Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old April 21st, 2015, 03:49 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by japes View Post
I'm on the lookout for a Co-op game to play with the family
I recommend Flashpoint. Everyone gets to be a firefighter, rescuing people (and pets) from a burning building.
Another great one is Elder Sign. It's a Lovecraftian game where you are trying to stop an ancient one from destroying the world.

Old April 21st, 2015, 04:01 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
I got Pathfinder for Christmas a year and a half ago. I wanted a Co-op game to play with the family. Pathfinder ACG wasn't what I was expecting nor hoping for. The gameplay isn't stellar. The fun is mostly in building up your character RPG style, which requires grinding through a bunch of missions that feel repeated, just with different names on the cards. The game is really intended to be played by a dedicated group that meets regularly to play through the missions together. It's not intended to casually play a mission every so often. This review on Miniature Market sums up exactly how I feel about the game.

If you're still interested, I'd be interested in selling it. I've got the original base game, Rise of the Runelords, (which also includes the first expansion deck) as well as the 2nd expansion deck.
I'm on the lookout for a Co-op game to play with the family but because it did seem like a game where the fun was the build up I was curious if the staying power was there. Your info was very helpful so thanks but I think I may be leaning more away now.
We've liked Mice and Mystics quite a bit. Co-op dungeon crawl game in a fantasy setting that also includes some RPG elements. This is more like what I thought PACG would be.
Old April 21st, 2015, 07:51 PM

Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness Jormi_Boced wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Mice and Mystics would be my recommendation.
Old April 21st, 2015, 07:58 PM
Online HS Season 12 Champ, But Still Three-N-Two

MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth MegaSilver is a man of the cloth

With you want a fast-paced co-op, Tiny Epic Defenders is a great game for it. 20-30 minutes.
Old April 21st, 2015, 08:06 PM

belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby! belgarath rolls all skulls baby!

I don't know what ages you are playing with in your family but mine really likes the D&D adventure games. We have Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon.
Old April 21st, 2015, 08:20 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Incredibly bright 7.5 year old boy.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old April 21st, 2015, 08:58 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
I recommend Flashpoint. Everyone gets to be a firefighter, rescuing people (and pets) from a burning building.
I second this motion. Flashpoint is a good family co-op game for sure.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old April 21st, 2015, 09:16 PM
A Man of Taste

japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer japes is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I second this motion. Flashpoint is a good family co-op game for sure.
What is the difficulty in this one. Is it a meat grinder that you occasionally get lucky in or what. I don't want it to be too easy but I don't want my little guy to get frustrated and never want to play it.

Would I want it to be everything I love...sure...but that's just not realistic so I'm going to focus on finding things that will make me unhappy and work on fixing those.
Old April 21st, 2015, 09:19 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

It has different levels. You can start out easy and make it harder. The first time we played on easy and we just dashed in the building rescuing people, not bothering to put out the fire, and for some strange reason we lost when the building burned down. I had no idea firefighters were supposed to fight fire!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old April 21st, 2015, 09:39 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Yeah, there are various levels of difficulty to be able to try out depending on how difficult you want it.

Also, there are several expansions to add some new types of buildings to fight fires in that offer some new challenges. It's still the same game mechanically, but the expansions add some nice little tweaks to make it fun.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old April 22nd, 2015, 10:13 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Pandemic is always worth considering for co-ops too.

As for me, snuck in some unemployment gaming yesterday - three player game of Starcraft. Fun area control game that felt similar to the Game of Thrones board game, but with more resource management and deck building. I played the hive-type race and managed to get a second victory point area in my control and had a lead when we had to call things early.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old April 22nd, 2015, 12:27 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Incredibly bright 7.5 year old boy.
@japes - you preciously said, "... a Co-OP game to play with the FAMILY."

I'm assuming that these sessions will include more then just the two of you.

I would definitely give a +10 recommendation to "Flash Point Fire Rescue" as being Family-Friendly, since it's got a real life theme that everyone can relate to, unless they got a phobia from personal experiences. But would ask you to think about what are HIS interests and the interests of the other potential players ( your spouse, significant other, relatives, friends, neighborhood kids, etc. ).

Personally, I love "Shadows Over Camelot" and "Battlestar Galactica" as Co-Ops, because I am familiar with the themes, but think they may be too 'old-fashioned' for a brilliant 7.5 y.o. They are you (the team minus any traitors / cylons) versus the board and random cards.

Star Wars is still quite popular right now and will become even more so when the new trilogy of movies are released by Disney. the fairly new Fantasy Flights' "SW: Imperial Assault" is a good one since it is basically a Dungeon Crawl with the characters from the Sci-Fi movies and novels pasted onto it. It's often been compared to and described as a SW version of "Decent."

I've also heard great things about "Mice and Mystics," from my friends with young children, which I would expect to appeal to that age. Also Tom Vassel has spoken highly of "Forbidden Island" and "Forbidden Dessert" as good introductory Co-Op games, if you wanted to go the less expensive route.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE

Last edited by Johngee; April 22nd, 2015 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Hilighted game titles.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games