Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Notices

Old September 27th, 2010, 11:36 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
Re: Frost Giant of Morh pre release discussion

GenCon is just a small piece of the puzzle - it just happens to be the most widely publicized.

I'm going to get on weesel99 about changing our NHSD to a draft pool. Right now it's blind 495 Point armies, but I really feel like all that Heroscape needs for SOOOO many more figures to be worth their points in tournaments is some sort of draft.

I think that, instead of focusing on GenCon making the change, we should focus right now on NHSD making the change. It's up to us tournament organizers to make tourney Heroscape the best it can be, and I really feel like pooled draft (or some kind of draft) is the way to go.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Last edited by killercactus; September 27th, 2010 at 11:36 AM. Reason: This doesn't take away from occasional formats like General Wars and such which are still obviously cool.
Old September 27th, 2010, 11:48 AM
Is a Quadradical

ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth ollie is a man of the cloth

I'm excited by the upcoming draft event I'm attending, but I don't see any reason to make this either/or. Both drafting and pre-made armies are great ways to play Heroscape. I'd be unhappy if one dominated to the point of excluding the other entirely; there's plenty of space to play both ways.

Without having done a drafting event yet, my guess for my preference is to have 3/4 events pre-made (but with other potential twists, like general wars or whatever) and 1/4 drafting. Maybe that'll change in November.

On-topic. I'm really looking forward to playing this guy. I enjoy leaving engagement and charging at a higher-value target in any case and it'll much easier to convince myself it's the best choice with the Frost Giant.
Old September 27th, 2010, 11:50 AM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Post Re: Frost Giant of Morh pre release discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Heroscapes tournaments really need to move towards a draft pool format.
That shift may just be beginning with the Colorado Tourney this past weeked and the Thanksgiving Thrash scheduled in Novemeber out my way.
Beginning with Colorado???? You do know that others have had draft tourneys before right?
So that means you guys are ready to take the plunge and have a pooled draft event at GenCon, right?
With the rolling rumble format, naturally.
Dallas has been doing draft tourneys for a while, IIRC.

Old September 27th, 2010, 12:18 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Never having played draft style before, I could use an education. How does it make it better? I do not see much difference except for the fact you can try and tailor your picks to defeat your opponent. How much extra time does this add to the event and how many more figures are you going to have to bring? Will this lead to people bringing their entire collection to the event? My biggest concern is the time factor. At GC there was rarely extra time and many games were called before completion. I would appreciate someone explaining to me the benefit of draft style. Thanks...peace

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:20 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Never having played draft style before, I could use an education. How does it make it better? I do not see much difference except for the fact you can try and tailor your picks to defeat your opponent. How much extra time does this add to the event and how many more figures are you going to have to bring? Will this lead to people bringing their entire collection to the event? My biggest concern is the time factor. At GC there was rarely extra time and many games were called before completion. I would appreciate someone explaining to me the benefit of draft style. Thanks...peace
At Gencon, i think the draft would only occur during the sweet 16 finals. But basically the gist is that you are drafting from a limited pool so you don't need an entire collection.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:30 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeblewalker View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
Heroscapes tournaments really need to move towards a draft pool format.
That shift may just be beginning with the Colorado Tourney this past weeked and the Thanksgiving Thrash scheduled in Novemeber out my way.
Beginning with Colorado???? You do know that others have had draft tourneys before right?
Dallas has been doing draft tourneys for a while, IIRC.
Yes, they do - two already and a third on the way (2008, 2009, 2010). They also did a similar event in the Bay Area, and probably a couple more I don't know about.

What sets the one that just happened in Colorado and the two that will soon happen in Ohio/New England apart from past events, in my opinion, is:
  1. These events don't restrict your draft pool in any way except total points.
  2. These events all modify the rulebook draft rules in a way that allows you to draft multiples of common squads and don't give your opponent the chance to "denial draft" them away from you.
The net effect of these changes is that you still can play armies that feature lots of synergy and multiples of common squads. In other words, the actual gameplay ends up being more similar to the standard tournament environment.

Believe me when I say that the pooled draft format is enough all by itself to shake up the metagame, despite these changes that allow for synergistic, common-heavy armies.

Quote:
Rather than continue this thread derailment, I'd suggest we continue this discussion in a more appropriate thread, like the pooled draft format thread. If you still have questions about the advantages, I'd be happy to address them there. (I agree that the time factor is a drawback - just about the only one in my opinion.)

Last edited by dok; September 27th, 2010 at 02:13 PM.
Old September 27th, 2010, 12:32 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
I'm excited by the upcoming draft event I'm attending, but I don't see any reason to make this either/or. Both drafting and pre-made armies are great ways to play Heroscape. I'd be unhappy if one dominated to the point of excluding the other entirely; there's plenty of space to play both ways.

Without having done a drafting event yet, my guess for my preference is to have 3/4 events pre-made (but with other potential twists, like general wars or whatever) and 1/4 drafting. Maybe that'll change in November.

On-topic. I'm really looking forward to playing this guy. I enjoy leaving engagement and charging at a higher-value target in any case and it'll much easier to convince myself it's the best choice with the Frost Giant.
I agree that I wouldn't like to see drafting as the only way tournaments are run, but I believe that if there is ever an "official" tournament format, then drafting should be it over pre-made, since drafting is in the rulebook and it makes lots of figures better. If I had to name an official format of the tourney scene today, I think pre-made would be it.

Quote:
Without going into a ton of detail, I think drafting is better because there are a lot of figures in Heroscape that don't have a lot of value outside of being a strong counterdraft. Also, there are lots of figures (especially DnD) that don't need other units to do well, and the draft gives them an advantage as a player drafting them doesn't have to worry about an opponent drafting the other units they need for their army.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old September 27th, 2010, 05:12 PM

master4sword knows what's in an order marker master4sword knows what's in an order marker
Re: Ice Giant of Morh pre release discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonmaster384 View Post
I actually agree that this guy may have trouble with Q9(and specials make Dying Swipe very much less useful), but this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by master4sword View Post
Problem here is, Frosty's only 6 attack for the first turn...
is wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frost Giant of Morh
Indomitable. If this Frost Giant of Morh begins its turn unengaged, add 2 to its Move value this turn. If it begins its turn engaged, add 2 to its Attack value this turn.
As long as it remains engaged it gets that Attack +2 every turn. In fact, it should get 6 Attack on every turn except the first one.
Misread Indomitable, thought both the move and attack bonuses were for starting unengaged. Thanks for correcting me.
Old September 27th, 2010, 06:29 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I really like how some of my customs ideas got used

Dusk's Grace-
Start on Grass, get either +2 move or attack.

Frosty-
Start unengaged=+2 move. Start engaged=+2 attack
/////////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Malink-
No LOS special attack

MFM-
No LOS special attack
Heirloom-
No LOS special attack
////////////////\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
Molthas-
Recoiling power attack(in form of a special attack though)

Eltahale-
Recoiling power attack

Get the picture?

Spoiler Alert!

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old September 27th, 2010, 08:23 PM

Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness Majora's Incarnation wears ripped pants of awesomeness

the design team must have based D3 off of your customs. Thats why its so awesome. Hallowed be thy name oh flameslayer.

Come check out The Essalim Collate, a content platform centered around worldbuilding and narrative design in gaming!
Old September 27th, 2010, 09:07 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majora's Incarnation View Post
the design team must have based D3 off of your customs. Thats why its so awesome. Hallowed be thy name oh flameslayer.
I knew there was a reason I liked this Wave so much. Thanks design team!

Edit: Just remembered, they did help me get an idea for a Dragon Squad though, so I guess it was a fair trade

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.

Last edited by flameslayer93; September 27th, 2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old September 27th, 2010, 10:06 PM

vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker vertigosmooth knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majora's Incarnation View Post
I knew there was a reason I liked this Wave so much. Thanks design team!

Edit: Just remembered, they did help me get an idea for a Dragon Squad though, so I guess it was a fair trade

Doesnt Tul-Bak-Ra have a no LOS special>? That figure was released way back in classic scape days.

Let freedom ring with the shotgun blast

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units