Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old January 10th, 2012, 03:47 AM

WordofZod Woo who?
How much could a HeroScape revival change?

Say, tomorrow morning, you wake up and find that another gaming company has finally convinced Wizards to hand them the HeroScape license before that hand is cold and dead. First off, is there anyone who would not support a revival, regardless of how much better the changes are or how faithful the revival is?

Would you buy into heroscape if there were major aesthetic changes? (We're talking new card designs, a different approach to new characters, etc). What if it became a blind game?

Would you still consider buying into the game if it shared figures with another game? Say Wizkids/NECA picks it up and decides to reuse Mage Knight/Gears of War/Street Fighter/Halo/Lord of the Rings/Pathfinder/Marvel/DC/Freddy vs Jason/Alien VS Predator/HorrorClix/Harry Potter (yes this happened)/MechWarrior figures as new HeroScape figures. Would you be okay with HeroScape once again taking the (metaphorical) back seat to another minis line like Wizards did when it adapted D&D minis?

Would you be okay with HeroScape becoming a game that depends on small, blind purchases? Hate to make so many comparisons to HeroClix- but what if it was a format like the gravity feed one NECA uses. $3 for a blind booster which has one of 10 or 20 figures and the card for the figure (obviously a different shape, but see the aesthetic thing)

What is the change that would make you drop interest in a HeroScape revival instantly?
Old January 10th, 2012, 07:37 AM
proper grammar and spelling are vital too success

Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby!
Re: How much could a HeroScape revival change?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WordofZod View Post
Say, tomorrow morning, you wake up and find that another gaming company has finally convinced Wizards to hand them the HeroScape license before that hand is cold and dead. First off, is there anyone who would not support a revival, regardless of how much better the changes are or how faithful the revival is?

Would you buy into heroscape if there were major aesthetic changes? (We're talking new card designs, a different approach to new characters, etc). What if it became a blind game?

Would you still consider buying into the game if it shared figures with another game? Say Wizkids/NECA picks it up and decides to reuse Mage Knight/Gears of War/Street Fighter/Halo/Lord of the Rings/Pathfinder/Marvel/DC/Freddy vs Jason/Alien VS Predator/HorrorClix/Harry Potter (yes this happened)/MechWarrior figures as new HeroScape figures. Would you be okay with HeroScape once again taking the (metaphorical) back seat to another minis line like Wizards did when it adapted D&D minis?

Would you be okay with HeroScape becoming a game that depends on small, blind purchases? Hate to make so many comparisons to HeroClix- but what if it was a format like the gravity feed one NECA uses. $3 for a blind booster which has one of 10 or 20 figures and the card for the figure (obviously a different shape, but see the aesthetic thing)

What is the change that would make you drop interest in a HeroScape revival instantly?
Of course if they didn't make any rules changes.
EDIT:
I just noticed that all of your posts mention Heroclix. Do you work for Wizkids!?

Neo is Heavy Grut...
in LAUR DETENTION FACILITY
Old January 10th, 2012, 07:42 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

If the game was blind booster you would lose at least 90% of the community.

Last edited by Onacara; January 10th, 2012 at 09:04 AM.
Old January 10th, 2012, 07:42 AM

RobWeaver has disabled reputation

I think we've beaten this horse a few times, but getting a few licks in early would be fun. I would buy into HS again if it were being produced. Maybe I should clear away the things I wouldn't buy again, or more of. I'm up to my eyeballs in fantasy-inspired figures. I don't need anymore orcs, elves, dwarves, snorves, ghouls, tools, etc. I'm also not all that keen on licensed themes. The best HS characters and squads are the ones that are original, and although archtypal (sp?), they're unique to the game and its setting. I'd go for some steampunk characters (to include historical figs like British, French Marines, Union and Confederates, cowboys etc), some dieselpunk/30s/wwii/weird wwii would be an interesting development. I would not, would not, buy into a blind purchase of any sort. It's just hosing good money after bad. Terrain-wise, I would go for some more buildings: western towns, urban settings, trees, but I wouldn't buy another castle if my life depended on it. Sets of cars and furniture that function as scenery - I'd buy those.

Not one step backwards!
Old January 10th, 2012, 07:49 AM
proper grammar and spelling are vital too success

Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby! Neo rolls all skulls baby!

Does This help?

I don't understand what the big deal would be though I mean, just buy from Auggies.

Neo is Heavy Grut...
in LAUR DETENTION FACILITY
Old January 10th, 2012, 07:51 AM

armiller2015 is surprisingly tart

I feel like the reason I enjoy heroscape so much is that it seamlessly combines history, fantasy, and science fiction. There is also no reason to go around wasting money, as you know what you get. The reason I bought into D&D Scape is because it shared the sci-fi and fantasy themes with original scape, and you could still see what you were buying. They also managed to mesh the two universes a little with the PKs, Greenscales, Wyrmlings, and Werewolf Lord. I think the changes you listed would be too drastic for me to buy the new product.
Old January 10th, 2012, 07:55 AM

WordofZod Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
I just noticed that all of your posts mention Heroclix. Do you work for Wizkids!?
No, but as it's the first miniatures game I've really bothered with, and was the reason I originally checked out HeroScape, and it's one of the more successful games around, I tend to make comparisons to marketing strategies used with HeroClix. If I can think of examples from other companies, I'll edit the first post to include them, but that just seemed natural because HeroClix is one of the better-selling categories in the same general market as HeroScape was.

Edit: Also, I think I kind of didn't word the op well enough. The question was not "would you still buy heroscape products if these changes were made." I was trying to ask what the lines other people would draw are.
Old January 10th, 2012, 08:48 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

There are some big lines drawn. There is the huge line of blind purchase. There is the huge line of unpainted/unassembled. There is the big line of other company's/game's minis. The first two are kind of universal deal breakers. The last one is an almost universal deal breaker. After that it would really break down to individual gamer's preferences. Some won't like rectangular cards while others will be fine with that change.
Old January 10th, 2012, 12:32 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
If the game was blind booster you would lose at least 90% of the community.
Correct. Blind boosters is the one thing that would make me stop buying Heroscape.

On the other hand, I'd be okay with official heroscape cards and figures from these lines:

Mage Knight/Gears of War/Street Fighter/Halo/Lord of the Rings/Pathfinder/Marvel/DC/Freddy vs Jason/Alien VS Predator/HorrorClix/Harry Potter (yes this happened)/MechWarrior

Well, except for Harry Potter and Freddy vs. Jason ones. I don't see how those would ever see there way onto my scape boards. Oh, and I'm pretty happy with the CG3 comic book cards so suddenly getting an 'official' card & figure for those units already covered by CG3 would be a disappointment.

Last edited by Yodaking; January 10th, 2012 at 01:10 PM.
Old January 10th, 2012, 12:40 PM

Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shedim Kabal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Terrain incompatibility.
Old January 10th, 2012, 12:52 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo View Post
Does This help?

I don't understand what the big deal would be though I mean, just buy from Auggies.
Have you seen the after market price of some Heroclix figures? $50+ for a single figure, that is essentially the one and only way to purchase the figure for 98% of those interested.

Oh, and I would prefer the cards remain in the same shape it's rather iconic now.
Old January 10th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Minivann View Post
There are some big lines drawn. There is the huge line of blind purchase. There is the huge line of unpainted/unassembled. There is the big line of other company's/game's minis. The first two are kind of universal deal breakers. The last one is an almost universal deal breaker. After that it would really break down to individual gamer's preferences. Some won't like rectangular cards while others will be fine with that change.
Yeah, those are the big lines:

Blind purchase would kill it for me. Having chase figures and all that--bleh.

Unpainted/unassembled would kill it as well. I hate colorless minis, but I totally like painting skill or time (esp the latter).

Major rule changes would be a turnoff as well.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion