Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion

Notices

Old September 1st, 2022, 03:50 PM

Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: NO POSTING - Heroscape 2.0 News from Designers and Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Encarmine
DESIGNER'S NOTES - DAY 024- "A RELENTLESS PURSUIT FOR INFINITE FIREPOWER" Imperator Kayne strides effortlessly across the battlefields of Valhalla atop his mighty custom built All-Terrain Fighting Vehicle. Flanking defensive positions and spraying high-caliber shells onto his stunned adversaries with almost reckless abandon. The white-hot barrels of his rotary canon are matched only by his fiery demeanor and intense rage, as he charges into the enemy lines leading from the front! Imperator Kayne is the living manifestation of the Clockwork Combine’s tenacity and ingenuity, bringing war and carnage right back to the doorsteps of their foes.

URL is "Murder_Chicken".

Last edited by Anitar; September 1st, 2022 at 03:59 PM. Reason: locally hosted image by capsocrates
Old September 1st, 2022, 04:28 PM

Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Anitar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Well this is unexpected. We've got news about news, and it's not from the usual source.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intergalactic Patrick
Hi! I’m a marketing guy at Avalon Hill. Since launch I’ve been lurking in the shadows, but thought I’d drop some more heat today and confirm that Heroscape will be on the Haslab crowdfunding platform. We will be doing a panel and dive into the details of Age of Annihilation during Pulse Con on 10.1. More to come soon. See you there!

URL is... uninteresting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon Bill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avarice
Quote:
Our HasLab platform is similar to like Kickstarer
So if I pay Itll be like a pre order? And I’ll get bonus?
Yep, like a pre-order! Backers will be the first to get the new Heroscape. As far as a bonus... you'll have to wait and see the offering!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixConstantino
Quote:
Originally Posted by webyabois
hopefully this means we can get info decently soon
Yeah that’s what it’s looking like. Does that mean it’ll be shipped around this time next year?
We've yet to announce the ship date as there is still some variance, but we're hoping you are correct
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by wakemare
Took me a little bit but I found out what haslab is and where it is lol
Don't worry, we'll have tons of posts to make sure you all have the links you need when it goes live!
Quote:
Our panel at Pulse Con is on 10/1. @Encarmine will still tease y'all until then, but in a month you'll know what's up.
Quote:
Quote:
So in terms of new information on distribution, are we thinking days and weeks or months and years?
days
Emphasis mine.
Old September 1st, 2022, 05:12 PM

The AH Discord is getting spicy. Further information just keeps piling on. I might have to update this post several more times.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth26
If the funding goes well, then I expect it will see wider release and get extra waves
Exactly! The goal is to get this relauched, so we can continue to support the players in the future.
Quote:
Details like the offering and cost will be coming soon!
Quote:
Future offerings may be packaged differently than how it was done in the past.

Assuming we get that far
Quote:
Personally I have a million concepts! But what might happen for real is still up for debate. I'm just happy they took my advice on "steampunk anthropomorphic rodents" (kidding)
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
You know how it goes and I can't confirm details... but the plan is that if the Haslab goes well, more waves will be coming. Similar to HeroQuest, this isn't meant to be a one and done thing.

I can say this...we have plans for regular seasons after everyone who backs the Haslab receives AoA.
Any idea on the frequency of the seasons? Also can we call them seasons now?
Really depends on how well the Haslab does and level of interest from you all!
Quote:
Quote:
Is there a goal to get heroscape on shelves again? obviously this is 10 steps ahead of where we are now, but i know the main focus is to "get new players" and that is the number one way to do that
Personally, I would love to see this on shelf again. Hopefully we can make that happen.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastbilly1
Will we be able to get multiples during the haslab campaign?
You should do that. I support this plan.
Old September 2nd, 2022, 12:05 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

Today's designer's notes!

Quote:
DESIGNER'S NOTES - DAY 025- "HEROES NEVER DIE" (Happy Friday! See everyone on Monday.)

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV
Old September 2nd, 2022, 12:53 PM

Image URL is also "Heroes_Never_Die".

And just because some of us (myself included) needed explicit confirmation that Sonlen is indeed Sonlen, here:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness
Quote:
Quote:
So happy with how Sgt. Drake Alexander looks!!! I think you will like the powers too!
Were you supposed to confirm this? ��
it is obvious
Yeah, this is Drake 3.0.

Quote:
Wings really did not work with his Thorian Speed. Made him a bigger target.

Quote:
Quote:
Was [Drake] the first unit designed? It would make sense for it to be, in my opinion
The very first concept was the Gorillanator DawnRaider miniature.

