Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old October 7th, 2009, 09:31 PM

Laupow Woo who?
Question 510 Point TTO Army help!

Hey all!

I plan on attending the Tree Town Open Tournament, and it will be my first Tournament. But i need some help, being this is my first tourney, I don't know what to bring for an army. It is a 510 point army, and I am a pretty casual scaper, so I have x1 of all figures accept:

Wave 4 - Soulborgs & Elves, Greeks & Vipers, Heroes of Trollsford
Wave 6 - Shades & Orcs, Archers & Kyrie
Exclusives
Flagbearers (I do have Acolarh, he was a gift from my friend)

I also have extra of:

Wave 1 - The IX Roman Legion (x2), Grut Orcs (x2)
Wave 8 - Soldiers & Wolves (x2)

I was thinking due to my lack of commons, that I should probably bring an elf army. But I am not sure, so I am asking that someone help me out.

Thanks!

~The glass is neither half full, or half empty, it is just twice as big as it needs to be.~

Old October 8th, 2009, 07:59 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
Re: 510 Point TTO Army help!

You have a couple of options. It looks like you could actually make a decent Soldier army:

Marcus Decimus Gallus - 100
Romans Legoinnaries x2 - 200
Me-Burq-Sa - 250
10th Regiment of Foot x2 - 400
Airborne Elite - 510

That army doesn't look too shabby at all. Lots of synergy going on there.

Or, you could always go with a strong group of uniques:

Major Q9 - 180
Major Q10 - 330
Raelin (RotV) - 410
Krav Maga Agents - 510

Bonding squads could give this some trouble if the maps are small, but this is pretty much the creme of the crop when it comes to uniques. I suppose swapping out Q10 for 10th Regiment x2 might actually give it a bit more versatility.

I like both of those far better than the Elf Wizard army (at least until you get up to 550 points or so).

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

I'm with Killercactus saying NOT to take an elf army. While fun they lack the competitive edge they need to win.

So at 510 points this is another decent option:

Taelord
Raelin
Krav
2x 10th Foot

Basically, put Taelord and Raelin close enough together to buff the same units at the same time. Set up the Krav to lure in your opponents and get the 10th Foot in front of the Krav (preferably in one of the auras as a screen and your main force when they get close. It is hard to out range the Krav so you may have to take the offensive. However, the 5 Defense Stealth Dodge Krav will bring them into range.

I haven't play tested this army but I have theory scaped this army many times and it is decent enough to have a good time.
Old October 8th, 2009, 08:56 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCU Master 2007 View Post
Taelord
Raelin
Krav
2x 10th Foot
I've played it at 500 points with 4th Mass x2 and it worked great. Just gotta watch out for Deadeye Dan....

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:17 AM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Making the Krav and Raelin the core of your army is a very, very strong choice. The constitution of the rest of the army is totally subjective, within the parameters laid out in the "How To Build A Competitive Army" threads. I would field what I call an "old school" combined arms force with unique squads for this tourney. Also, given the paucity of special attacks in the current metagame, I can afford to "throw in" one of my personal faves - the Ninjas of the Northern Wind.

110 NotNW
110 Airborne Elite
100 Kozuke Samurai
100 Krav
80 Raelin
10 Isamu

The Ninjas, backed up by the Kozuke, are the melee screen for the Krav, as well as useful for special missions due to their unique skills. Read the Books and Unit Strategy Articles for each of the units above. Each army/terrain situation is unique, and this army is designed to be flexible and balanced between range and melee - able to quickly exploit the weaknesses of whatever army it faces. In any event, good luck!

David
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:01 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
You have a couple of options. It looks like you could actually make a decent Soldier army:

Me-Burq-Sa - 250
Airborne Elite - 510

Since you have 2xLegos/10th I'm going to assume you like playing them and second the recommendation for this army. Lots of good things to do here and it passes both the hex-test and the filler test. Generally speaking, competitive armies use the starting zone efficiently and this almost taps your hex limit. Also, there's no filler here. This is a true 510 point army (which is more Order Marker efficient than a 500 point army with 10 points of filler).

~Aldin, noting MDG+AE+Height=four attacks of 5 at range 8

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:19 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Anyone who's seen me respond to questions like this before already knows what I'm going to say, but here it is:

The best melee army component you have in your collection is TKN and the Marrden Nagrubs. Ideally, you would beg, borrow, or buy a third set, which makes the possible armies even stronger. But even without that, you have some very good options. At 510, my favorite is:

220 Tor-Kul-Na
60 Marrden Nagrubs x2
80 Raelin RotV
50 Marro Warriors
100 Krav Maga Agents
510, 16 hexes

That's a well-balanced army that has no glaring weaknesses. Playing well with TKN takes a little practice but he's very fun once you get the hang of it.

killercactus's recommended soldier/warlord army is very strong, as well.
Old October 8th, 2009, 03:55 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun

Well met!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
Making the Krav and Raelin the core of your army is a very, very strong choice. The constitution of the rest of the army is totally subjective, within the parameters laid out in the "How To Build A Competitive Army" threads. I would field what I call an "old school" combined arms force with unique squads for this tourney. Also, given the paucity of special attacks in the current metagame, I can afford to "throw in" one of my personal faves - the Ninjas of the Northern Wind.

110 NotNW
110 Airborne Elite
100 Kozuke Samurai
100 Krav
80 Raelin
10 Isamu

The Ninjas, backed up by the Kozuke, are the melee screen for the Krav, as well as useful for special missions due to their unique skills. Read the Books and Unit Strategy Articles for each of the units above. Each army/terrain situation is unique, and this army is designed to be flexible and balanced between range and melee - able to quickly exploit the weaknesses of whatever army it faces. In any event, good luck!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Anyone who's seen me respond to questions like this before already knows what I'm going to say, but here it is:

The best melee army component you have in your collection is TKN and the Marrden Nagrubs. Ideally, you would beg, borrow, or buy a third set, which makes the possible armies even stronger. But even without that, you have some very good options. At 510, my favorite is:

220 Tor-Kul-Na
60 Marrden Nagrubs x2
80 Raelin RotV
50 Marro Warriors
100 Krav Maga Agents
510, 16 hexes

That's a well-balanced army that has no glaring weaknesses. Playing well with TKN takes a little practice but he's very fun once you get the hang of it.

killercactus's recommended soldier/warlord army is very strong, as well.
Dok is the man. I am currently using all of these in the Mineola mixed Marvel tourney in Mineola, NY with great success (see my last few blogs). My previously suggested army is strong, but Dok's is, of course, better, except on maps that penalize double spaced figures.

David
Old October 8th, 2009, 04:48 PM

Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness Obsidian wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
220 Tor-Kul-Na
60 Marrden Nagrubs x2
80 Raelin RotV
50 Marro Warriors
100 Krav Maga Agents
510, 16 hexes
Quote:
Originally Posted by kolakoski View Post
110 NotNW
110 Airborne Elite
100 Kozuke Samurai
100 Krav
80 Raelin
10 Isamu
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCU Master 2007 View Post
Taelord
Raelin
Krav
2x 10th Foot
Quote:
Me-Burq-Sa - 250
Airborne Elite - 510

Major Q9 - 180
Major Q10 - 330
Raelin (RotV) - 410
Krav Maga Agents - 510
I will be attending TTO as well (this will only be my 2nd tourny), and the first army Killercatus recommended scares me the most. Your OMs will be quite efficient and if you can set up the 10th next to Marcus on height with some Romans as a meat shield...you will be golden. Maybe Braxus will give you problems. I could see a good Vydar Pod player being trouble for this too, but what army doesn't have its weaknesses?

See you in Tree Town.

Old October 8th, 2009, 06:44 PM

Laupow Woo who?

Thanks for all the help!

Quote:

Me-Burq-Sa - 250
Airborne Elite - 510

This is probably the army I will be going with, but thanks to everyone else for the suggestions.

After rereading the thread about the Tourney, I have another question. What exactly is "Swiss Style"?

~The glass is neither half full, or half empty, it is just twice as big as it needs to be.~

Old October 8th, 2009, 06:53 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Swiss tournament

It's just a system for pairing players each round so that players who win more play other players who win more.
Old October 8th, 2009, 07:13 PM

Laupow Woo who?

Ok, thanks for the description. Sorry if that was a stupid question.

Quote:
See you in Tree Town.
And I hope to see you there too, Obsidian.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion