Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles
Custom Terrain & Obstacles For Custom terrain, buildings, and other misc. obstacles

Old March 15th, 2008, 11:28 AM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Hot Wire Foam Cutter

I want to make a homemade foam cutter. Anyone have any suggestions?

I've been pouring over the web and most of the stuff I'm finding centers around large devices. I want to make something about 1 foot across.

I have on old train transformer for power, but I'm not sure if it will work or not. I've had this transformer for about 20+ years. It is a Bachman N/HO scale, model #6605, Input: 120V 50-60 HZ, Output: 0-17 VDC - 20 VAC, Max Output: 6VA total.

My main goal is to cut pink insulation foam. Any help would be appreciated!
Old March 15th, 2008, 12:33 PM

loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby!
We had one when i was in Architecture school. I don't really know how it was made so I can't answer that. When you make your make sure it has a deep enough "throat" to accomodate the foam you want to cut. You will be turning it at angles while cutting so you will want to consider that. I is a pain in the neck if you are cuting and then find out you can't rotate the foam corectly.
Old March 15th, 2008, 01:53 PM

Location: Kansas City metro area (Grain Valley, Blue Springs)
paradox22 knows what's in an order marker paradox22 knows what's in an order marker
might save you some time/trouble... they have them for 20$ at michaels and hobby lobby.

Get your Kansas City Metro Scaping fix here: http://kcheroscapers.getphpbb.com/forum.html
Old March 15th, 2008, 02:45 PM
Ug, a gray man

Eckels knows what's in an order marker Eckels knows what's in an order marker
I would think the trickiest part of a homemade wire foam cutter, is having the right wire. "Mechanically" , I don't see how different the unit would be from a soldering iron, except that the wire, under tension, could snap under heat. (Maybe a thin gauge steel piano wire might work?)

This is just a theory though, as I have never tried to build one.

If they're only 20$ as paradox says, it might be a worthwhile investment.

Edit: If you're intent on building your own, and If you can figure out how to make it work electrically, I think you could get away with using a hacksaw frame (8-14" wide) as your handle, and a thin piano wire, or smooth cable as your wire. If you're looking for something smaller, maybe a coping saw frame would be more to your liking (6-7" wide).

Good Traders: Just_a_Bill, Wind Lane, Steiner, Hilo-scaper, tdavid6
My Latest Maps
Old March 15th, 2008, 03:43 PM

Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Raudulfr Shieldcrusher is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
I just picked up a foam cutter from Michaels. It was 8 bucks. A small investment for sure. The distance of the wire is somewhat small, about 4.5 inches. But I think I can modify that. It also is powered by 2 D batteries, so no wires.

If I decide to make my own, which I still may, I'll use guitar strings. I alread have a coping saw pulled apart for it. And the power source. But for now, the Michaels cutter will work.

Thanks guys!
Old March 15th, 2008, 05:57 PM

bad_calvin is surprisingly tart
DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS POST IF YOU ARE NOT AN ADULT AS IT IS NOT THE "SAFEST" THING TO DO. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR BURNING FLESH, SETTING FIRE TO YOUR HOUSE HAIR OR ANY OTHER BELONGING OR PART OF YOUR BODY.

Grab a spring, bolt, guitar string (bass) and a battery charger.

Attach the bolt somewhere it isn't going to move, (cieling of your garage?) Wrap the guitar string around the bolt real good, attach the other end to the spring so it has some "tension" but not stiff tension. It has to have give. You will have to build it into a table, or workbench in your garage, whatever. Put the ground of car charger at the top, the "hot" of the car charger at the bottom and cut until your heart is content. Don't touch the wire because it will burn really really bad. Sometimes depending on what you are cutting the string will break, just throw on another one. Pretty simple really, but extremely dangerous. There is nothing safe about it. Cut outside as well, because fumes are bad for you to breathe.

If you have questions, or would like to know more, just get with me. I don't really want to instruct people how to build someting dangerous like this.
Old March 15th, 2008, 08:47 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Here's a step by step for a home made HWC.

http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page171.html

-insert signature here-
Old March 15th, 2008, 08:58 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Quote:
Originally Posted by bad_calvin
DO NOT LISTEN TO THIS POST IF YOU ARE NOT AN ADULT AS IT IS NOT THE "SAFEST" THING TO DO. I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR BURNING FLESH, SETTING FIRE TO YOUR HOUSE HAIR OR ANY OTHER BELONGING OR PART OF YOUR BODY.

Attach the bolt somewhere it isn't going to move, (cieling of your garage?) Wrap the guitar string around the bolt real good, attach the other end to the spring so it has some "tension" but not stiff tension. It has to have give. You will have to build it into a table, or workbench in your garage, whatever. Put the ground of car charger at the top, the "hot" of the car charger at the bottom and cut until your heart is content. Don't touch the wire because it will burn really really bad. Sometimes depending on what you are cutting the string will break, just throw on another one. Pretty simple really, but extremely dangerous. There is nothing safe about it. Cut outside as well, because fumes are bad for you to breathe.

If you have questions, or would like to know more, just get with me. I don't really want to instruct people how to build someting dangerous like this.

I use a lightsabre...equally as dangerous but much cooler.
Old March 15th, 2008, 09:16 PM

bad_calvin is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara
Quote:

I use a lightsabre...equally as dangerous but much cooler.
lol, I am just uncomfortable with encouraging people to use electricity. I cut a little more then the average terrain person though.. so I use a bit more power then a handheld. The handheld thing breaks all the time and sucks up d batteries like nobodies business. I just don't like it.
Old March 16th, 2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys
Here's a step by step for a home made HWC.

http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page171.html
Ug, how did I miss that? Thanks!
Old March 16th, 2008, 04:53 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the info. I will definitely keep this in mind.
Old March 16th, 2008, 10:03 PM

dracothehalfdragon has disabled reputation
1 9-volt battery+ 1 wire coathanger+ 1 roll duct tape+ 1 word of caution= totally awesome foam cutter, Fully Child Safewhen turned off, fully adjustable, $1 at any junkshop, or my garage sale. DRACOTHEHAFDRAGON IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR IRRISPONSIBLE PARENTS. thank you for listening

No more giant sigs

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Terrain & Obstacles