Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Notices

Old September 17th, 2007, 02:40 PM

DarkSpade Woo who?
Watching heroscape grow up

I've been doing wargaming for the last 10 years. I've been terrain building off and on during that time too. Since so many people in this community haven't done any wargaming outside of heroscape, it's been kinda funny watching this community grow up.

Face it guys, you've grown up. You're no longer board gamers. Your war gamers now.

But war gaming is expensive!

How much have you spent so far?

War games have long FAQs!

Last I checked, heroscape more than a few pages.

War games constently come out with new versions every few years!

Heroscape is only about 3 years old, and it's on its third rule book. We also get new rules everytime a new terrain set comes out.

War gaming requires painting and terrain building!

Not all of them any more. And, we do have an entire forum dedicated to painting and terrain making here.

"Y'know, I sort of assumed this hero of destiny thing would involve a lot less devastation in our wake."
Links to terrain making guides
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...c.php?p=280715
Old September 17th, 2007, 02:55 PM

bad_calvin is surprisingly tart
I have been "war gaming" for close to 20 years now and have never really had as much joy out of a game then I have with Heroscape. I use to love Rouge Trader (wh40k), Vor, Warzone, Battletech, etc.

The thing is (and it took a while to realize) the other games have more detail then I need to just sit down and play a fast game and enjoy. The selection of time periods and unit types in Heroscape is unmatched! I can have an orc horde vs the 4th Massachusetts. I can have giant mechs trying to take out werewolves.

The terrain is moduler. What I mean by this is I can pretty much build any board I want (including lots of custom) as long as it has the hex spacing and such. Allowing me to have any backdrop I want. Distant Future or a Fantasy past.

I can't say enough good things about Heroscape.

I don't consider it "growing up". I consider it evolving into a better fit. Heroscape is my fit for sure.

The only thing that would make Heroscape better imho besides more units and terrain is.

A heroscape book of scenerio's and campaigns with lots of background on the universe of Valhalla.
Old September 17th, 2007, 03:05 PM

Madd_Mugsy has disabled reputation
Re: Watching heroscape grow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSpade
You're no longer board gamers. Your war gamers now.
Ack! We're grognards
Old September 17th, 2007, 03:06 PM

HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker HSisforcoolkids knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_calvin
The only thing that would make Heroscape better imho besides more units and terrain is.

A heroscape book of scenerio's and campaigns with lots of background on the universe of Valhalla.
Yes! I would pay $15 for a book like this, if it had enough in it. I would also like it if they included rules from all of the terrain expansions to date.

And DarkSpade, I call it a boardgame so that friends and other potential players won't be scared away. I agree with your point though.
Old September 17th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
I don't want to grow up.

I want to be young forever...

Newb.
Old September 17th, 2007, 03:16 PM

willwall54022 has disabled reputation
This is my first wargame ive watched my older brother play a wargame be4 idk if it was warhammer or not they were classified into like red,blue, and yellow ranks if that makes sense. i guess i really never played them because my brother wouldn't let me touch his or play with them for that matter

Some people say sexy and some people say willwall54022
Old September 17th, 2007, 03:43 PM
"our design team knows what it's doing"

NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth NecroBlade is a man of the cloth
Quote:
Originally Posted by willwall54022
my brother wouldn't let me touch his or play with them for that matter

Heroscape still isn't a wargame, IMHO. The rulebook isn't anywhere near as big. You don't have to paint or customize anything (though there are more often than not amazing results when our members do). And it still is less expensive. I've spent about $1000 on 'scape and I'm almost fully caught up on everything that's been released (near me) so far. I've seen packs for other games that are $40+ for three unpainted figures. I can buy more figures for less, and I don't have to purchase any paint.

Arena of the Valkyire - Help create Heroscape's next Master Set!
Trade List
C3V Brainstorm
never not funny
Pepperony - 14/09/13
Old September 17th, 2007, 03:49 PM
LNoE Hero or Zombie?

ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker ej knows what's in an order marker
HS isn't a Wargame.

Wargamers are elitist nerds.

We're cool.
Old September 17th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
I think the rules are far more simple, intuitive and robust than other wargames (although I only have experience with Warhammer fantasy and 40k). Every time they want to make a new unit, they release a 20 dollar manual. With Heroscape, it's just printed on the card.

Being able to mix and match sets based simply on your whims and taste also set it apart, and make it a bit closer to a game like Magic, but we don't have the problem of sets going completely out of print that a card game like that does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old September 17th, 2007, 04:20 PM

Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker Purplebeard knows what's in an order marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik
I think the rules are far more simple, intuitive and robust than other wargames (although I only have experience with Warhammer fantasy and 40k). Every time they want to make a new unit, they release a 20 dollar manual. With Heroscape, it's just printed on the card.

Being able to mix and match sets based simply on your whims and taste also set it apart, and make it a bit closer to a game like Magic, but we don't have the problem of sets going completely out of print that a card game like that does.

Well said!

I'm going on close to 20yrs now for WGing, (old.old.old. sigh.) and I find HS to be the most streamlined game I've ever set my grubby paws on. All of the goodies I love from it (cool terrain/figure customization, unique figures, flexibility) and none of the expense or mind numbing volumes of occasionally used information. The point about Magic is BingoJoy on, I just would love it when a set from a good system went out of print. Forever.

Plus it's the only game my wife will play with me besides Catan.
Old September 17th, 2007, 04:44 PM

that guy has disabled reputation
Why Heroscape is better than your game reason 542:

With the point system it uses I don't see power creep ever being a problem.
Old September 17th, 2007, 04:47 PM

DarkSpade Woo who?
Quote:
Originally Posted by that guy
Why Heroscape is better than your game reason 542:

With the point system it uses I don't see power creep ever being a problem.
better than who's game?

And honestly, I can't think of a single minatures game that doesn't use a point system of some kind.

"Y'know, I sort of assumed this hero of destiny thing would involve a lot less devastation in our wake."
Links to terrain making guides
http://www.heroscapers.com/community...c.php?p=280715

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion