Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Notices

Old September 10th, 2008, 10:50 PM

shaunb451 is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Question Help a clueless army builder

I've been playing for some time now, but I've never really put any thought into my army builds. But looking through these forums has raised a question, "is it even possible to build a decent, or even competive, army with my extreamly limited collection?" So I decided to start this thread to see what the combined mind power of Heroscapers.com can come up with in terms of army lists. (PS. If a similar thread exist already or this idea is sorta dumb, feel free to igrone me, just don't post anything negative)
Here is a list of my collection (sorted by cost) for reference and/or ideas.
Spartacus (200)
Cyprien Esenwein (150)
Mimring (150)
Deathwalker 9000 (140)
Templar Cavalry (120)
Grimnak (120)
Nakita Agents (120)
Ninjas of the Northern Wind (110)
Sgt Drake Alexander (110)
Airborne Elite (110)
Kozuke Samurai (100)
Agent Carr (100)
Krav Maga Agents (100)
Syvarris (100)
Ne-Gok-Sa (90)
Warden 816 (90)
Retiarius (90)
Crixus (90)
Finn the Viking Champion (80)
Thorgrim the Viking Champion (80)
Raelin the Kyrie Warrior (80)
Zettian Guards (70)
Izumi Samuri (60)
2x Roman Archers (55)
Marro Warriors (50)
2x Roman Legionnaires (50)
Tarn Vikings (50)
Warriors of Ashra (50)
Sonya Esenwein (45)
Deathreavers (40)
Kyntela Gwyn (20)
Isamu (10)

So, can you help?

Last edited by shaunb451; September 10th, 2008 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Forgot 2nd Roman
Old September 10th, 2008, 10:56 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: Help a clueless army builder

Not clueless... inexperienced.

IMO, it's tough to make a competitive army without multiple common squads. But then again, that's just my style of play. I've seen plenty of others come up with all hero/unique squad armies that play very well.

Several of the figures/squads from RotV alone play quite well together in a tourney setting.

Welcome...

-insert signature here-
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:14 PM

holylink718 knows what's in an order marker holylink718 knows what's in an order marker

Well, to start, the Krav Maga + Raelin is an effective (though rather cheap if abused) combo. Pair them with Syvarris, Cyprien, and Sonya, throw in Isamu, and you've got yourself a mean 485 point army that has the best of both worlds: range and high maneuverability.

Try this out. I haven't played that particular army, so I can't guarantee it doesn't have some tweaking that needs to be done. I just came up with that now after a brief look at what you had.

Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter.

Good trades with: lharles

Holylink718's Repaints
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:29 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

You have a decent collection there. However, as nyys pointed out, it can be difficult to build a really competitive army without multiple commons, but it is possible.

Holylink is right, the Krav and Raelin combo is very effective at 180 points. Airborne Elites are also a good choice. Throw in both sets of samurai and that's another 160, put the Tarns in there and you have a good turtling army with some glyph grabber in the Tarns and Izumi. You also have a good hero killing/shock value in the Airborne Elites and Kozukes. And to round it all off, nearly impossible to kill from range Kravs backed by Raelin.

In case I lost you here's your army again:
Krav Maga - 100
Raelin - 80
Airborne Elites - 110
Kozuke Samurai - 100
Izumi Samurai - 60
Tarn Vikings - 50
TOTAL - 500

You loose some mobility and order markers could prove troublesome until you're used to moving that many figures but if you can manage to grab a hill with the Krav and Raelin you're sitting pretty. If you can manage to defend them with the Izumi or Tarns and grab glyphs your sitting very pretty.
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:34 PM

Well, that was a fast response. Brilliant ideas guys, and good to see Cyprien up their. I've always liked him. Keep it up!
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:45 PM

STEALTHRULER is surprisingly tart

You should check out the non multiple competitive army thread I made. It has around 20-25 armies in there you might be able to use. May I suggest Kozuke, Raelin, Krav Maga, and Sgt. Drake? A quick army....

My Customs My Maps
"For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast." Ephesians 2:8-9
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:46 PM
Likes the Look of Grungebob

KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby! KCU Master 2007 rolls all skulls baby!

I've always like Cyprien's concept too, but I can just never get him to work for me. So, I turtle a lot. I'm trying to move away from that but I gotta stick with what I know.

My only other suggestion is try and pick an army that you want to build (browse the forum, there's TONS listed here) and focus on building that particular army first. For me, I instantly feel in love with the Knights of Weston and the 4th Mass. However, those are hard to come by now. Find something that really makes you tick. Last time I looked waves 5-8 were at hasbrotoyshop.com so you might check there.

Remember, multiples of commons help a lot. Good luck and happy scaping!

EDIT: I forgot about Stealthruler's thread or I would have pointed you there in the first place.
Old September 10th, 2008, 11:56 PM

Hmmm.... I really got track down some more expansions, if what I've seen is anything the go by. But finding expansions in rural Aus is no mean feat.
Any Aussies know any good stores were I can find Heroscape (and not charge an arm and a leg)?
Old September 11th, 2008, 12:59 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

You might check out something I wrote awhile back:

Cheap, but effective 500 point armies

Excepting maybe the Deathreavers, going with just one set of any common is a bad idea in my opinion. But you can make quite a number of good armies with your collection. Use Raelin, ranged units, and stick to solid uniques. If you can track down Raknar's Vision- the pack with Nilfhem, Major Q9, Braxas, Theracus, and Jotun in it, you can definitely make some great armies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old September 11th, 2008, 01:23 AM

Well, I'll have a look for Raknar's Vision, but I don't like my chances. While were on the subject, any other expansions you'd like recomend? I'm already putting a list together of what to get. Heres what I have so far:
Warriors and Soulborgs
Raknar's Vision
Templar Cavarly (cause I find 3 just die too quickly, through I did manage to wipe out an entire Soulborg firebase with only taking 1 casualty. Man, you should have seen my opponent's face)

Last edited by shaunb451; September 11th, 2008 at 01:32 AM. Reason: Spelling Error
Old September 11th, 2008, 02:15 AM

Piawak has disabled reputation

Something you could try, if the people you play with are ok with it, is to use a proxy for units you don't have. This way you can try and find out which units you enjoy and go after those without spending money on units you may not end up using that much.
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:45 AM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!

Nakita Agents - 120
Krav Maga Agents - 100
Raelin - 80
Cyprien Esenwein - 150
Sonya Esenwein - 45

Total = 495

I think this one has a lot of potential. Good, hard to kill ranged units plus a hungry vampire.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion