Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old October 7th, 2011, 09:44 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: The Lost Altar

Well met!

The Gang of Four generally treats each game as an adventure. A large percentage of our games are free-for-alls (FFAs), which have much in common with dungeon crawls. We generally do not see the map before we play, having only a general description of the terrain or, from me, some small, cardtable-sized sample map, with the types of salient features that will appear on the larger map at chas' place. It's creation is a sort of practice for me, as I generally free build the map at chas' in advance or on that evening. And it is a big map (think Nadi). Also, it is my philosophy to have a healer in my army when playing FFAs. There is often time, while my opponents are otherwise engaged, to regenerate my heroes, which can be demoralizing to your enemies, and turn a problematic situation into victory. The Lost Altar is one of the best scenarios that has been created for the Gang (and I didn't come up with it ). Again, kudos to chas!

I'd like to thank all those who have commented, here and on my blog, concerning this scenario, and invite more of you to do so, on this and our other scenarios (http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ad.php?t=37028). Creating armies to cope with the unique circumstances of the scenario, as well as the opposing armies, is a joyous activity, and, I submit, more challenging than building for tournaments. And, through various devices, our scenarios make the list of viable units an ever changing, as opposed to a static, one.

Anyways, I wish you all a Happy Heroscaping Day!

Next Generation

Old October 7th, 2011, 10:51 AM

chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death!

BTW, our glyph draw pool will include all 16 official ones, including the dreaded Bolt of Witherwood--from the official online Prequel Scenario to the first D&D Campaign (the one where the ouriginal four adventurers facek Jotun). I haven't used it since soon after it first came out, in a two player game with K.

I don't expect all that many to be summoned, because we'll probably be too busy fighting over the first few that come out. I like to use diplomacy in my games, which might allow say, the first few players to get one and nicely step aside for another player, but my comrades don't usually go for that kind of thing! Its what I'd do if I won the first initiative spot anyway...

And so, the cares of the real world will melt away for a little while, as we share the miniature reality of the tabletop. The game does not really take place there, but in the minds of the players!
Old October 7th, 2011, 11:01 AM

kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla kolakoski is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by chas View Post
And so, the cares of the real world will melt away for a little while, as we share the miniature reality of the tabletop. The game does not really take place there, but in the minds of the players!
Well met!

And ones they are, too!

Success and survival in our 'scape adventures takes every bit as much and more discipline and courage as in tournaments.

Next Generation

Last edited by kolakoski; October 7th, 2011 at 11:34 AM.
Old October 8th, 2011, 08:42 AM

chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death! chas is hot lava death!

Well, its the morning after. After a five hour 15 round game that ended in suspense on the last order marker of the last round. The scenario works very well, including the modified glyph rules and the volcano. We all agreed that is has great replay value, because of the major variants (besides the usual player army selection and tactics), due to the amount and type of glyphs that come out on the altar, and the timing of the volcano eruption and the really fun placement by all players of the molton lava flowing down the mountain! I'm going to give a very short game summary here. On a later post I'll mention the half dozen rules tweaks we made as a result of this first play, and update the scenario on the first post with them.

We picked the glyphs from a new large gold lined black cloth bag I got in a new game store in Williamsburg, Brooklyn which taeblewalker and I visited in the afternoon before the game after lunch. Hats off to B:T:L Matt and BTM's Woman, who we met for the first time. They added good comradeship and zest to our game, and took some photos they may eventually post here of the map and some of the action packed battle events!

Game Summary

At the beginning of the game I suggested some diplomacy. If I was the first player I'd grap an initial glyph and then vacate the altar, so others could do the same, and the first few players at least could each get a glyph without losing half their army doing so. However, no one agreed. In the beginning of the game, I would stick to this publically announced plan, which would almost win me the game, as it turned out.

In this game, few glyphs came out, despite the good chance of their doing so, right up toward the end. But the volcano erupted right away after the first glyph was summoned, so we were placing lava the whole time, and even got to the point of using up my 26 Molten Lava tiles, and starting to put Lava Field down to replace the earlier ML's placed.

Kolakoski (K.) won the Start Zone placement initiative, and chose to enter on the opposite side of the volcano from the altar, the area I'd evaluated as the Worst Starting Position on the board, so he could grab the height of the mountain for Syvarris riding Theracus. So I placed second and set my own stat zones right where I would have had I placed first--in the swamp terrain closest to the altar. I would then grab the first glyph with Iskra, and trigger the immediate volcano eruption on Round One, although the Rechts did not come on to protect her!

K. got involved in a long fight with his neighbor B:T:L: Matt (M.) who was entering on his right in the corner. K. he killed M.'s Deadeye Dan, who missed his first few shots. Then it was a long fight between Marcus and the Romans vs Glads and Blasts. Meanwhile Tina (T.) was briging her large and powerful army on in the corner to my left.

Taeblewalker (T.) came on, carried his Rhogar to the altar riding Brunak. He killed my Kelda right away and tried to summon another glyph, which did not work for him. I pulled away from Tina's army, encouraging her to go for the altar and Rhogar, as I spend the next period fighting with all my order markers (OMs) against T. army, as he seemed committed to attack me until one of us went down. Luckily, the Iron Golem took Brunak out in one punch! Then the Rechts finally came on as I withdrew the bloodied Iskra, but although they ganged up on Mikka on an shadow hex she'd dropped about halfway to the altar, they could not harm her. T. brought up up Moriko to start taking them out, and Drake blocked off an choke point. I finally took him out with my two big guys (Shurrak and the Iron Golem, but he took Iskra out. I had to bring my Golem into it to pick up the glyph. Then eventually I was able to move up and take out the rest of T.'s many 110 point heroes except for Rhogar, who eventually died on the altar (Death by Tina), and T. was out of the game!

Meanwhile K. Wyvern was on the mountain, dumping Laglor and others onto the now flowing lava once per turn. I also nudged a brance of the lava toward me, although Shurrak killed figures but never got a knockback for the lava kill! By this time Matt and Tina were skirmishing with each other, and Marcus and the Romans had finished off the soulborgs near them, but been left stranded far away on the other side of the volcano from the main action. Syvarris had shot down from the mountain top, and lava was spreading out over the volcano to inconvenience Theracus, Syvarris, and the Wyvern.

I took K. aside in another room, and mentioned a strategy that I was evolving, as we had the only Lava Resistant or flying characters. I proposed to surround the altar with lava but not right adjacent to it, so the other two player left would be cut of from it, but it would still produce glyphs. About halfway throught the game Tina got her army to the altar, but failed to get a glyph time after time!

I had the only two Victory Points (VPs) still! One for Summoning a Glyph (Potion of Speed) and one for drinking it after switching it from the Golem to Sharwin. She proceded to drink it up right away for its second VP, so no one could get it away from me! Then she went to a high two spacer so the lava couldn't bother her, and proceded to play Emperor Palpitine, Arcane Bolting other players characters like Major x17 and Concan as they battled with each other hand to hand, and some incidental knights, who were now sneaking around to my side of the altar to take shots at characters of K. and T. Finally clearing the altar of enemies, T. got a second glyph! About Round 10 or so, she got three points and passed me two VPs. During this time Matt was eliminated, and K. stole one of T.'s glyphs, to hold it for 1 VP. The score was now Tina 3, Chas 2, and K. potentially 1. My last figure, a wounded Shurrack, staggered onto the final summoned glyph to block it, but T.'s 10thMA shot me down to my last wound, and I stepped away, to let the others fight it out. Shurrack was lated taken down by K. before he could step in and interfere one last time.

Finally on Turn 15, K. got Syvarris (who should not even have still been alive) to the altar, summoned another glyph, and ended the game in a tie: Final Score: Kolakoski. and Tina 3 VP each for the tie, Chas 2, Matt and T. Zero! The game had run from about 7 PM to 12 Midnight. Very nice. Tired but satisfied, we parted. T. drove the rest of the gang back to Manhattan on his way back to The Bronx! Best wishes to our two guests from MA, where they are well known in the Scape community up there, as they enjoy the rest of their weekend in NYC, and a safe trip back to you guys.

