Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing
3D Printing A Forum to discuss 3D Printing

Old February 4th, 2020, 12:33 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!
Re: Index of Classic Heroscape .stl files

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbdaman View Post
Got my Ender 3 Pro up and running finally, having a heck of a time getting it leveled out properly. Made some stringy messes and then had one with the plate too close to the nozzle and too hot which left PLA goo embedded into it. It took a lot of work to get most of it off, I've still got some stuck. At least I know it works, I may have to get a glass plate as cleaning the magnetic one is a PITA. Anyway, this isn't just a gripe post. Any tips for getting this leveled? I'm using this test:

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4130721

I'l print more tonight and pray.
I think its important to put posts like this up from time to time. There are quite a few people out there without 3d printers that think that 3d printing is just push a button then get a model. There is a lot to 3d printing. There is the software, all the print settings that have to be dialed in. Then there is the fine tuning of the hardware, leveling, maintaining all the parts, keeping them in top notch working order. Then once the model is finished theres the support removal, cleaning the model up, then painting it. There is nothing simple about 3d printing. Once you put the time into learning everything and getting it down it pays off. Im currently learning everything again with my resin printer, and the software that goes with it. Its a different beast than fdm. Good luck printing minis on yours. Ive successfully printed minis on my fdm printer quite a few times but prefer to do large minis or terrain on it. The handful of resin minis Ive done are amazing. Im still figuring out the best way to orient and print them.

Check out my ebay where you can find my custom dice trays and dicetowers:
https://www.ebay.com/usr/captainamazing_jerdo
Old February 4th, 2020, 12:37 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

When I started with my resin printer (elegoo mars) over half of my prints failed. I found that it was tempurature in the room. I still get about 1 out of 10 fail (some my fault, some myteries), but it is much better now.

What GenCon taught me was to assume only one skull on three dice!
Old February 4th, 2020, 12:56 PM
"like" happy

TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death! TREX is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmuskie View Post
When I started with my resin printer (elegoo mars) over half of my prints failed. I found that it was tempurature in the room. I still get about 1 out of 10 fail (some my fault, some myteries), but it is much better now.
Im currently learning chitubox. The software that came with my Longer Orange 10 was kind of glitchy and froze up. I still got a few good prints. I only did a few sets of prints so far because Im working on building an enclosure with a ventilation sustem. I managed to get 4 out of 8 decent prints out of the 2 print sessions. I was able to repair another model with greenstuff. Its important that people know its a process though.

Old February 4th, 2020, 12:56 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Never thought about room temp. What is the ideal temp?
Old February 4th, 2020, 01:01 PM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I would think its the same as a decent temp for human beings. 50-70 degrees. There is less fluctuation for the heating elements if its not too cold. They have to work harder to achieve the job duty. For resin, its liquid. I would imagine if its too cold or too hot it would affect the viscosity and not turn out right.

Edit: the resin and the fdm machines do have an ideal work temp usually put on their packaging.

Old February 4th, 2020, 01:33 PM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

As an IT guy I most definitely prefer an elegant solution which may not exist for the Ender 3 but the documentation is rather poor. Thankfully there's a lot on the internet that helps. I'll get it dialed in but the last test made such a melted mess that I hurt my fingers trying to get the crap off the plate. Set the temp too hot for sure on that one. This is in an extra room that I should unblock the vent on to get it warmed up so that's a good tip.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old February 4th, 2020, 01:39 PM

Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness Muskie wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
My garage is around 55 degrees when I started. I stored everything in the garage (resin, etc). I now store the resin inside and take it out when I start. I warm up my plate and I have a heater close by my work station. I would say the temp around my work station is about 65-70 (until my wife opens the garage door!). It has made a world of difference. The resin is much thinner.

Old February 4th, 2020, 01:43 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

At least we have had a mild winter.
Been weird, keep waiting for the bottom to fall out but I think we are going to make it with no severe weather.
Old February 4th, 2020, 02:43 PM
"like" happy

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachmuskie View Post
Quote:
My garage is around 55 degrees when I started. I stored everything in the garage (resin, etc). I now store the resin inside and take it out when I start. I warm up my plate and I have a heater close by my work station. I would say the temp around my work station is about 65-70 (until my wife opens the garage door!). It has made a world of difference. The resin is much thinner.
Thats good to know. I expected the viscosity of the resin to be thicker in colder temps. Im not sure how well that will help my ventilation idea. It was 5 degrees at my house this morning. Maybe Ill have to hold off for a few weeks til it warms up a little.

Old February 5th, 2020, 01:25 AM
"like" happy

I finally got chitubox set up and installed the lgs suffix plugin so I can now put my models in chitubox, add manual supports and save them in the proper format for my Longer Orange 10 to read. Using the Longerware that came with my machine was not very good. Its not user friendly and froze up quite often. Chitubox is much better. Now the test to see if those files print ok.
Edit: this rambling may not seem like much but Im feeling somewhat victorious right now. What a pain in the butt.

Old February 5th, 2020, 08:53 AM
Sally Struthers' other brother

robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun robbdaman is a penguin with a machine gun

I got some better test prints out of my Ender, now that I'm level I'll try printing a cube and maybe a Heroscape base. What is the enlargement from the .STL files here to get them to proper size again? I have Cura to scale up, just want to make sure I go to the proper size.

C3V and SoV! Fanscape r0xxorz!!
Old February 5th, 2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
At least we have had a mild winter.
Been weird, keep waiting for the bottom to fall out but I think we are going to make it with no severe weather.
It has been a crazy winter. School snow day in early November, then also 50 degrees a bunch of days in January.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Other Customization & HS Additions > 3D Printing