Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Closed Thread

Old April 1st, 2007, 05:42 PM

XSI Addict 32 has disabled reputation
400-500 point army discussion (again)

This same thread was started in another location, and being new to this site, i didn't know this area existed. so i'll put re post it here, in its right full place.

The purpose of this thread is to discuss different armies, their strengths, weaknesses, and the general stradegy behind them. I prefer to keep the armies smaller (400-500 max) but larger is fine to. The following are the armies i generally like to use:

Castle Storm:

Minions of Utgar (x1)
Sentinels of Jandar (x1)
Sgt. Drake Alexander (x1)
4th Massachusetts Line (x1)

Total Points: 400

Background: I recently purchased the Castle Set exspansion. Though i own 3 master sets, 2 road to forgotten forrest sets and most of the unit exspanisions, i couldn't keep the main course of play away from the castle. My friends and i basically decided that the castle is like a 500-1000 point advantage (varrying depending on how well it is used). To keep from losing every time i attempted to seige the castle, i constructed an army with that very purpose.

Stradegy: Most castle users will stall until you are in range of their snipers. Under most conditions, they will wait for you to come to them. I find this to work to my advantage, this gives me ample time to get into positions. Set up the sentinells, minions and drake right outside of enemy range. put the mass line a few hexes behind them. The mass line will provide protection in case of a melee charge, but it is un likely this will occur. For this stradegy to work best, it is essential that you go after the opponent. on the third turn of the round, send the minions, sentinells and drake as close to the castle as possible. Ideally, when the inititive changes, if you can win the roll, you will get to go 2 times in a row. The advancing men have a small movement (4 and 5), which is not enough to cover the 6-9 span of death the opponent is likely to have. However, going twice in a row allows you to advance 8-10 spaces! The enemy will probably have the walls lined with weak ranged units. The Minions and Sentinels can make quick work of them. They won't die quickly either. Open up a space for Drake. Once he is up there all hell breaks loose. At this point, the mass line should advance on the gate. Keep them in range of it. This will allow you to keep the ennemy inside, while your meleers kill them all.

Strengths: This stradegy really works for any highly elevated point. The minios and sentinells can pass any terrain obstacle with flying, and Drake is immune to long range fire. This team will rip apart any cheap long ranged wimps. Also, the huge defense on the Sentinels and minions will allow them to last a long time

Weakness: This army is slow. it takes a number of turns to deploy. it should only be used against an enemy willing to wait for you to come to them.

Spike Wall:

Izumi Samurai (x1)
Tagawa Samurai (x1)
Death Reavers (x1)
Thorgrim the Viking Champion (x1)
Raelin the Kyrie Warrior (x1)
Airborne Elite (x1)

Total Points: 490 points

Background: Recently saw the insanity that raelin can cause (i know its dumb that i have had the game for almost 2 years now and just figured it out) and wanted to take full advantage of her. Upon first glance, i though...death walkers. but those guys can die pretty quickly. So i decided to form an army around the only units that can take full advantage of Raelin's powers. The samurai. After all, the best offense is a good defense. The airboune elite are in their in case of an enemy who waits for me to charge against their lasers.

Stradegy: When in full formation (5 samurai surrounding throgrim with raelin in the 6th spot) the samurai boast an enourmus 8 defense! With counter strike, few enemies dare attacking them, even jotun falls before their might! As the army advances forward, the death reavers should be near realin at all times. Incase the enemy cirles around the back, the reavers can keep him tied up until the samurai can get him. The airborne are literally luck units. When they get placed can be long after they are needed, however, once they are down, the fun begins. Gernade immediatly, wipe out as many units as you can. If it is safe to stay and shoot, do so. But most of the time, the samurai will want their ranges support. Advance slowly and surely with the main force. elevation is great if you can get it, but don't worry to much,8 defense units do not die quickly. DO NOT ALLOW RAELIN TO DIE!!!

Strengths: Can take down any huge figures without a problem. few armies will simply charge against them. This will allow you to take the high ground. the elite will slaughter most enemy formations, turning a hardened platton into a swiss cheese squad.

Weaknesses: Once the elite are dead, there is no long ranges support. Often times the formation must be disregarded to deal with certain ranged nusances. If raelin goes down, the bulk of your army will be lost. this make a thrid of your army incredibly important to your succes, and crippiling in death.

Note: another member brought up the disasterous scenario where glyph of summoning takes raelin out of formation. a possible counter would be to remove thorgrim, and place saylind in his place. it would reduce the defense of the samurai by 1, but would free them up. THey would no longer have to stay tightly packed and asking for a gernade. Additionally, Saylind could pull the airborne (slowly) out of enemy turf.

Those are my two main armies. Looking to construct a third, long ranged team, possible Q9, Dead Eye, marros and micro corp. But i havent tested it yet.
Old April 2nd, 2007, 02:16 AM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Welcome to the boards, XSI Addict 32!

On behalf of our graphically rendered and army building community I extend to you a laurel and a hearty handshake.

As a new member, you can begin your journey on the path to the praise, recognition and respect of your Heroscapers peers by checking out this announcement: http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=6970

~Aldin, who has already posted several 400-500 point armies in the
400 point army and 500 point army threads

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham
Old April 2nd, 2007, 08:49 PM
Ban Hammer Slammer!

Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Malechi is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Welcome XSI Addict 32,

If, in the future, you happen to realize that your thread is in the incorrect area, let an Admin know as we can move them to the correct location.

Redirect back to original thread: HERE

Just because you're offended, it doesn't make you right.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion