Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy
C3G Legacy Archive of all the original discussions and workshops from the first stage of C3G.

Notices

View Poll Results: What Dalek Armor power do you like best? (See the OP)
Armor Option 1 0 0%
Armor Option 2 1 11.11%
Armor Option 3 0 0%
Armor Option 4 5 55.56%
Two Shield Defense 2 22.22%
Tough 1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old April 29th, 2019, 10:18 AM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth
Re: C3G Doctor Who Workshop

I could see tying the regeneration to the TARDIS and it being a once per game power.
It is pretty iconic to leave out but I left it out of the other Dark Judges after Death.
Old April 29th, 2019, 10:55 AM
Just A Head

MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
I've never been a big fan of card powers that should take days to perform, take place during a hour long battle. It's why Deadpool can be KO'ed in our game, he'll heal up and be back for the next game, but it will take a little time to regrow his legs after Juggernaut rips him in half. I also don't consider every figure that falls in a game to be dead, just no longer able to continue the fight for that one battle.

So I don't see that kind of power as necessary for the Doctors for our game system. If a Doctor falls in battle, it doesn't need to be the end of the Doctor's story and the start of a new one. Even if it is, the new Doctor doesn't have to stand up at that moment and get knocked down all over again by the same guys. That isn't something I've seen happen in a 1 hour episode.

I would think if a Doctor were to fall in battle, he would bide his time and return with with new allies and a new plan on how he is going to win round 2. Seems ripe for scenario rules. Draft Doctor #1 and a XXX point team to fight team YYYY. Win and continue to the next game with a new army vs. new badguys, but using the same doctor. Lose and you have to fight team YYYY again using Doctor #2 and a new team. Play until you defeat 3-4 enemy teams. Run out of doctors and you lose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
I think a string of regenerations would be unthematic. At most, I could see one Doctor regeneration per game. If that's too hard to implement or too much of a text burden, I'd consider skipping it as a "happens between battles" type of thing like Yodaking is saying.
Honestly, I was burying the lede a bit, but I'm kind of coming over to this side of the fence. Regeneration is iconic, but I don't know if it needs to go on every card and happen every battle. Hopefully doing multiple versions of the character will be enough to capture the concept.
Quote:
As long as they all have their subtitles to they're playable together (time shenanigans) I'll be happy.
This is actually next on my docket of things to discuss. The thing is, Multi-Doctor episodes are usually way rarer than regeneration episodes. In 287 televised stories, there have been 5 I'd consider Multi-Doctor ones. (The 3 Doctors, The 5 Doctors, The 2 Doctors, Day of the Doctor, and Twice Upon A Time) It's a pretty special thing when it happens. The current run of comics under Titan has been the most Multi-Doc friendly material of all time, and even they've only done 3 summer crossover events. To be most accurate to the source material, it would probably make having them meet each other be a special thing that doesn't happen every game. I've thought about the idea of a Moment Event Hero that would allow you to bring 3 of them together, for example.

That being said, if people think it would be more fun to play them together, I don't see too huge a problem with it. It is a thing that happens in the show, and I must admit the idea of fielding 14 Doctors at the same time does get me excited.

Whatever we do though, I would like to come up with a solution for the Master. I firmly believe that (on a thematic level) the Master should be able to do everything the Doctor can. So if the Doctor can team-up with himself, so can the Master. But the Master doesn't have clearly numbered incarnations like the Doctor does. Most incarnations are just referred to by their actor's name. So I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do for him.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I could see tying the regeneration to the TARDIS and it being a once per game power.
It is pretty iconic to leave out but I left it out of the other Dark Judges after Death.
Honestly it could be work but I think the Tardis will be pretty text-heavy just trying to do Tardis stuff. I can't think of any other design that could really enable regeneration though.
Old April 29th, 2019, 11:13 AM

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Ideally you could buy something akin to a Regeneration Spell. It would be unique so you could only regenerate once per game.
Perhaps the TARDIS could come with a Regeneration Glyph.
Old April 29th, 2019, 12:45 PM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

That regeneration Glyph might be a good call. You could just have the basic Doctor power start you with a Sonic Screwdriver Equipment Glyph and one Regeneration Glyph for all Doctor Who cards you control (use uncommon language so they have a max of one). Then if the glyph is single-use, it means one regeneration per game, max.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old May 2nd, 2019, 03:20 AM
Just A Head

MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun MrNobody is a penguin with a machine gun

I could see a Glyph of Regenerative Energies fitting in there somewhere if we wanted to do it as once-per-game. We’d have to check and see what would be shorter text-wise; doing that or just saying it’s once per game. I think regenerating once per game might feel a lot more “correct” than being able to burn through ~2,000 years of in-universe history in a single game.

Any ideas about the Master? What if he had mechanics that echoed regeneration but were different? Body-stealing, running away and coming back in a new form, etc.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 07:38 AM
Best There Is! - C3G Con 2020 Champ

IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer IAmBatman is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I think once per game (however we accomplish that mechanically) makes sense for both the Doctor and the Master.

C3G can be played with official Heroscape, but it's not recommended.

DISCLAIMER: C3G claims no ownership of the characters or artwork used for C3G customs. All rights for the characters belong to their respective publishers/creators. C3G cards are not intended for sale, and C3G does not authorize any party to profit from C3G cards.

Old May 2nd, 2019, 12:22 PM

Skyver knows what's in an order marker Skyver knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
I think once per game (however we accomplish that mechanically) makes sense for both the Doctor and the Master.
I also agree with this. Having multiple Regenerations per game is just too much. Or it can be a between-battles thing like Yodaking mentioned. That idea has credence especially because regenerations usually take their toll on the Doctor, so having them come back instantly good as new seems a little unthematic.

I don't think it should be tied to the TARDIS, as people won't always be fielding them together.

As far as drafting multiple doctors in the same army at once, I don't think there needs to be a restriction on that. If someone wants to field 14 doctors, let them. If they want to field 2, 3, or if they feel that only one should be in the battle at a time, that should be up to the player's preference. People who care a lot about theme will automatically go with what makes most sense to them. Others like the feel of epic games between icons. After all, we're talking about a game system where Superman can square off against Darth Vader.

Sorry I haven't been more involved in the discussion. I got carried away working on AotP stuff... But I'm still excited about Doctor Who. I may actually be getting some Cybermen and/or Daleks soon.

Last edited by Skyver; May 2nd, 2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 01:39 PM

Not really seeing the point of regeneration if you can draft all the Doctors at once.

I like that regeneration being tied to the TARDIS. Then if you want to regenerate, you pick up the TARDIS. Also the cost does not end up on any one Doctor or all.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 02:31 PM

Skyver knows what's in an order marker Skyver knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Not really seeing the point of regeneration if you can draft all the Doctors at once.

I like that regeneration being tied to the TARDIS. Then if you want to regenerate, you pick up the TARDIS. Also the cost does not end up on any one Doctor or all.
You have a fair point, but I think that issue can be resolved fairly easily.

Removing regeneration as a mechanic, as suggested by some, is the most obvious. But I can think of a couple of other ways we could make it work.

For example, you could allow a Doctor figure to regenerate only if you have another Doctor figure not on the battlefield. This means that if you have all the doctors out, none could regenerate. (The thematic implication being that all regenerations happen 'off-screen'). But if, for example, you have all but the 9th and 12th doctors on the battlefield, then any Doctor who bites the dust could regenerate into either one of those. After both have entered the battlefield, there are no more Doctors in your reserve which means no more regenerating.

If out of order regenerations bother you, you could simply say that a Doctor may only regenerate to their successive incarnation. If this were the case, then in the example I mentioned above only the 8th and 11th Doctors would be capable of regeneration during the match (into the 9th and 12th Doctors, respectively). This is much more thematic, but also very restricting from a strategic point of view. It just depends on how important you want the characters to reflect the source material.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 03:01 PM
Just A Head

Honestly, I'm still more resistant to the idea of fielding multiple Doctors than I am to the idea of regenerations. Multiple Doctors in the same place isn't usually something that just happens. It's usually the work of some outside power bringing them together (Time Lords, the Moment, the TARDIS, etc.) or because space and time are collapsing or something like that, and it's usually made very clear that it isn't supposed to be happening. That's why I like the idea of having an Event Hero or something to bring them together, because it's very much treated as an Event with a capital E.

But if people want to field all the Doctors together at the same time, and all it takes is assigning them Secret Identities, who am I to stop them, you know? It gives everyone the option to play how they want. That being said, I think the same argument can be applied to regeneration. If we break the general rules of the show and say that Doctors can meet up every Tuesday afternoon like it's nothing, why can't we bend the rules a bit and say the Doctor can regenerate 14 times in a game? People who want to play it that way can, and people who don't want to mess with it don't have to.

Also, I just don't see limiting regeneration to the strict canon order ever working. It would require we literally go from Doctor 1 to Doctor 2 and so on, when the ones that most people are interested in are at the end of the line. Plus, thematically, it's pretty accepted that who the Doctor regenerates into is based on the circumstances of their previous life. So if you change the circumstances of their life and death, I imagine you'd change the result of their regeneration. A 12th Doctor who died from getting smashed by the Hulk might not turn into the 13th Doctor we know, so I don't feel the need to stick to the canon order so strictly.

EDIT: As for regeneration being tied to the TARDIS, I think it's an acceptable idea (The Doctor certainly tries to be in the TARDIS when he regenerates and the 1st Doc had a line about how it helps the process) but my main worry is that the TARDIS card is going to wind up being more about helping the Doctor regenerate than being about doing TARDIS stuff.

Last edited by MrNobody; May 2nd, 2019 at 03:19 PM.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 03:33 PM
Just A Head

@Tornado What would you think about using the Watcher (white ghost guy) from the 4th Doctor’s regeneration into the 5th as our regen enabler? It’s a pretty deep cut from the show’s history, but it’s literally a character that helps with regeneration. You could draft it to give yourself 1 regen, without having to weigh down the cards for the TARDIS or the Doctor.
Old May 2nd, 2019, 03:40 PM

Yeah, if that is the way you want to go. I like it better on the Tardis. One stop shopping.
Otherwise I am looking at a couple Doctors, the Tardis, probably a couple or few Companions and Watcher before I have some semblance of a Doctor build, at least one I want to play.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Marvel Legends HeroScape > Comic Hero Custom Creations > C3G SuperScape > C3G Legacy