Meanwhile, we look forward to our regular next game. Taeblewalker will be hosting a Halloween themed dungeon crawl this month, and the brand new C3V Wave 1 will be legal for player armies (except for the Undead, who will appear a our Game Master's forces. Its been a while since we used any customs but hey--why not? Two of our Gang of Four are Inner Sanctum members for the C3V group (Sherman Davies and Taeblewalker). And we look forward to meeting a new local Scaper, who has just contacted us.

I do recommend the scenario, now that I've tried it out. Feel free to ask any questions you have about it.

Last edited by chas; October 8th, 2011 at 09:18 AM.
Old October 8th, 2011, 08:58 AM

Here are our playtest scenario rules changes after the first play, mostly minor tweaks, which have now been integrated into the scenario description up front in this threadl In the main they are just further clarifications on our new Volcano Rules. You can lift these right out of this scenario for your own games, too! I've been wanting to make up something like this since Vocanrran Wasteland came out, so now just call me Mr. Smoking Mountain. I note that my own collection of 36 ML hexes, with some Lava Field replacements after they were all placed, were enough to play out the scenario. The LF placement strategies are fun in themselves (as opposed to the earlier "straight" ML placement), and can even allow figures surrounded at the altar to escape by climbing the volcano, but it can be very dangerous! Note that the placement rules are meant to make the most of a limited number of lava hexes.

Playtest Notes: The Lost Altar

1. Alternate Initial Set Up (Used). Players roll for initiative just to set up their start hexes. Then the roll again for Round One Initiative.

2. The Volcano. After eruption, the Lava Field hexes count as Molten Lava hexes, which cannot be replaced later as other MLs with Lava Field.

3. The Volcano: Players who are eliminated (have no undeafeated figures left of the board) do not place Molten Lava (ML).

4. The Volcano: A Glyph alone in a hex covered by ML is destroyed!

5. The Volcano: A figure with Lava Resistant need not displace from ML.

6. The Volcano: A figure displacing due to ML takes no leaving engagements.

7. The Volcano: When the initial eruption causes the first ML placement, no further ML is placed at the end of that round. ML is placed at the end of every other game round; no further Volcano Rolls are necessary.

Last edited by chas; October 8th, 2011 at 09:23 AM.
Old October 8th, 2011, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Well, its the morning after. After a five hour 15 round game that ended in suspense on the last order marker of the last round. The scenario works very well, including the modified glyph rules and the volcano. We all agreed that is has great replay value, because of the major variants (besides the usual player army selection and tactics), due to the amount and type of glyphs that come out on the altar, and the timing of the volcano eruption and the really fun placement by all players of the molton lava flowing down the mountain! I'm going to give a very short game summary here. On a later post I'll mention the half dozen rules tweaks we made as a result of this first play, and update the scenario on the first post with them.

We picked the glyphs from a new large gold lined black cloth bag I got in a new game store in Williamsburg, Brooklyn which taeblewalker and I visited in the afternoon before the game after lunch. Hats off to B:T:L Matt and BTM's Woman, who we met for the first time. They added good comradeship and zest to our game, and took some photos they may eventually post here of the map and some of the action packed battle events!

Game Summary

At the beginning of the game I suggested some diplomacy. If I was the first player I'd grap an initial glyph and then vacate the altar, so others could do the same, and the first few players at least could each get a glyph without losing half their army doing so. However, no one agreed. In the beginning of the game, I would stick to this publically announced plan, which would almost win me the game, as it turned out.

In this game, few glyphs came out, despite the good chance of their doing so, right up toward the end. But the volcano erupted right away after the first glyph was summoned, so we were placing lava the whole time, and even got to the point of using up my 26 Molten Lava tiles, and starting to put Lava Field down to replace the earlier ML's placed.

Kolakoski (K.) won the Start Zone placement initiative, and chose to enter on the opposite side of the volcano from the altar, the area I'd evaluated as the Worst Starting Position on the board, so he could grab the height of the mountain for Syvarris riding Theracus. So I placed second and set my own stat zones right where I would have had I placed first--in the swamp terrain closest to the altar. I would then grab the first glyph with Iskra, and trigger the immediate volcano eruption on Round One, although the Rechts did not come on to protect her!

K. got involved in a long fight with his neighbor B:T:L: Matt (M.) who was entering on his right in the corner. K. he killed M.'s Deadeye Dan, who missed his first few shots. Then it was a long fight between Marcus and the Romans vs Glads and Blasts. Meanwhile Tina (T.) was briging her large and powerful army on in the corner to my left.

Taeblewalker (T.) came on, carried his Rhogar to the altar riding Brunak. He killed my Kelda right away and tried to summon another glyph, which did not work for him. I pulled away from Tina's army, encouraging her to go for the altar and Rhogar, as I spend the next period fighting with all my order markers (OMs) against T. army, as he seemed committed to attack me until one of us went down. Luckily, the Iron Golem took Brunak out in one punch! Then the Rechts finally came on as I withdrew the bloodied Iskra, but although they ganged up on Mikka on an shadow hex she'd dropped about halfway to the altar, they could not harm her. T. brought up up Moriko to start taking them out, and Drake blocked off an choke point. I finally took him out with my two big guys (Shurrak and the Iron Golem, but he took Iskra out. I had to bring my Golem into it to pick up the glyph. Then eventually I was able to move up and take out the rest of T.'s many 110 point heroes except for Rhogar, who eventually died on the altar (Death by Tina), and T. was out of the game!

Meanwhile K. Wyvern was on the mountain, dumping Laglor and others onto the now flowing lava once per turn. I also nudged a brance of the lava toward me, although Shurrak killed figures but never got a knockback for the lava kill! By this time Matt and Tina were skirmishing with each other, and Marcus and the Romans had finished off the soulborgs near them, but been left stranded far away on the other side of the volcano from the main action. Syvarris had shot down from the mountain top, and lava was spreading out over the volcano to inconvenience Theracus, Syvarris, and the Wyvern.

I took K. aside in another room, and mentioned a strategy that I was evolving, as we had the only Lava Resistant or flying characters. I proposed to surround the altar with lava but not right adjacent to it, so the other two player left would be cut of from it, but it would still produce glyphs. About halfway throught the game Tina got her army to the altar, but failed to get a glyph time after time!

I had the only two Victory Points (VPs) still! One for Summoning a Glyph (Potion of Speed) and one for drinking it after switching it from the Golem to Sharwin. She proceded to drink it up right away for its second VP, so no one could get it away from me! Then she went to a high two spacer so the lava couldn't bother her, and proceded to play Emperor Palpitine, Arcane Bolting other players characters like Major x17 and Concan as they battled with each other hand to hand, and some incidental knights, who were now sneaking around to my side of the altar to take shots at characters of K. and T. Finally clearing the altar of enemies, T. got a second glyph! About Round 10 or so, she got three points and passed me two VPs. During this time Matt was eliminated, and K. stole one of T.'s glyphs, to hold it for 1 VP. The score was now Tina 3, Chas 2, and K. potentially 1. My last figure, a wounded Shurrack, staggered onto the final summoned glyph to block it, but T.'s 10thMA shot me down to my last wound, and I stepped away, to let the others fight it out. Shurrack was lated taken down by K. before he could step in and interfere one last time.

Finally on Turn 15, K. got Syvarris (who should not even have still been alive) to the altar, summoned another glyph, and ended the game in a tie: Final Score: Kolakoski. and Tina 3 VP each for the tie, Chas 2, Matt and T. Zero!

Syvarris was indeed dead. It was my Rhogar that was flown in.

The game had run from about 7 PM to 12 Midnight. Very nice. Tired but satisfied, we parted. T. drove the rest of the gang back to Manhattan on his way back to The Bronx! Best wishes to our two guests from MA, where they are well known in the Scape community up there, as they enjoy the rest of their weekend in NYC, and a safe trip back to you guys.

Meanwhile, we look forward to our regular next game. Taeblewalker will be hosting a Halloween themed dungeon crawl this month, and the brand new C3V Wave 1 will be legal for player armies (except for the Undead, who will appear a our Game Master's forces. Its been a while since we used any customs but hey--why not? Two of our Gang of Four are Inner Sanctum members for the C3V group (Sherman Davies and Taeblewalker). And we look forward to meeting a new local Scaper, who has just contacted us.

