Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old May 12th, 2008, 06:21 PM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun
Fuel Prices feel a little like prison love!!!

Just a small rant...

Fuel has now hit 3.95 a gallon near me. This is beginning to actually hurt my wallet some.
When fuel went to 2.00, I said aaahhhh it will come back down.

When it hit three dollars I kinda went numb.

We are now approaching 4.00 a gallon and I am starting to feel it now not only in my tank but also in other products as well.

It is costing me 20.00 a week to just mow my lawn, used to be a couple of years ago I could have got it mowed for 20$. I know we have options, right now I drive an old Ford Explorer that does not get great gas mileage....could I trade it in? Yes, but the car is paid for and it really does not require many repairs.

And even if I chose to buy a new car, what to buy? Hybrids are still kind of expensive and it takes years to get your savings. A motorcycle only works for so long in the NorthEast, little fourbanger cars do not do well in our winters up here.

So what do I do? Buy one of these alternative fuel cars? Nothing really works that great yet and I do not want to get stuck with passing technology. While a sail on my car for windy days may sound good in theory for the most part it is a dumb idea as are some of the other ones out there right now. I want a fuel efficient car but there really are not a ton of optios right now.

So how about oil companies cutting their price? I have heard oil companies make about .08 cents a gallon, and the state gets like .50 or .60 cents a gallon....even if you did away with those I am still paying over 3$.

And the worst of it, where is all of this coming from? Yes I know China is growing, yes I know the middle east is in turmoil, but when was the last time you saw a picture of a burning oil well? The oil is still flowing yet it just keeps goign up.

I sure can't wait till somebody brighter than me figures it out. because this is really startign to stink. I hope we find a new energy soon that does not involve goat urine or some crazy thing and we get by all of this. Quadruple prices in as many years is not a good thing for our economy....sooner or later something has to give.

Where is Superman when you need him......

Sorry to rant but after my half hour commute today this is what I was thinking of all the way home.

Last edited by skyknight; June 26th, 2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: Fuel Prices starting to hurt....

I hear ya' Sky. I just filled up my Trailblazer @ $3.95/gal. I've been working an hour away lately and figure it's costing me around $17/day just to get to and from work. Next week I'll be 1 1/2 hours away

Oil companies are making record profits in the billions, so I think they are doing alright while the rest of us use our stimulus checks from the IRS to subsidize our extra spending on gas and food.

My sister told me yesterday that her family of five went to a burger place callled Schoops the other night and it cost them $48. All they got was burgers, fries and pop. She said not to long ago it might have cost them $30. She also told me that she had to buy fruit for my neice's tennis team. Among the other stuff, she grabbed a three pound bag of grapes and didn't know what they cost until she read the receipt. That 3lb bag of grapes cost her over $14!.

Didn't the terrorists say that their goal was to hurt the American economy?
Well they are getting what they wanted.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:49 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I'm with you, Hoss! The problem is that we've left a typical supply/demand economy and slipped into a scarcity economy (where the fear that an item will be unable to be purchased at any price whatsoever drives the rate). It also doesn't help that the dollar is devalued vis-a-vis other currencies at the moment. The solution is for the recent economic panic to subside. Of course, even if/when it does, it is possible that $4/gallon is here to stay (based on the perception of some that the price of gas was stable for too long and should have risen to this point over the last 20 years anyway).

~Aldin, who can't produce useful gas no matter how many chili cheese fries he eats

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:51 PM
Thanosiest Princess

Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Wind Lane is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

I just (literally, like, 15 minutes ago) called in an order for 8,000 gallons of diesel fuel for our tank here at the school district office. And even in that kind of volume it was quoted at $3.7825/gallon.

But there is good news! Both vendors I got quotes from said that gas prices look like they are going to drop significantly tomorrow. Usually that means a drop of at least $0.10. May not seem like much, but it's still better than what we've been put through lately.
Old May 12th, 2008, 07:52 PM
You can't go wrong with [insert thing you can't go wrong with here]

spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby! spidysox rolls all skulls baby!

Right there with you. I have been traveling an hour to school (one way) 2x per week and about 40 min. to work (also one way) the other 3 days, not to mention most of the friends of my family and the church we attend are also 30-40 minutes away and things are getting out of hand.These drives may not seem like much, but with todays costs it is getting insane. I have started carpooling with some co-workers and that has helped considerably, but no matter what, it still stings.
I have been of the belief for the last couple of years that the politicians were waiting till the election to do something about it. As you can see if you have been paying attention to the news, it has become a prominent part of Obama's and Clinton's platform's. And it will surely be a huge part of McCains strategy as well as whomever he is running against. Then when the prices come down even the slightest someone will attempt to take credit to gain our votes. Just my personal theory mind you.

"A good teacher is like a candle: it consumes itself to light the way for others." -Anonymous
Old May 12th, 2008, 08:00 PM
One time at band camp...

Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth Lord Pyre is a man of the cloth

I have very numerous 15 minute drives nearly every day of the week. They may seem short, but they quickly pile up...

Though seeing Skynight now, I almost feel lucky with 3.69 prices.

Almost.
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!

Yeah, Chicago has high prices too.

Some interesting points though... it's much more expensive in Europe, and has been for awhile. Bottled water (at vending machine prices), is more expensive than gasoline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:25 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Yeah, Chicago has high prices too.

Some interesting points though... it's much more expensive in Europe, and has been for awhile. Bottled water (at vending machine prices), is more expensive than gasoline.

While gas has been higher in Europe for a while, wasn't that because most of it was taxes to help pay for healthcare, unemployment and social security? I don't know exactly, but I thought I heard somewhere a long time ago that the prices in Europe was so expensive because of all the taxes.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old May 12th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Forum Moderator

ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby! ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby! ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby! ChilliDog rolls all skulls baby!

I've only being driving since January and have been so busy lately that the two days of working I can actually get in are only giving me enough for gas and food each week. And I'm 17.

Time to pull out my bike.

Guess who's back, back again? Chilli's back. Tell Skahen.
Old May 12th, 2008, 10:51 PM
I got "Oh Come on" 'ed

ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby! ParaGoomba Slayer rolls all skulls baby!

I ride a bike . The place where I applied for a job is within riding distance (I don't know yet whether if im getting the job, if I get the job it'll be my first one).

P.S. What about ethanol?

Circumcision? HIS body, HIS decision. A person should have the right to their own body. "Sometimes you're right but you're always an asshole." - Anonymous neg rep
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:10 PM
ATF Agent

ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby! ninthdoc rolls all skulls baby!

Hybrids are priced at such a cost that you won't get your money's worth unless you are driving 20,000 miles per year or so (I used to actually do this...). Fuel costs did push me to sell my 8 cylinder Dakota Quad Cab and buy a Sonata 2 months ago. I'm loving my much more fuel efficient car.

I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane.
Old May 12th, 2008, 11:27 PM
is late for dinner.

Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby! Nooblar rolls all skulls baby!

If we really are in a scarcity economy, this problem can be solved with four words:

ANWR

Actually, it would also take a huge deregulation of the oil industry in America. However, I don't see that happening any time soon with the upcoming field of political candidates.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General