Last edited by Anitar; September 2nd, 2022 at 09:53 PM.
Old September 2nd, 2022, 10:07 PM

Backstory time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper
Anyway, formally, I became aware of this project as follows:

Xorlof came to me with this proposition:
Craig is working on a project. He asked me to gather a few people to help him, and I think it would be good if you, DS, assembled that team.

So I talked to a few people internal in the C3V, who I knew were highly skilled at design and playtesting work, and those who were interested and I went through the process. Signed NDAs, etc., got in.
That is the formation of what you know as the War Council, with the exception of OG Skyknight, who had done this with Craig before, and he was already in.
That's how you end up with Xorlof and Skyknight, already in, and then me, dok, and KD.
The War Council.

Outside of what I was told officially from Xorlof, though, I also knew this.
Some of the Heroscape IPs were either up or would be up soon.
Which is public info.
I also knew Craig was absolutely devoted to Heroscape, and to the community.

I mean, here is all you need to know about Craig. For this purpose.
Craig started a board game company with his brother: Soaring Rhino.
https://www.soaringrhino.com/
If you go to their website, you can click on the "about us" page.
https://www.soaringrhino.com/about-us
There is a professional picture of Craig on that page.

There are the images of four game packages behind him, on this image posted on his own company's board game design website.
All four of those game packages are Heroscape.
So.
That's who I'm dealing with.

Did anyone tell me it was Heroscape? No.
Did I have reason, when I said yes, to think and hope that it was? Yes.
Do I already have two paying jobs, and not need this extra work either to support my family, or to fill up my waking hours?
Yes.
But this is a labor of love for me, as I suspect it is one for Craig. I know dok well enough to say the same for him, and for KD.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill
What's your time commitment like for this?
I shouldn't answer that question, for Reasons, so I won't.
I will say this, in a very indirect response. Supposedly a reporter or somebody asked Einstein if the Theory of Relativity came to him all at once, or if he'd been thinking about it for a long time.
"After I was thinking about it for a long time," he supposedly said, "it came to me all at once."

Last edited by Anitar; September 2nd, 2022 at 10:56 PM. Reason: missed a message; the butchered Einstein quote is now precisely where it should be
Old September 2nd, 2022, 10:44 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Hey! What did you do with my butchery of the Einstein quote???

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; September 2nd, 2022 at 11:05 PM. Reason: :) thanks for keeping all of this together; I was just having fun.
Old September 5th, 2022, 01:35 PM

Quote:
DESIGNER'S NOTES - DAY 028- "THE CRAVEN COURT" FACTION LORE - Evolving over countless millennia and through almost constant military campaign and conquest on their home planet of Arboreas, The Craven Court have perfected the arts of war within their draconian martial culture. Their insectoid appearance can be deceiving at first, leading many to believe them barbaric and crude, base things of rage and slaughter. In contrary to that belief however, The Craven Court possess a highly advanced intelligence and fight with iron discipline to uphold and maintain their society against their enemies. Their “hives” are kept hidden from all outsiders, and it is believed those court members encountered on Valhalla are comprised entirely of a sort of warrior caste. Leveraging their organically bio-engineered weapons and abilities, Revna utilizes The Craven Court’s unique military tactics on the battlefield to great effect, feinting army compositions, and even spawning new reinforcements as the battle unfolds, and tactics change to meet the moment.

URL: "Nightmares_Come_True".

We've already gotten a full shot of the spider in the bottom-right... I'd have posted it then, if I had known its relevance.
Quote:

Human for scale
URL is "You_Know_Nothing_Skywhale".

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWhale
can you confirm that spider's scaling?
Big
Quote:
Personal designer note: you all are finally witnessing a faction captained by the Heroscape veteran skyknight. I don’t know if he’s active here.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysole
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peritus Engineer
Given the Craven Court has "hives", can we expect them to operate like an ant colony, with designated workers and soldiers?
I expect a very hierarchal structure
Me too

Last edited by Anitar; September 6th, 2022 at 01:00 PM. Reason: locally hosted image by capsocrates
Old September 6th, 2022, 01:23 PM

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth

I thought this was interesting from the Discord server on August 25th:

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by @In-Vidir-Us
Quote:
Originally Posted by @TyranntX
Speaking of, is the Marvel set canon?
I think it's considered a separate game.
I think @In-Vidir-Us is probably correct in that. Because we would be unable to ever reference any portion of it in any way.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by @TyranntX
Varkill felt unnecessary, I don’t think we’d be missing much of he were killed off
We need a Heroscapers referendum survey on Valkrill. Love to know where the community stands on that.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Vecna
Quote:
Originally Posted by @LincolnTunnel
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Vecna
@Encarmine #SaveValkrill
All they have to do to save Valkrill is give him a reason to exist.
So Utgar is not all evil and lonely in his conquest. Even bad guys need friends.
You don’t think Utgar is the only evil aligned Valkyrie do you? I mean… we’re just getting restarted here.
Quote:
You guys think you’re the fans. The fact is the AH team are fans of you guys!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Tim_Bersau
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by @Tim_Bersau
More characters with flintlock era weaponry.
Don't even care what style or aesthetic just love those.
You mean Dawn Raiders?
Like Pirates? Heck yeah I'm down.
Yah, we’re not done showing them off. ��
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The pirates were so much fun to work on! @Dad_Scaper did a great job!
Which is your favorite pirate?
We are yet to reveal him ��

Stay tuned. The Dawn Raiders are a mixed bag. You never know who is going to join in.
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
One of my favorite things about Heroscape is the terrain, it lets players be creative
Damn, did Craig Van Ness just leak that new heroscape is getting terrain?!?!?!?!?!?
We want to make everyone happy
Official announcement: Heroscape has “scape”
And “heroes”
Both essential it seems
new scape is a must
Quote:
we do need to make [the lore] legible to new players who shouldn’t have to go find 37 obscure sources to get an answer on something.

The brand bible is already the largest word file on my hard drive, and that includes Transformers and GI Joe.

--
--
--

--

Last edited by caps; September 6th, 2022 at 01:23 PM. Reason: There is also more recent stuff, but it took me long enough to compile this!
Old September 6th, 2022, 04:21 PM

Today's designer's notes

Quote:
DESIGNER'S NOTES - DAY 029- "A LIVING TIDE OF DEATH AND DESTRUCTION" The Oathbound are the Craven Court’s vanguard shock troops, rushing ahead of the main attack force to overwhelm defenses and locate weaknesses to exploit during the main advance. Their adaptive strategies allow them to modify their unit composition based on real-time assessments of the enemy, sometimes spreading out across the battlefield as smaller units of Oathbound Legionnaires, swarming across and over the battlefield, to engage multiple adversaries, distracting them form the Craven Court reinforcements close behind. Other times, the Oathbound will gather together into an Oathbound Phalanx, placing their sheer weight in numbers together against a single weak point and shatter their opposition in a massive hammer blow of razor sharp teeth and deathly talons.

--
--
--

--
Old September 6th, 2022, 04:21 PM

EDIT: Caps beat me to it. Never mind.

The URL is "A_Literal_Tide_Of_Fangs", by the way.
Old September 6th, 2022, 07:09 PM

Some general insights. By which I mean both "insights about everything as a whole" and "insights about Valkyrie Generals".
Quote:
Of course I read all these comments about what is “on” or “off” brand for Heroscape, and I think to myself “When was the last time you pulled your collection out of that Rubbermaid in your attic?” Last time I checked EVERYTHING IS HEROSCAPE AND HEROSCAPE IS EVERYTHING.
Quote:
Keep in mind what you are seeing is exclusive pre-visualization of these units, some specific rules are still being play tested, so it works out much better to share with you an intended vision of each unit, and leave the exact details of the final powers until later. The community has proven incredibly resourceful in these reveals, to pick up most powers I am insinuating in the designer notes.
Quote:
I think where the community tends to trip themselves up is in a very narrow view of army compositions of the Valkyrie. I think it’s time we collectively expand our definitions a bit and expect greater depth of character to occur going forward. We want more from our story, to be greater then a set of guideposts for army allocation.

To me Utgar is not just this one-dimensional source of absolute evil, driven solely by a single narrative.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknox
Quote:
there are many factors leading in to some of these choices, and while we are not going to properly answer the question to everyone’s satisfaction on a Discord server, it is safe to assume this is not 2004, and this is not a U.S. only initiative.
I think that has to do with the historical units & the way that factions were determined for historical units by how those armies are viewed in US history
Which is more complex when it's a joint initiative across different continents with different worldviews
The only one that stays cut & dry is a lot of the Einar stuff being associated with Asia, since Einar clearly operates on an honor/shame basis with a high regard for discipline
Using subject matter which may not be acceptable in all Asian markets. So you can begin to see the larger issues.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by aknox
That probably doesn't affect getting Mayans/Aztecs
Although probably any depiction of indigenous tribes runs a risk
Zulus too would be cool
Are you sure those cultures would appreciate that representation of their history?
Quote:
Again, we are not saying “never” on historical units, only that they represent a higher complexity to execute then perhaps assumed, and that some topics, such as buccaneers and pirates are a representation of an easier path to execute historical content and make selections.

Last edited by Anitar; September 6th, 2022 at 07:29 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Age of Annihilation > News & Discussion