Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old September 12th, 2013, 11:08 AM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

August playlist:

Spoiler Alert!

-insert signature here-
Old September 12th, 2013, 11:30 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

@nyys: What do you think of Fleet? I've heard some buzz, but I'm curious for a Scaper's take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Zip Zap is a speed game where you're playing cards in numerical order in the right suits but there are these wild cards you can use. Also, everyone has a Zap card they can use once to play whatever they want. I like speed games and this one's pretty good.

Metropolys is an abstract bidding game with positioning on the board. It's pretty different than anything else I've played. I like it quite a bit but my family hated it.
Yeah, I know that feeling. It's amazing how a game can totally work for you, but then your family can completely not get it. So many other games you all have in common, but then one just totally bombs.

Thanks for the feedback!
Old September 12th, 2013, 12:00 PM

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
@nyys: What do you think of Fleet? I've heard some buzz, but I'm curious for a Scaper's take.
Fleet is really good IMO. It's fun as a 2-player game but it really shines with 3-4. Unless playing with some of the promo cards the only real interaction is in the first phase with the auction of licenses. After that it's pretty solitaire, but if you like that sort of game I definitely reccomend it.

I does take a couple of games to 'figure it out' and what I mean by that is the first couple times I played I got a very 'meh' feeling. It took a few plays for the strategies to reveal themselves, but once that occured I can't say enough good things. Also helps that I really like the theme.

With 2 players you can play in under 30 minutes once you get going and +10min for each additional player.

Worth the CSI discounted price for sure IMO.

-insert signature here-
Old September 12th, 2013, 05:38 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Mmirg View Post
Fleet is really good IMO. It's fun as a 2-player game but it really shines with 3-4. Unless playing with some of the promo cards the only real interaction is in the first phase with the auction of licenses. After that it's pretty solitaire, but if you like that sort of game I definitely reccomend it.

I does take a couple of games to 'figure it out' and what I mean by that is the first couple times I played I got a very 'meh' feeling. It took a few plays for the strategies to reveal themselves, but once that occured I can't say enough good things. Also helps that I really like the theme.

With 2 players you can play in under 30 minutes once you get going and +10min for each additional player.

Worth the CSI discounted price for sure IMO.
I agree.

I have only played one time and it was with 4 players. I enjoyed it. It takes a little figuring out at first and there is some timing that you have to keep track of, but other than that, it's cool. It's neat when you get a card (license) that gives you a discount on paying for things and then are able to bid on a pub on the dock (not sure if that's it) card that cost 10 (when you only have 9 coin) and is huge toward the end points. I was able to do this a couple times and it helped a bit. Also having another license that gives points for fish on boats at the end helped, as I had a lot of fish and won pretty handily.

There are different strategies, like going for the processing vessel in order to draw more cards when you process the fish or whatever. Other types of licenses for fish too that give you different bonuses that you can use in your strategy.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old September 12th, 2013, 05:42 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

Tired of waiting for an official expansion to be published, and enjoying taking things down off the shelf that haven't been out for a while, I looked at my original and my 150th Anniversary (Second Edition) of Battle Cry after scanning the entries on BGG as mentioned in a recent post here, and the checking the components of the two editions for compatibility (almost 100%).

Than I made:

*Rules for Epic Battle Cry using both boards and both sets of minis, terrain, etc. copied/modified from Memoir 44 Overlord.

*A random terrain generator after analyzing what was available.

*An army point system by figure and unit (allowing for weaker and stronger units).

* An army deployment system that can be used before actual scenarios are made up (I'll probably let Borg do that, but was disappointed that no one had posted any on BGG, except for one which lacked the info you'd need to run it).

*Updated Version I Command Cards to Version II (close, anyhow--I'll shuffle both decks together as we used to do before the M44 Overlord decks became available--that way both sides will have access to the few cards that are a bit different).

*A second player deck of Combat Cards (concept from M44, but almost most of the cards by me, with concepts from other Borg C&C games as well). Designed a deck of 20 and made up the physical cards on posterboard.

Wah-hoo!!! Ready to go...

(I'll post it all on BGG if I get a chance).
Old September 12th, 2013, 07:21 PM
3 GIFs in a Trenchcoat

Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscaper Guy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I've been GM'ing Pathfinder, playing Heroscape for the online Heroscape Season 9 and Classic League Pod Draft events, a few games of Magic the Gathering, a few solo Race for the Galaxy, lots of online Summoner Wars to play with Bender's in an IOS tournament.

