Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old January 30th, 2011, 08:07 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!
Are there other games that use the 3 skulls 2 shields dice?

I was curious if anyone knows of any games other then HeroScape, HeroQuest, and Battle Masters, that use the same type of dice combat system...

I ask because I am thinking about producing and selling a game I made... if further testing shows that it plays well. I have another way to do the combat results... but I am thinking of just using the same 3 Attack : 2 Defense dice system, my own attack & defense logos for the dice of course, along with a 3rd for when the "blank" side comes in to play.

Does MB/WOTC have a patent on the dice system? lol... some how I doubt they bothered, but if anyone knows otherwise please let me know...

My game is kind of like taking HeroScapes DNA, and knocking it half way back to being chess... it is abstract and some what simple. I will disclose more when I have found out if my game is worth a crap after more play testing...

Last edited by Draconious; January 31st, 2011 at 09:04 AM.
Old January 30th, 2011, 08:17 PM

obfuscatedhippo has disabled reputation
Re: Are there other games that use the 3 skulls 2 shields di

There is an RPG called 'Desolation' that uses a dice mechanic that basically says 'roll any type of die (.. d8, d6, d10) and if the result on the die is Even, you have a success .. if it is odd, then it is not.'

So if you rolled 3d6 and had results of: 2, 3, 6 .. you would have two successes (from the 2 and 6). The task you are attempting might require a certain number of successes to actually work.

White-Wolf's original 'Storyteller' system was similar. You would roll a number of 10-sided dice .. and if you rolled a 6+ on the die it was a success. Basically this was a 50/50 chance .. as 1-5 did not succeed and 6-10 did. You counted successes like Desolation.

When I played 'Desolation' I used the original Red attack dice .. with skulls being successes. It worked great

Sorry I don't have a board-game example.

Peace,
*Kai
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:41 AM

motoko is surprisingly tart

I think HeroQuest have the same system. d6 with 3 skulls, 2 shields, 1 blank. But it's from MB, too. So I don't know the thing with the patent.
Old January 31st, 2011, 02:27 AM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

The Before Heroscape thread has a list of some games that have utilized similar dice systems. These were developed by the same guys that created Heroscape of course but some list foreign game makers as well that are probably not limited as MB, Hasbro, etc are in the US.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old January 31st, 2011, 12:35 PM

Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness Auggest wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconious View Post
I was curious if anyone knows of any games other then HeroScape, HeroQuest, and Battle Masters, that use the same type of dice combat system...

I ask because I am thinking about producing and selling a game I made... if further testing shows that it plays well. I have another way to do the combat results... but I am thinking of just using the same 3 Attack : 2 Defense dice system, my own attack & defense logos for the dice of course, along with a 3rd for when the "blank" side comes in to play.

Does MB/WOTC have a patent on the dice system? lol... some how I doubt they bothered, but if anyone knows otherwise please let me know...

My game is kind of like taking HeroScapes DNA, and knocking it half way back to being chess... it is abstract and some what simple. I will disclose more when I have found out if my game is worth a crap after more play testing...
If your just looking for dice in quantity I have a pretty large amount under "misc" section of Heroscape on my website. I'm not sure price off the top of my head but I think the 8 packs from D&D master set are $.99 and the 12 packs from the other master sets are $1.29. If you need even more than what is listed I might have them after I balance inventory.

......Andrew

i R da speling god
Auggie's Games
Follow us on Facebook Auggies Games Store and Twitter @auggiesgames
Old January 31st, 2011, 01:53 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!

I already have dozens of sets of Scape Dice... I use to sell the game parted out. I am not looking to buy dice, I am looking to see if it is moral/leagal to use the same combat dice system... with only minor changes, in a game that I will be selling. I would say profiting from, but that is not likely lol...

The combat dice in Craig Van Ness's games could possibly have a "mechanic" patent on them... and mine being as similar as they are going to be would not be leagal and I will have to revert to my D20 or D6 combat method that I do not really like as much as the Skull/Shield Combat Dice.

Mine will be closer to Claw and Shield, but it uses Shapes/Symbols that a bit more abstract... so not really claws/shields, they are just what I based the shape on.

If my game is worth producing/selling 100 or so copies. I will be ordering custom dice with my own logos... or they will not fit/work with the game at all. I might be taking this one as far as box art etc.. the works...
Old January 31st, 2011, 02:15 PM
Trainer of n00bs

Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth Cavalier is a man of the cloth

There are many games that use dice with symbols to resolve combat, I can't really see how anyone could claim to own that mechanic. As long as you are not using anyone else's art, I see no infringment.

Battlelore Dice:

Tomb Dice:

Neither of these are exactly like Scape, but they show that symbols are readily used. The thing you seem to be worried about is the ratio of Hits to Blocks; again, any number of games may actually have the same inbuilt ratios.

Last edited by Cavalier; January 31st, 2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old January 31st, 2011, 02:16 PM

Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draconious View Post
I am looking to see if it is moral/leagal to use the same combat dice system... with only minor changes, in a game that I will be selling. I would say profiting from, but that is not likely lol...

The combat dice in Craig Van Ness's games could possibly have a "mechanic" patent on them... and mine being as similar as they are going to be would not be leagal and I will have to revert to my D20 or D6 combat method that I do not really like as much as the Skull/Shield Combat Dice.
Using symbols on dice to represent hits and such predates recorded history* and thus is free from copyright (or patents, which would apply only to the hex interlocking physicality). Your game would have to be very similar to Heroscape to fall foul of copyright - most likely even requiring blatant theft of artwork, characters or text.
Old January 31st, 2011, 04:04 PM

This is a render I quickly made for my prototype rule book:

I might have them custom made as D12 or D20... because I may need more symbols, but I am trying to keep it simple so these are likely to stay.

I am less worried about the symbols themselves, since that would be proprietary art work. I am more worried about the way it works, maybe they would try to protect their wording of the rules. Highly doubt it though...

I have it functioning EXACTLY like heroscape red is possible hits, and the blue cancels them out the rest get through to do damage.

Would this be too close to Hereoscape?
Would it put people off from wanting the game??
"oh he just ripped the scape combat dice I am not gona buy it!"

I personaly think more games should use it! ...its so friggen easy and simple!

Although I started the game off with squares, was even going to make it work on a chess board, I wound up making it use hexigons was easier to do movement rules and count range. I now believe this is why scape used hexigons.

The more I try to make my own game I keep slipping toward making part of it like heroscape... Heroscape is the perfect game it needs to stay alive.
Old January 31st, 2011, 04:14 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

Cool looking dice man! I'll be looking forward to hearing more about your game.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Classic HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion