Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Notices

Old March 2nd, 2016, 09:02 AM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Anybody played Tide of Iron: Next Wave?

It's on clearance at Mini Market right now and it looks pretty cool.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 09:36 AM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
I'm not one to regret my own decisions in life or wish I'd done things differently, but I will be the first to acknowledge that akden's got it pretty good.
"The grass is always greener..."
I'm pretty sure in terms of game-playing opportunities, @Gurei-Ornery has us all beat.

Not lately, but I do alright.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akden

But speaking of game playing, I did get to a local game night tonight. I arrived a little late, but I was able to play Among the Stars, Medieval Academy, and Lost Legends. Tonight's theme was drafting, so we went through a progression of drafting games (I got there too late to get in on Sushi Go and 7 Wonders). I do like Among the Stars, but my favorite was Medieval Academy. It adds a neat mechanic of using the cards you draft to move your token along various tracks. Some score at different times, either giving you positive or negative points based in your position relative to others on the track. It's easy to learn and seems like it could be an excellent gateway-style game, while still being fun for gamers.

And speaking of drafting, I'm still hunting down a copy of Blood Rage. I will own this game.

I wish I would have known, I would have given you my copy of Blood Rage. I ended up selling it to someone that came into the store recently. I didn't even get a chance to play it. Medieval Academy sounds fun, I'll have to give it a try.
Old March 2nd, 2016, 09:41 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

They had Blood Rage on the shelf at Games & Stuff in Glen Burnie, last time I was down there. It might be 45 minutes out of your way before the tournament on 3/12, but you could get it then.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; March 2nd, 2016 at 09:42 AM. Reason: /threadjack
Old March 2nd, 2016, 10:32 AM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post

I wish I would have known, I would have given you my copy of Blood Rage. I ended up selling it to someone that came into the store recently. I didn't even get a chance to play it. Medieval Academy sounds fun, I'll have to give it a try.

D'oh! Was it the Kickstarter version?

Continuing the thread hijacking: I'm jumping on the bandwagon a little late. I had actually dismissed the game until I had the chance to play last weekend. For anyone not familiar with Blood Rage, you play as a Viking clan, and your goal is to gain as much glory (victory points) as possible, frequently by dying in the fires of Ragnarok. You also gain glory by winning battles and completing quests. What I enjoyed the most is that you start each age (round - there are 3) by drafting a hand of cards. These include battle cards that can increase your strength in battle, upgrades that provide stronger units and monsters, and quests that enable you to score points by area control. The cards are what make the game, because you can really combine them in so many ways. There are some that allow you to steal points from others, some that give you glory for having your warriors die, some that give you points for each surviving warrior, and so on. The entire game is spent struggling for dominance and pillaging villages for rewards, only to have others jumping in to fight you and try to steal your spoils. It is a very tight, tense game with elements of Euro resource management, area control, and Ameritrash theme. It shares some similarities to Kemet, but it plays faster, and I prefer the drafting to the open market for upgrades in Kemet. Both are great, but I much prefer Blood Rage. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes direct competition (haven't played it with two, though) and cool minis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
They had Blood Rage on the shelf at Games & Stuff in Glen Burnie, last time I was down there. It might be 45 minutes out of your way before the tournament on 3/12, but you could get it then.
That may be a worthwhile stop. I'd love to have it for open gaming after the tournament. I actually went ahead and bought two expansions at our local store because I knew I would want them with the game (just an example of my acquisition disorder).
Old March 2nd, 2016, 10:43 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

I'd like to give it a shot after the tournament, too, if you have it by then.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old March 3rd, 2016, 12:24 AM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
<~snip/snip~>
That may be a worthwhile stop. I'd love to have it for open gaming after the tournament. I actually went ahead and bought two expansions at our local store because I knew I would want them with the game (just an example of my acquisition disorder).
If this process persists to happen frequently, then you may have an Acquisition Disorder disorder.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old March 3rd, 2016, 08:11 AM

chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth chas is a man of the cloth

I have now played Blood Rage for my 20th time last night, this time with the NYCG4 Apres Scape, and we all still love it. The replayability value is high, since you can keep trying things you haven't before. Of course, there is no guarantee they will work. In one turn I went from what would have put me a close second in a four player game to a bare third place. Curse you, Sherman Davies of the Bear Clan! That's what I get for lending him the clan I always play.

Yesterday we also invented a new type of card drafting from a limited pool for Super Scape. It had been years since we tried any type of actual in person drafting, other than online. See our thread in General Discussion soon for a report on this Sherman Davis Scape session!
Old March 4th, 2016, 09:51 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Major Milestone!!

GREG H
rises to rank of
LEGIONNAIRE (only our 3rd)
with his
200th NWIBGA Game Day!

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old March 4th, 2016, 10:12 AM
Drink Burt's Beer

davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death! davidlhsl is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hahma View Post
Major Milestone!!

GREG H
rises to rank of
with his
200th NWIBGA Game Day!

Congrats! Man, that's a lot of ketchup you spilled on yourself.

What do you mean that's not ketchup? Oh. :faints:

I should probably play a game of Red Sand Black Moon by Two Hour Wargames to celebrate.
Old March 4th, 2016, 10:37 AM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidlhsl View Post
Quote:
Major Milestone!!

GREG H
rises to rank of
with his
200th NWIBGA Game Day!

Congrats! Man, that's a lot of ketchup you spilled on yourself.

What do you mean that's not ketchup? Oh. :faints:

I should probably play a game of Red Sand Black Moon by Two Hour Wargames to celebrate.
Well I won't be playing that to celebrate, but tomorrow I'm demoing The Great War, Between Two Cities, Splendor and other games at ArctiCon, a local convention in Valparaiso IN.

NWIBGA is our group. Northwest Indiana Board Gamers Association.

Old March 4th, 2016, 12:08 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Well I won't be playing that to celebrate, but tomorrow I'm demoing The Great War, Between Two Cities, Splendor and other games at ArctiCon, a local convention in Valparaiso IN.
Thanks for clarifying the acronym. I was just about to ask. Participation in 200th event certainly is a major milestone, but seems to me that it should warrant a more impressive title than simply "Legionaire." Maybe "Double-(Duo)-Centurion" would be more appropriate?

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old March 4th, 2016, 01:44 PM
Prickly Cactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
Quote:
Thanks for clarifying the acronym. I was just about to ask. Participation in 200th event certainly is a major milestone, but seems to me that it should warrant a more impressive title than simply "Legionaire." Maybe "Double-(Duo)-Centurion" would be more appropriate?
Well yeah, that would be more impressive of a title for sure, but our stay guy that keeps track of which games get played how many times and how often people attends, is in charge of the titles

Also, "events" basically refers to our weekly Monday night meetings, monthly all day Saturday game days, or any conventions or game store events we demo games and represent our group (where generally there are several of us representing there). So most of my 200 appearances are from our weekly meetings over the past 5 years come this June.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games