"They are too numerous to fight. What shall we do?" "Fight anyway."

"You can never defeat another if you know not how to defeat yourself."
my tradelist
Old September 13th, 2013, 07:53 AM

I set-up Stronghold last night, looked at the board, gave a defeated sigh, and put it away.

Really stinks when school is back in session.

-insert signature here-
Old September 13th, 2013, 10:33 AM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

That sounds awesome, chas!

And that sounds all to familiar, nyys. Playtime has definitely shrunk with school starting.

We're playing a lot more quick games these days.

Speaking of, last night was El Paso. Fun little push-your-luck Western-themed game. Not amazing, but if you like Incan Gold (I do), but want to have a board and just a bit more happening, this is a good variant on that kind of game.
Old September 13th, 2013, 02:24 PM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

To keep in line with the purpose of this thread:
I recently pulled a couple old titles off the shelf, namely Gettysburg '88 (using the optional rules published years ago in The General magazine that really improve the simulation aspect of the game with minimal added complexity) and the original AH version of History of the World. I've also been playing Dungeon Roll a bit and made a DIY copy of Mascarade so I could giver it a test spin (not bad).

Now for the real purpose of my post:
I am on the fence about purchasing the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. I have read pretty much every review as well as the associated comments, and watched all the videos I could find. It looks pretty good but I am still unsure about it. I am confident that this is a game I would be playing mostly solo, either running one or multiple characters at a time.

Several of you have played it so I'd love to hear your thoughts, particularly as they relate to the complaint that there are not many meaningful decisions. I'm fine with the rolling of dice and the luck of the card draw aspect. I just want something deeper than Dungeon Roll, which is fun for what it is but almost plays itself most of the time.

Thanks in advance.
Old September 13th, 2013, 04:39 PM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbnbsmith View Post

Now for the real purpose of my post:
I am on the fence about purchasing the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game. I have read pretty much every review as well as the associated comments, and watched all the videos I could find. It looks pretty good but I am still unsure about it. I am confident that this is a game I would be playing mostly solo, either running one or multiple characters at a time.

Several of you have played it so I'd love to hear your thoughts, particularly as they relate to the complaint that there are not many meaningful decisions. I'm fine with the rolling of dice and the luck of the card draw aspect. I just want something deeper than Dungeon Roll, which is fun for what it is but almost plays itself most of the time.

Thanks in advance.
I don't quite get those posts about no meaningful decisions. It's really no different than any game where you go to a location, draw a card, do what it says.

The more players, the more options there are available. You run into a monster with your bard w/o a weapon, do you burn everybody's blessings, do you just take the hit, or does the wizard cast invisibility on you?

You encounter a monster, do you cast a spell with the wizard, or do you use your staff, if you do, do you discard it for the extra bonus, if the ranger or bard are in play do they use their recharge option to help?

I really think the guys that are complaining about not having options, are just looking for something to hate on, besides the art is a bit blah, except for the spells, that art rocks.

I can see in a solo game where the decision making might be quite a bit less, but don't you just solve that by running 3 characters solo, if you don't enjoy that?

Anyway that's my thoughts on the lack of decision making. I personally think that in a multiplayer game there's a ton of decisions to make, in a true solo game, I can see where they are coming from.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G

Last edited by Matthias Maccabeus; September 13th, 2013 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Undead Viking's review was pretty dumb since the things he doesn't like are in his fav game AH...
Old September 13th, 2013, 05:52 PM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

NYYS:

We just playtested my Epic Battlecry 150 game for the first time. It ran only 2 1/2 hours, and was lots of fun! We used 75% of the units available if you have two games. We're playing again after a dinner break, with different army building compositions as I allow for, this time after we set down the terrain!

I noticed you play BC150 "4th Edition." I think I have the First Edition; do you know what the differences are? I know for example that R. Borg changed firing at adjacent hills to remove their bonus, as it works say in C&C Napoleonics.

Thanks!
Old September 13th, 2013, 08:36 PM

No idea what the differences are between the two editions. I actually wasn't aware there was more than one for the 150th set. We've only just started playing (1st three scenarios) so I hadn't gone looking for more just yet.

-insert signature here-

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games