I do recommend the scenario, now that I've tried it out. Feel free to ask any questions you have about it.
Well met!

The Wyvern performed as advertised, but I would have done better to follow soon after with my Romans when Matt broke off, so that they could be in position to go for the Altar themselves, and/or thin out the opposing armies, before time ran out. As it was, as chas said, they weren't a factor after our initial skirmish, and it was all I could do to get in position to pick up summon and pick up another Glyph, the latter on my last OM! The eruption of the Volcano on the first summoning was extremely inconvenient, as I was driven from my initial position of advantage by fear that my units on the Volcano would be cooked by the cooperative placement of Molten Lava by my opponents (even though they never actually attempted it).

Again, this was a wonderful scenario, and the Volcano and Lava placement mechanism will work wonderfully for Kolakoski Studios' next production - yet another remake of Arthur Conan Doyle's The Lost World.

Next Generation

Old October 8th, 2011, 05:57 PM

Actually, The Lost World was my first name for the scenario! What K. doesn't know was that I was maneuvering my Kurrak to take a bite out of Theracus' behind, which would have probably ended his final ploy! But just then Tina was hot and heavy on the altar, so I decided to go get her. After I took final shots from her and moved off the altar, she was unable to move on due to lava blocking it off from her troops, and K. moved in for the final occupation of the altar. I had been uncertain how to play this, but in the end it didn't matter much how I played it--I think.

Again, a game where more glyphs came out and the volcano erupted later would have been an entirely different game, as would a different Round One initiaitive order.

Last edited by chas; October 10th, 2011 at 11:27 AM.
Old October 11th, 2011, 08:53 AM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Again, a game where more glyphs came out and the volcano erupted later would have been an entirely different game, as would a different Round One initiaitive order.
I totally agree with this statement... I believe the match outcome can vary greatly when you factor in when the volcano erupts. It was certainly an effective map, and although the map appeared too large, in actuality it wasn't because it didn't take long at all before players met opposition. It was certainly a well designed map to play on with interesting play mechanics. Awesome job on the construction, Chas. Also, congrats to Tina and Kolakowski on their shared victory!

If I may sidetrack for a moment, I would like to say thank you to Chas, Taeblewalker, and Kolakowski for inviting us to play Heroscape with them. It was great to meet all of you and pass the time playing a game we all love. New York was great and a lot of fun too. We intend to come back again, soon.

Lastly, I stopped in Compleat Strategist and it is an amazing store that easily trumps the Boston Compleat Strategist store.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old October 11th, 2011, 12:47 PM

Matt,

Glad to hear that you and Tina had fun, both here and in Manhattan. If you do return to NYC and have some free time, let us know ahead and we'll see if we can set up another game! Or if nothing else, I can show you around this very historic neighborhood, and you can see the great view from the Promenade.

Last night Kolakoski entertained at a fashionable East Side restaurant, singing smoky ballads with a pianist that had a smooth touch on the keyboard! A pal and I had a great dinner and enjoyed the evening!

Chas
Old October 11th, 2011, 12:51 PM

Well met!

And, if you are going to be in Manhattan again, I, too, have a few places to show you.

Next Generation

Old October 25th, 2011, 09:29 PM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

My apologies for taking so long on uploading the pictures, but I kept forgetting to do so. Anyhow, here they are...

This is the map after the match as you can see where the lava trailed throughout the course of the battle.

A knight of Weston displays great courage as he duels the Iron Golem.

Yet another courageous knight of Weston battles against the wicked beast, even at the peril of the seeping lava.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old November 2nd, 2011, 02:54 PM

Nadi knows what's in an order marker Nadi knows what's in an order marker Nadi knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
And it is a big map (think Nadi.)
LOL... I would think more like... Dr. Weirdscaper.

Visit the SHS Map Codex!
(Codex downloadable into a spreadsheet for easy self-sorting)
Note to self: One ladder for every TWO levels!!!!!!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios