Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old January 27th, 2015, 08:06 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Last night I played:

Zombie Dice x 2

Blueprints - neat little game where you use different color dice to build small 6 dice structures based on the blueprint card you are dealt. You keep you card behind a screen so opponent's don't know exactly what you're building. It was the end of the night, so this was only a 2 player game of it as others were into other games. Not the best as a 2 player game, much better with 3 or 4.

Snowdonia
- This is a worker placement game based in the 1890's in Wales, where each player (5) represented a company providing labor to help excavate rubble, lay tracks and builds stations up the Mt. Snowdon. There are cards placed around the board where some of them are track cards and some of them are station cards. There are rubble cubes on the back side of the track cards that must be excavated before that track can be built and there are spaces on the station cards where you can turn in resources to build parts of the station. You need to collect resources like iron ore to be able to convert it to track rails to be able to build a section of track. You need to collect stone to build parts of the stations with and you need to clear rubble and you can convert that to stone. You can buy a train card at some point that will give you a special ability as well as providing you an opportunity to get an extra worker on turns if you turn in coal for it. There are contract cards you can collect that have one-time abilities, as well as means of getting victory points at the end of the game by having a certain amount of rubble, or laying so many tracks or building so many parts of buildings etc. There is variable weather that occurs every round, where it can be sunny, which improves excavating and track laying abilities, or it can be rainy and decrease those abilities, or it can be foggy, where you can't use those actions at all that round and have to do other things. Also, there is a game controlled external company that is competing with all of us, so every round there is a chance of an event happening that clears off rubble, lays tracks or closes off buildings to build on. Great game.

Also, I got my kickstarter copy
from Small Box Games. Can't wait to get the cards sleeved and get the games played. The artwork on the cards is unbelievably awesome.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old January 27th, 2015, 11:30 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Yes! This is probably the most beautifully designed and executed game in my collection. The cards are gorgeous, and it has nice little stamped metal coins!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old January 27th, 2015, 11:33 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Yes! This is probably the most beautifully designed and executed game in my collection. The cards are gorgeous, and it has nice little stamped metal coins!
Did you notice the new Among the Stars KS, @Dad_Scaper ? I believe it just started today.

Still playing mostly Splendor and Sheriff of Nottingham at home, although need to brush up on my Wild West Exodus rules for a tournament Sunday with LoB.
Old January 27th, 2015, 11:37 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Just watching the Rahdo video now. I loved the game, but I need to know if the 2 player game delivers. Also I want to know how much stuff is actually in the box for $40.

edit: the rahdo video is exclusively about the 2p game. Excellent.

edit 2: It looks really good, and I do really enjoy AtS at 3+ players, but I'm not going to pull the trigger. Too many unplayed 2 player games already on my shelf, and this looks like a GC release. I'm sure we'll have even more games by then, with even more (sadly) unplayed. Exponentially so if we get into AEG Game Night again.

= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; January 27th, 2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old January 27th, 2015, 01:10 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Nexus Ops last night. Great lighter weight war game--love the shifting objectives and the tight board.
Old January 27th, 2015, 10:43 PM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Couple more campaign missions for Imperial Assault.

This time we started with Dark Obsession. This is the mission that allows me to gain access to Vader. This mission seems extremely favored towards the Imperials. First off starting with 8 threat allowed me to deploy an option Royal Guard group. This paired with protection of the Troopers from the mission rules made it very difficult for the Heroes to even get an attack on Vader. Then the extra threat thats gained later in the mission just allowed me to keep the pressure on while Vader just walked through to where he needed to go. The Imps had this won by the end of round 4.

The second mission we played was Garkaahn's side mission. The Heroes needed to disable 3 terminals so they could rescue a friendly Wookie. The hero players have learned a ton of the course of the campaign. They played this mission as perfectly as they could and won by the end of round 3. I had made numerous mistakes with my positioning of figures and the order I activated things. Plus Mak had gained Decoy and that just put them in a position where they just couldn't lose.

Well things are really starting to heat up. The heroes had been saving XP and credits. Not sure if it was a good idea or not. I had been slaughtering them in previous missions because I was all decked out with upgrades while they were saving. Now that they have finally spent some of that XP and credits they are much more threatening than before. Mak scares me the most right behind Garkaahn. So far Ive made great use of the Subversive Tactics class and have kept them strained to the max most games. Now I just need to find ways to deal with those killer weapons they are getting.

4 missions left.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
Old January 28th, 2015, 12:28 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:

Yes, this is certainly one that I sleeved before even thinking about playing. The art is so cool. The coins are great too. I finally have a game with some bling

I played a solo game to learn it and get the feel of the rhythm of turns. Pretty easy to pick up and some neat decisions as far as cards to play, money/cards to draw, feats to go for, wars to go for etc. I imagine the small expansion sets will add more interesting things as well.

Old January 28th, 2015, 12:55 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:

So does the new pirate game, "Black Fleet," even though in dim light it's difficult to distinguish between the silver and gold. Thanks @Gurei-Ornery for introducing this one to me in GB. I'm still trying to convince my small family gaming group that they should at least try it. Aaaarrrgh, matey!

obtw: I just finished posting a lengthy comment about it on BGG, but I'll have to go back there to copy the LINK and then edit this to add it here:

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old January 28th, 2015, 07:47 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Quote:

So does the new pirate game, "Black Fleet," even though in dim light it's difficult to distinguish between the silver and gold. Thanks @Gurei-Ornery for introducing this one to me in GB. I'm still trying to convince my small family gaming group that they should at least try it. Aaaarrrgh, matey!

obtw: I just finished posting a lengthy comment about it on BGG, but I'll have to go back there to copy the LINK and then edit this to add it here:

Yeah John, Black Fleet is a good one that I enjoy. I can see what you mean about the colors of the coins being hard to tell sometimes. The coins in Omen: Reign of War Deluxe Edition are fortunately all one color, bright shiny copper.

Old January 28th, 2015, 08:29 AM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:

Yes, this is certainly one that I sleeved before even thinking about playing. The art is so cool. The coins are great too. I finally have a game with some bling

I played a solo game to learn it and get the feel of the rhythm of turns. Pretty easy to pick up and some neat decisions as far as cards to play, money/cards to draw, feats to go for, wars to go for etc. I imagine the small expansion sets will add more interesting things as well.
I took a look into Omen, but my dissatisfaction with Kickstarter prevented me from pulling the trigger. I wonder if this will hit retail.

I played a fantastic breakthrough battle of Memoir 44 with my dad. We don't usually play these longer battles match style (play the same scenario twice -- once from each side -- and compare total scores), but I was hitting a brutal hot streak with my dice in the first game that made for a quick battle. Rolling tank-grenade-tank dice against an armor unit, then striking 2-3 hits around the board, makes me want to pull a blanket over my head. My dad just laughed and rolled with the punches, and the second game where he won took some of the sting out of it. I've been on the receiving end of a hot streak. I recall a game of Hoplomachus where I couldn't even activate my Champion before the game ended, and I just stared in shocked silence for several moments.

It's been a while since we put Memoir 44 on the table, but it's always a blast when we do.
Old January 28th, 2015, 09:03 AM
Enjoy the Sausage

It won't. @justjohn (Smallbox Games) does not distribute that way.

= =
Old January 28th, 2015, 09:15 AM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlhsl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Quote:

I took a look into Omen, but my dissatisfaction with Kickstarter prevented me from pulling the trigger. I wonder if this will hit retail.

I played a fantastic breakthrough battle of Memoir 44 with my dad. We don't usually play these longer battles match style (play the same scenario twice -- once from each side -- and compare total scores), but I was hitting a brutal hot streak with my dice in the first game that made for a quick battle. Rolling tank-grenade-tank dice against an armor unit, then striking 2-3 hits around the board, makes me want to pull a blanket over my head. My dad just laughed and rolled with the punches, and the second game where he won took some of the sting out of it. I've been on the receiving end of a hot streak. I recall a game of Hoplomachus where I couldn't even activate my Champion before the game ended, and I just stared in shocked silence for several moments.

It's been a while since we put Memoir 44 on the table, but it's always a blast when we do.
I think it's the best way to play Memoir 44 because of the set up time and all that (not that it's too crazy), but it makes that time spent more efficient when you just switch sides afterward and hit it again. I don't own it but a lot of my buddies in my group do. Been too long since playing this fun game. I also like Command and Colors Napoleonics in the same game system.

I'm also being a bit more wary/selective when it comes to kickstarters. I have backed John's games before so I knew he runs a good KS. I have heard positive things about Omen for years and heard Hemloch was pretty good, so that made it extra easy for me to back these.

Quote:
It won't. @justjohn (Smallbox Games) does not distribute that way.
Sometimes he has stuff for sale from his site at Small Box Games, but definitely not going to be seen at a retailer. He may run another kickstarter for it in a couple years.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games