Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day
National Heroscape Day Events listing and discussion about National Heroscape day.

Notices

Old September 18th, 2010, 02:39 AM

warriorneedsfoodbadly is surprisingly tart
SoCal Slaughter! 2010 attendance/prizes plus

I have placed everyone as a "yes" for attendance that has been active in the tournament discussions. Let me know if you need your status changed.

I've reserved the clubhouse for Oct 16th.
Location is 14960 Sherman Way, Olive Tree Apartments, Van Nuys, 91405.
Hours are 8AM - 11PM. I was told that if necessary we may enter before 8AM.
I have enough tables/chairs for 14 games, so if more than 28 contestants sign-up we'll need more equipment.
Anyone wanting to stay for more gaming after the tournament is more than welcome!
There is a small kitchen for food prep. and storage.
There is a boys' restroom and a girls' restroom.
If you want alcohol, I suggest you wait until after the tournament and bring your own supply.
There is a good deal of parking (do not use the church parking @ Kester intersection) but try and carpool because there is a lot of competition for those spots. I'll place my car in such a way to hold down 2 spots for when needed and my space inside the complex will be available to those with a lot of loading/unloading to do.

Confirmed Details:

Location: warriorneedsfoodbadly's clubhouse in Van Nuys (map)
Date: Saturday, 10/16
Time: 10:00 AM check-in, 11:00 AM begin play, tournament until 4:00 PM or 5:00 PM (no breaks for food, so bring lunch/snacks!), free play afterwards, rumors of beer and pizza later in the evening

Rules:
Format: swiss/simple, either 5 matches or 6 if more than 32 people, timed matches (see below), partial scoring, dual army play (see below)
Cost: $5 per contestant for prizes and rental of space
Armies: 520pts, second army is optional, 24 spaces
Marvel: not allowed
Glyphs: not allowed
Must Bring: Your army or armies (see Dual Army Play below); army cards; dice; order markers; wound markers; special markers if appropriate
Can Bring: Snacks/drinks; a contribution to the prize table

Quote:
Originally Posted by Official Tournament Rules

Dual Army Play

Bring two 520 point armies: a primary army and a backup army. There can be as much overlap between the two armies as you like--that is, there can be only one unit's difference, or no units in common whatsoever, or anywhere in between.

When you receive your tournament card, record both armies. Your primary army goes in the [probably red] section; your backup army goes in the [probably blue] section. Immediately before you begin play each match of the tournament, briefly switch cards with your opponent so that you can see what army you will be playing against, and your opponent can do the same.

For the first two matches of the tournament, use your primary army; the backup army is not used at this point. Before the third game, and before each game thereafter, everyone who has lost at least two games may choose to retire their primary army and begin using their backup army. If you choose to do this, draw a line through your primary army on your tournament card. Your decision to retire your primary army is irrevocable; once you do so, your primary army is not used and you must use your backup army exclusively.

Your choice to retire your primary army is made before assigments are given for the upcoming match. Thus, you will not know either the next map you will be playing on, nor who your opponent is (or what army they will be using). Your decision is based solely on whether you feel that your primary army has performed poorly enough that you would be better off switching to your backup army.

Switching armies is entirely optional, and therefore you do not have to bring a backup army if you do not wish to. You cannot switch to your backup army unless you have lost two games. Your decision to switch must be made during one of the windows allotted for switching and at no other time. Once you switch, you cannot switch back. If you honestly don't have enough figures to field a backup army, please contact the tournament organizers and we will make every effort to help you out.

Avoiding Duplication

Duplication of Opponent: For the first match, if your randomly chosen opponent is someone that you came to the tournament with (i.e. family member or friend), tell the tournament organizers and they will arrange a switch. In later matches, you may play either someone you came with or someone you've already played. That's just the way the tourney ball bounces.

Duplication of Map: In any match, if you and your opponent have played two other matches on that map (i.e., if you have played two games on it, or your opponent has played two games on it, or you have played one game on it and your opponent has played one game on it), notify the tournament organizers and they will arrange for you to play your match on a different map.

Mistakes/Questions During Play

If you make a mistake during play in your opponent's favor, such as forgetting to use your bonding, forgetting to add a bonus for height, special powers, etc, or just moving somewhere you didn't mean to, the mistake stands. Your opponent may allow you to correct the mistake (go ahead and take the bonding turn, roll the extra die, change your move, etc), but certainly is not obliged to. It's a tournament. Strict rules apply.

If you make a mistake during play in your own favor and your opponent catches you, you must immediately reverse the mistake (reroll all your dice if you rolled too many, return to your starting point if your move was illegal, etc). If your opponent doesn't catch the mistake until after s/he begins his/her next turn, the mistake stands.

All dice rolled shall be agitated or shaken in some manner, either in a dice tower, cup, or simply shaking them in your hand. Please, don't simply flop them out of your palm onto the table. Try to insure that all your dice are rolled on a flat surface. If any of your dice are "cocked" (i.e. not lying flat) or roll off the table, you must re-roll all of them. (Again, your opponent can show you mercy at his/her option.)

If your figure won't fit, it can't stop there. Period. No "it mostly fits," no "it's almost flat on the board," no "stinger denial is so cheesy." Sorry. (Again, your opponent can be nice to you.)

If you and your opponent disagree as to line of sight, just roll off with the d20's. No need to make a big deal about it.

If you or your opponent has a rules question or clarification that you can't settle between you, solicit the opinions of other players until you find 2 others in agreement, then take that as a final decision. To be clear: once you find 2 other people who agree with each other--regardless of whether or not they agree with you--stop asking. Feel free to start with the tournament organizers; many of them are very knowledgeable about the game, the official Hasbro FAQ, and the rules discussions at Heroscapers.com.

Time Limit Per Match

At the beginning of each match, the tournament organizers will announce the start of the match. After 45 minutes, the tournament organizers will call time. At this time, finish the current round that you and your opponent are playing. For instance, if you just started the round, play all 3 turns. If you are currently just finishing turn 3, that will be the end of your game.

After the match is complete, score the game according the partial scoring rules.
20/25

Yes
wnfb
S1R ARTOR1US
Xotli
Xn F M
GamerHusband
I Heroscaped Your Mom
Everybody Loves Raelin
CharosInCharge
WreakLoosE
hextr1p
robbdaman
RenMan
Maginating(via SimiGameKnights)
Detrimentalman
hivelord
Hivelord's Pop
Leotheanimal87 plus 1
Counterstrike
SgtHulka

Maybe
King of the Marro
SlikkRikk
boom
SSX
+1 SgtHulka

No
+1 w/Leotheanimal87
LoneHero2008

Donations

http://www.miniaturemarket.com/ $10 gift certificate X 20
http://www.wizards.com/ (1)Wave 12 and (3) DnD Masters
http://www.housemousegames.com/index.html
$25 gift certificate

Maps
Volunteered:
hivelord: Road Rampage, Jagged Causeway, Invasion, and Fire Isles
wnfb: Highways and Dieways, Arctic Divide [normal snow/slippery ice], Hot Heights and Sidewinder
Detrimentalman: Mole Hills and Embattled Fen
S1R_ART0R1US: Fossil
GamerHusband: Quasatch Playground

Suggested:
BOV Maps
Suggested by S1R_ART0R1US
Maps by RoninValentina
Pretty much every map you could possibly imagine

Prizes
hivelord (?), Xn F M (Plano boxes) and robbdaman (repaints), Xotli (booster), GamerHusband (booster), Hextr1p (4 boosters)

Last edited by warriorneedsfoodbadly; October 14th, 2010 at 03:12 AM. Reason: prizes
Old September 18th, 2010, 03:01 AM

King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker
Re: SoCal Slaughter! 2010 attendance/prizes plus

Maybe (probably yes I'm not missing another one of these)

If I do make it, (I won't know until a few days before hand) then I can volunteer to bring terrain. I had enough to make two fairly large maps at our last tourny.

EDIT: Going over my figures I believe I'm short on a squad of Rats. Did someone take home an extra squad last week?

King of the Marro is Killer Bee...
aboard
<<<Oblivion>>>...

Last edited by King of the Marro; September 18th, 2010 at 03:20 AM.
Old September 18th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Alright! Should we talk about maps?
Old September 18th, 2010, 11:33 AM

GamerHusband rolls all skulls baby! GamerHusband rolls all skulls baby! GamerHusband rolls all skulls baby! GamerHusband rolls all skulls baby!

I nominate Turret Rocks simply because it is my favorite BOV map. If needed my group can bring a map this year and also a prize. Last year we brought nothing and felt kind of bad not contributing.

Proud to be a C3G Ally!!

Gamerhusband's customs comics thread
Old September 18th, 2010, 06:45 PM

Counterstrike has disabled reputation

you can add me to the yes list (Jared Lesueur)
Old September 19th, 2010, 01:35 AM

hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness hivelord wears ripped pants of awesomeness

For now you can add Hivelord's Pop to the attending list as well. Also I can probably 2 or three maps depending on what they are. Do we want BoV or are we not that picky?

Also, I can probably bring some form of prize.

[COLOR=Green]Online Heroscape record: 13-12[/COLOR]
[IMG]http://i50.tinypic.com/8zfzgj.gif[/IMG]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=23292"]My epic 15 pound homemade ceramic dice tower.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=5351"]My mega-maps.[/URL]
[URL="http://www.heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=26271"]Heroscape: The BOGO of All Time.[/URL]
Old September 19th, 2010, 01:48 AM
Under Taro's Banner

S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla S1R_ART0R1US is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

As for maps, road and lava speeds up play (), and I really want to throw out some BtfU maps in the lineup.
-Rift Valley by Ronin_Valentina. 1 RotV, 1Vw, 1RttFF map used at GenCon
-Invasion by LongHeroscaper. 1SotM, 1FotA, 1 TJ used at GenCon
-Fossil by R˙chean. 1 SotM, 1 RttFF map used at GenCon
-Embattled Fen by Gamebear. 1 SotM, 1 FotA map that is one of my favorites.
-Can't See the Jungle by Dignan. 1 RotV, 2 TJ map that is BoV approved but manages to shake things up.
-Fire Isles by yagyuninja. 1 RotV, 1 VW map that is compact and plays well and is another one of my favorites.

For a BtfU map I was thinking of Kaltengeist by mad_wookiee or Jagged Causeway by Dignan. Both use road and TT (I haven't played either, but my preference is Kaltengeist based on looks). As much as I'd like to use a BtfU map with VW, there just isn't that much terrain/LoS blockers in them (although I've certainly tried it out). I'm a fan of Turret Rock as well for a simple 1 MS map., but as KotM pointed out below, this one is no good without glyphs.

Last edited by S1R_ART0R1US; September 19th, 2010 at 02:40 PM.
Old September 19th, 2010, 02:16 AM
Search and Rescue Expert

Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xotli is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I've got pretty standard responses:
  • SSX and I are both definite. (The smaller animal is not quite old enough to come. Next year for sure, at least to watch.)
  • I have a whiteboard and markers, if they're required.
  • I'm okay with any map, except Ember Canyon. Hate that map.
  • I'd really prefer not to have to bring a map, but I can be pressured into it if you absolutely need me to.
  • Still have the color laser, so can print out stickers/cards/start zones/whatever.
  • Want to point out early that the partial scoring list needs to be updated (again) for new units.
  • Updated the top post with some typo corrections and formatting tweaks.
  • Am very excited!

The only thing that's different for me this year is that I can't be doing as much organization as I did last year ... we have to move at some point and we're looking at houses, so I won't be able to be online as much as I was last year. But I'm definitely here and available for whatever's needed. If I seem unresponsive, somebody just shoot me an email or something. (I think sending me a PM sends me an email ... I'll double check that. Or several of you know my email addy, I think. Or my AIM screen name, FTM. Or any other method you prefer. )

EDIT: Hey, look, I wasn't getting an email when I got a PM. Fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vasel
And I've seen some people on the Internet seem to have a problem with mixing this with the rest of the game, which makes no sense to me, because, I mean, you already are having knights fight robots, how is throwing Spider-Man into the mix that big of a deal?
You should not read this blog.

Why I Left the C3V
Old September 19th, 2010, 05:04 AM

SlikkRikk knows what's in an order marker SlikkRikk knows what's in an order marker

Hi guys - I'm a maybe as I have both a time conflict and a baby due a bit after that time. If both of those things work themselves out okay, I'll be there!

My Recent Plays:
Old September 19th, 2010, 09:49 AM

Leotheanimal87 is surprisingly tart

Count me in for sure, I shall be bringing two people with me to play is that ok? I might be able to bring a prize not sure yet I'll let you know for sure as the tourney gets closer. Also King of the Marro. I gave you your rats back at the tourney we had last week, so try to think what you did with them after if that helps.
Old September 19th, 2010, 10:05 AM

LoneHero2008 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

I'm still seeing if anyone will be willing to take me up there, I can't go if I don't get a ride due to lack of Driver's License. If you're willing to give me a ride then please send me a PM so I can give my address.

PS: Will any trading be taking place before/after the tournament? I want to know so I can bring my heroscape stuff and get some units I'm looking for.

Last edited by LoneHero2008; September 19th, 2010 at 10:35 AM.
Old September 19th, 2010, 12:31 PM

King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker King of the Marro knows what's in an order marker

Just an observation but I don't know if Turret Rocks and Elswin Plateau should be used if there's no glyphs. Both of those have elevation on one side of the map and a glyph on the other side to balance out. Without glyphs it's just a battle for height on half the map...

King of the Marro is Killer Bee...
aboard
<<<Oblivion>>>...

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Events > National Heroscape Day