Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old January 24th, 2009, 08:49 AM
Don't Need Range in the Knight-time & Gencon Main Event Champion - 2018

Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death! Matthias Maccabeus is hot lava death!
Re: Cookie Cutter Army Discussion and Tiers

Quote:
Originally Posted by spider_poison View Post
DW7K's dominance and ease of play with 4th Mass is another reason I value Deadeye Dan so highly. Last time I played Jexik, he thought he was being so smart drafting DW7K with his valiant Mass, so I took DED and shot the soulborg on his first turn. Bam, nothing to worry about. I was a little disappointed as DED only took out about 8 or so 4th Mass before he died, but he certainly proved his worth in that game.

And nice list too. I'm not sure if knights are first tier, and if they are, I think Roman builds should be up there too. Their main problem is that nobody plays them in tourneys any longer. Perhaps I can convince Jormi to bust them out again. A lot of people were freaking out about Zelrig destroying them, and while it certainly is a tough matchup, you don't really see Zelrig in tourneys that much anyway. Either way, great list, and it was lots of fun to read
Ahem...TTO IV. Need I say more.

Dragon Dice - (the 2nd best game there is) Learn to Play!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h3q6...wujcr8vVf8e21G
Old January 25th, 2009, 10:04 PM
All growed up

Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Einar's puppy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

My god that is a MASSIVE post! I must have spent thirty minutes reading it and once I got past Arrow Grut armies, I spaced out.

Didn't ollie do very well with a minions, omnicron, tealord army at Saratoga Slugfest?

Also, I've placed 3rd at Revalations with microcorp agents, and third at Saratoga slugfest using a realin, Zelrig, 10th reg hodge-podge. These guys are good in the right situations, so don't count them out.
Old January 25th, 2009, 10:18 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar's puppy View Post
My god that is a MASSIVE post! I must have spent thirty minutes reading it and once I got past Arrow Grut armies, I spaced out.
Um... you're welcome? Heh. Out of curiosity, I copied and pasted it into a word processor. 16 single spaced pages. This must be my longest yet? Do they give honorary PhD's in Heroscape Studies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Einar's puppy View Post
Didn't ollie do very well with a minions, omnicron, tealord army at Saratoga Slugfest?

Also, I've placed 3rd at Revalations with microcorp agents, and third at Saratoga slugfest using a realin, Zelrig, 10th reg hodge-podge. These guys are good in the right situations, so don't count them out.
Sounds like those are well within the high Tier 2 range.

I'm still debating whether I should bump the 10th Reg and Minions.. and maybe romans or Microcorp up, or simply cut Tier 2 in half and put some of them in Tier 3, and just make Tier 4 the ill-formed armies I wouldn't worry about playing (which I've actually lost, or nearly lost to before).

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:25 AM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Jexik, I was just going to take a gander at R˙chean's thread you link to in the first post, but the link sent me to the power rankings. I checked the other link to see if they maybe got switched, but they both go to the power rankings.
Old January 26th, 2009, 09:37 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Thanks for pointing that out. It's fixed now. They're both stickies in this forum, and good reads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 27th, 2009, 05:37 PM
CoN Recruiting Officer, Top Masq Sleuth, & Teller of Fantastic Tales

scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla scorpiusx is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Good read! +Rep.

-scorp

scorpiusx is Khosumet the Darklord...
in THE ENEMY'S LAST RETREAT
Old January 28th, 2009, 01:22 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!

Nadom went 5-1 (losing only in the championship rematch vs rdhight's Rats x3, 10th x4, Q10) with the Elf Wizards in the 600 point Vancouver tourney last weekend.

Here's his army:
Ulginesh – 150
Arkmer – 50
Emiroon – 80
Kyntela Gwyn – 20
Jorhdawn – 100
Morsbane – 100
Chardris – 90
Otonashi – 10

And his battle reports.
Old January 28th, 2009, 02:47 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

I just read that report..... did he ever freaking miss with Morsbane? His average 20-sider roll must've been 17.....

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:06 PM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Nadom's battle report makes me want to use the Elves a little more. He sure was hot with Morsebane. Im curious how those matches would've panned out had he not gotten so lucky with his D20. Still its awesome to see the elves do good. I think a good reason he was able to do so well with elves is the point total. Im guessing it would've been a different report at 500pts. Of course I don't play elves, ever, so I could be wrong about that.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:13 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!

Yeah, the Morsbane action did sound impressive. The Sudema/Tron army I played a couple years back would have fared a lot better if she rolled more like her nemesis.

Nadom's a good player, though, and I bet only the Braxas negation was necessary for him to win.
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:14 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
I just read that report..... did he ever freaking miss with Morsbane? His average 20-sider roll must've been 17.....
He never mentions missing, although it's arguably implied that he missed with him once against Raelin in one game. There are three successful negations mentioned without a number. The other rolls mentioned by number were 18, 18, 17, 20, and 20. That's... unusual.
Old January 28th, 2009, 03:31 PM
I'm Heroscape's Birthbuddy

Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby!

Hey all, just figured I'd chime in...
Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by killercactus View Post
He never mentions missing, although it's arguably implied that he missed with him once against Raelin in one game. There are three successful negations mentioned without a number. The other rolls mentioned by number were 18, 18, 17, 20, and 20. That's... unusual.
While I have to admit that I got exceptionally lucky, I missed and missed badly several times (most of which didn't make it into the battle report). The advantage of the Elf Wizards is that you can activate two heroes per turn. I would not have activated Morsbane if he was the only wizard I got to activate that turn. Morsbane is one of the Elves' best threats to heroes and high-powered unique squads, and I thought it made more sense to send him out early on than to keep him for late in the game. Sending Morsy in on the front lines protected my other, more important wizards and made it so that I could both get the most negation attempts possible and make the most of any negation attempts that did succeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubobj View Post
Still its awesome to see the elves do good. I think a good reason he was able to do so well with elves is the point total. Im guessing it would've been a different report at 500pts. Of course I don't play elves, ever, so I could be wrong about that.
The point total has a LOT to do with it. That extra 100 points was Morsbane. In addition to several negations, he also made for that much more firepower for Chardris & Jorhdawn, that much more defense for Arkmer, that much more summoning power for Emiroon... and another guy to take the hits on the front line instead of the main attackers. 600 is perfect for the elves and vice-versa. I wasn't going in intending to be competitive, but I now think that they can be in 600+ point formats. In the 500 point range, I don't quite think so.

Last edited by Nadom; January 28th, 2009 at 04:11 PM.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion