2 Attack) - G, S, BG, BS, GS, Be, Gi, St
Broach of Shielding (Disengage) - S, BS, Br, Sh
Cloak of Invisibility (Invisibility) - C, I, CI, Cl, In
Bracers of Teleportation (Teleportation) - T, BT, Br, Te, Tp
Scarab of Invulnerability (Ignore Wounds) - S, I, SI, Sc, In
Giant Hunter Stone (Large/Huge Attack/defense +1) - G, S, GH, HS, GS, Gi, Hu, st
Oceanstrider Amulet (Slither) - O, A, OA, Oc, Am
Revenant’s Tome (Revive to Attack) - R, T, RT, Re, To

Note: Some of the above are depended on each other, for instance you cannot pick W for both Whetstone of Venom and Bolt of the Witherwood or BS for both Belt of Giant Strength and Broach of Shielding. H, D, PH, & B are already taken based on MS3 rulebook.

Last edited by lefton4ya; February 20th, 2011 at 04:27 PM. Reason: Updated Lists
Old June 15th, 2010, 08:05 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!
Re: Glyph Abbreviations - Indefinite List

I'm kind of keen on Ww for Witherwood.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old June 18th, 2010, 07:56 AM

Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Glyph Abbreviations - Please submit your input!

Ya know, part of me wants all the abbreviations to be a uniform 1 letter each. But since it's near impossible to have all the treasure glyphs have a 1 letter abbreviation (especially with the Holy Symbol of Pellor wanting an "s" or "p") what about giving all the treasure glyphs dual letter abbreviations? It would be more obvious which glyph was being represented and might alleviate any future dificulties that may come up with yet unnamed glyphs.

in which case you'd have:

A - Astrid
B - Brandar's Chest
BW - Bolt of the Witherwood
C - Crevcor
D - Dagmar
TD - Talisman of Defense
E - Erland
G - Gerda
HR - Heroic Rune
I - Ivor
MI - Mysterious Item
J - Jalgard
K - Kelda
L - Lodin
M - Mitonsoul
N - Nilrend
O - Oreld
OP - Object of Power
P - Proftka
RP - Ring of Protection
PH - Potion of Healing
R - Rannveig
ES - Elixir of Speed
S - Sturla
SP - Holy Symbol of Pelor
BT - Bracers of Teleportation
T - Thorian
U - Ulaniva
V - Valda
WV - Whetstone of Venom
W - Wannok

I gave the same treatment to the Marvel Glyphs above in case anyone likes dual lettering for those also, but I have no problem with It and Ob vs MI and OP. I only prefer that within a type things are represented in the same way.

Last edited by Strack9; June 18th, 2010 at 08:11 AM.
Old June 18th, 2010, 06:23 PM

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

I think double letter abbreviations should only be used when the first letters in all the words are already taken. The D&D rulebook has treasure glyhs be the same letters as normal glyphs, but it only uses one two letter glyph (PH). Why Marvel glyphs picked two letters in one word and D&D chose the first letter of two words is beyond me, but for treasure glyphs I would rather follow the D&D masterset example. Again, the list we am trying to come up with is what should be used by all mapmakers on this site if they actually list glyphs (not just ?) on their PDF map builds, so they should be universal.

Aside: It is also fun to note that SOTM glyphs, they intentionally made the glyph abbreviation be the same as what the power was (U=Unique attack, C=Common Attack, W=Wound, etc.) For D&D they kind of named them what they can do instead of just coming up with Valhalla sounding names, so the powers are a little easier to remember, but not as easy as SOTM.
Old June 18th, 2010, 06:30 PM

bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness bmaczero wears ripped pants of awesomeness

So are you trying to compile all the abbreviations from the rulebooks or come up with a new system?

MSE: Easy Heroscape Card Creation
V2.5 Expanded Glyphs
Old June 18th, 2010, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmaczero View Post
So are you trying to compile all the abbreviations from the rulebooks or come up with a new system?
Not all of the glyphs are in the rulebooks. As for re-abbreviating ones in the rulebooks, I am not in favor of that but I guess it could be an option.

I have a better idea - let's have a vote. Quote/copy the below, keeping only the options you want.

In General for D1+ Treasure glyphs, should we:
  • Use 1 letter abbrieviations, and if not available use the first letter in two words
  • Use 1 letter abbreviations, and if not available use the first two letters of one word
  • Always use the first letter in two words
  • Always use the first two letters of one word

Holy Symbol of Pelor (Attack +2 vs. Undead) - H / S / P / HS / SP / Ho / Sy / Pe
Elixir of Speed (Move +4) - E / S / ES / Ex / Sp
Ring of Protection (Defense +3) - R / P / RP / Ri / Pr
Whetstone of Venom (Poison) - W / V / WV / Wh / Ve
Bolt of the Witherwood (D20 Destroy) - W / BW / Bo / Wi / Ww
Bracers of Teleportation (Telepoartation) - T / BT / Br / Te / Tp

Note: Some of the above are depended on each other, for instance you cannot pick W for both Whetstone of Venom and Bolt of the Witherwood

Last edited by lefton4ya; June 18th, 2010 at 08:57 PM.
Old June 18th, 2010, 08:49 PM

My Choice:

Use 1 letter abbrieviations, and if not available use the first letter in two words

Holy Symbol of Pelor (Attack +2 vs. Undead) SP
Elixir of Speed (Move +4) - S
Ring of Protection (Defense +3) - P
Whetstone of Venom (Poison) - V
Bolt of the Witherwood (D20 Destroy) - W
Bracers of Teleportation (Telepoartation) - T
Old June 18th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
Holy Symbol of Pelor (Attack +2 vs. Undead) HS
Elixir of Speed (Move +4)ES
Ring of Protection (Defense +3) -RP
Whetstone of Venom (Poison) -WV
Bolt of the Witherwood (D20 Destroy) Wi
Bracers of Teleportation (Telepoartation) BT
thats my vote

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:17 PM

Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness Strack9 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:

In General for D1+ Treasure glyphs, we should:
  • Always use the first letter in two words
Holy Symbol of Pelor (Attack +2 vs. Undead) - SP
Elixir of Speed (Move +4) - ES
Ring of Protection (Defense +3) - RP
Whetstone of Venom (Poison) - WV
Bolt of the Witherwood (D20 Destroy) - BW
Bracers of Teleportation (Telepoartation) - BT
The same would go for the other D1 glyphs.
That's my vote.

However, if that ends up not appealing to the majority, my second vote would be: Use 1 letter abbrieviations, and if not available use the first letter in two words.
Old June 19th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Scenariographer

xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla xraine69 is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Have you asked any of the designers?

Based off the key in BftU, I would say:

Elixir of Speed=S
Ring of protection=RP
Whetstone of Venom=V
Holy Symbol of Pelor=P
Bracers of Teleportation=T
Bolt of Witherwood=W
Cloak of Invisibility=I

It looks like they are keeping the glyphs to one letter unless 2 glyphs conflict, then they use 2 letters.

Guess I'm getting back into Scape

Last edited by xraine69; June 23rd, 2010 at 04:31 PM.
Old August 25th, 2010, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Bolt of the Witherwood (D20 Destroy) - W, BW, Bo, Wi, Ww
Holy Symbol of Pelor (Attack +2 vs. Undead) - S, P, HS, SP, HP, Ho, Sy, Pe
Elixir of Speed (Move +4) - E, S, ES, Ex, Sp
Ring of Protection (Defense +3) - R, P, RP, Ri, Pr
Whetstone of Venom (Poison) - W, V, WV, Wh, Ve
Belt of Giant Strength (+2 Attack) - G, S, BG, BS, GS, Be, Gi, St
Broach of Shielding (Disengage) - S, BS, Br, Sh
Cloak of Invisibility (Invisibility) - C, I, CI, Cl, In
Bracers of Teleportation (Teleportation) - T, BT, Br, Te, Tp
Scarab of Invulnerability (Ignore Wounds) - S, I, SI, Sc, In
Giant Hunter Stone (Large/Huge Attack/defense +1) - G, S, GH, HS, GS, Gi, Hu, st
Oceanstrider Amulet (Slither) - O, A, OA, Oc, Am
Revenant’s Tome (Revive to Attack) - R, T, RT, Re, To

Note: Some of the above are depended on each other, for instance you cannot pick W for both Whetstone of Venom and Bolt of the Witherwood or BS for both Belt of Giant Strength and Broach of Shielding. H, D, PH, & B are already taken based on MS3 rulebook.
I updated with D3 glyphs - Vote in above poll, but also Quote/copy the above, keeping only the options you want. H, D, PH, & B are already taken based on MS3 rulebook.

Last edited by lefton4ya; February 20th, 2011 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Updated with D3 glyphs
Old February 17th, 2011, 06:14 PM

I want to update my Ultimate Battlefield Key to have all the glyphs, but again no consensus was reached on how to abbreviate them (for map legends that use specific glyphs). I added a poll - please vote how you would like them abbreviated in general. After this vote is tallied we can go into specifics such as which word(s) in a glyph do we get the abbreviated letters from.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's