Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction
Fan Art & Fiction Graphic & Literary works bound only by the imagination

Old May 16th, 2006, 01:41 AM
ultradoug

why did you say "failed" those look fine.
Old May 16th, 2006, 02:06 AM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultradoug
why did you say "failed" those look fine.
I dunno, it just doesn't spark with me:

1) Jotun seemed bigger in the sketch
2) Jotun and the dangling minion are not so defined from one another.
3) not too exciting.
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:40 AM
ultradoug

well i liked it. now draw all the heroscape girls go go now!
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:48 AM
assistant leader

skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun skyknight is a penguin with a machine gun
Again those are really awesome boss!!!
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:55 AM
Man Genius

InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness InfinityMax wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Hex, the mechanics of the Jotun picture are very solid. The drawing is very nice. But you're right, it lacks emphasis and definition, which is a defining characteristic in a lot of your art.

If you were to redo this drawing, I would move the angle up and to the right, so that we're looking down on Jotun, and the minion is held away from his body. Just a camera change would make it more dynamic, and it would allow you to separate Jotun from the minion. The other minion could still be coming up from behind.

You might do what I do - grab a pad of scratch paper and fiddle around with poses until you find one that makes you say, 'aha! Now that's interesting!' It takes me, on average, four or five practice sketches before I can ever find the pose, angle and detail for any particular drawing.

I still think it is a nice drawing. It's just not as awesome as some of your others; Tornak and the arrows is a fantastic example, or the zettians vs monks. Even your single poses are very dramatic - I love the Microcorp.

http://drakesflames.blogspot.com
Drake's Flames, my crassly opinionated game review site. Updates three times a week.
Old May 16th, 2006, 11:34 AM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I agree with you and Imax, Hex. I love the original sketch but the ink took something away. For one, I thought Jotun was scowling in the sketch. In the final version he has a little grin as he admires his ragdoll.

You could do the pose as Imax recommended but have him turning his head to grin at the oncoming minion. Like, "Jotun like play wif silly red bats."
Old May 16th, 2006, 11:39 AM
Admin

Oogie_Da_Bruce is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Oogie_Da_Bruce is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
HEH your artistic skills amaze me!!!

Even what you call a "Failed" work is a masterpiece in my book.

Just that fact that you can criticize such good work, makes you a master!!!

If you have any other "failed" works. Please post those too... Us commoners would still love to see them.

ODB

Recent Games Played:
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:34 PM
Site Admin & Master Custom Creator

LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer LilNewbie is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Great scene of Jotun and the Minions! HEH, you rock!

Newb.
Old May 16th, 2006, 01:47 PM
Master Custom Creator & HS Codex Editor-in-Chief

atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby! atmospro rolls all skulls baby!
Don't change the pose, not the problem.
The problem is in the inking. Varing the line wieght will go a long way improving this piece. What are you inking with? The background line are to heavy to have the foregoround figure pop out. To correct this ink the background in thinner lighter stokes and go heavy on the figure dangling. The shaded areas on the background need to hatched or washed instead of blacked out. Hatch the areas in the under the minions wings will allow you the create the illusion of depth and roundness in the figure form of Jotun's legs and toro tunic.

Sorry to be so critical but I thought this might help you and others.
It's a nice job that need a little TLC inking.

Atmospro

The Meaning of Life is to Give Life Meaning!

The More I learn, the Less I know.
Old May 16th, 2006, 05:48 PM
Emeritus Admin

Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hex_Enduction_Hour wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Thanks guys. Oogie, I wanted to post this mistake cuz I thought it would be fun to show something in progress and get some feedback and suggestions. And I got both. Thanks again to everybody who chimed in with suggestions or comments.

I will definitely try different poses and alter the inking for Jotun. I was in a hurry as I had 3 kids with me and luckily one was sleeping. So I wasn't as focused as I like to be with the thinking of the inking.
Imax, I do try several poses, but in this instance I went with the 4th sketch that was starting to click. Again, time was a factor with my babysitting duties.

It's funny, at some point, I knew I had lost the definition between Jotun and the Minion. But I went on and the composition never gave me that overall good feeling.

It's times like these that I wish I drew and inked a lot more than I do. I spent the last 4-6 years drawing virtually nothing for my own pleasure. I'd be much more confident and flexible in my abilities.
I like the comic book style as you all can see. If you asked me to draw from real life, it'd come out, just okay.
But I don't mind. I like cartooning style. A lot.

I have a scanner/copier/printer combination, so next time I may copy the pencils and try several inking processes.

Thanks again for all the comments. I'm so eager to accept the challenge and get back to you all. It gives me the incentive, you know?
Old May 16th, 2006, 06:13 PM

Runehardt has disabled reputation
I love it. We need to make an underground comic!
Old May 16th, 2006, 07:08 PM
Emeritus Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runehardt
I love it. We need to make an underground comic!
*drools*

I looooove underground comics.

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Fan Art & Fiction